Own a PC? The Nano is for you! Own a heritage Mac? Get stuffed!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Jackonicko

Retired
USB 2 ONLY?

Not just USB 2 cables in the box, Firewire as an option, but USB 2 only.

G3 iBook, some G4 Powerbook, many eMac, many iBook owners cannot use the new Nano.

Come on Apple, loyalty's supposed to be a two way process.

MikeM

Retired
I think Apple's finally realized that they're losing the battle to keep firewire afloat. USB 2.0 is what is in the majority of PCs and Macs will probably follow suit, at least with a downgrade to the number of firewire ports.

Like the shuffle, Apple probably had to pick one to support, since the device is so small. USB is clearly the correct choice.

enjoilax

HAHAHAHAHA!

When was Apple ever loyal? Lets see:

Applle ][ -> Mac then Classic -> OS X

Somone's forgetting their history, which shocks me that its you Jacko ;)

TheJosher

Music Is Your Friend.
Website
www.thejosher.net
Theyd almost deffinatly have to sacrifice size to add a Firewire port.. and since the nano is supposed to be tiny, and the vasy majority of their audience will probably have USB.. I guess they just went for it.

And if they're big mac people, most of them will probably want the bigger iPods anyway.

Josh

Eddie '92

MikeM said:
I think Apple's finally realized that they're losing the battle to keep firewire afloat. USB 2.0 is what is in the majority of PCs and Macs will probably follow suit, at least with a downgrade to the number of firewire ports.

Like the shuffle, Apple probably had to pick one to support, since the device is so small. USB is clearly the correct choice.
The first iPod Photos had both USB and Firewire cables in the box. Anyways this doesn't bother ne because I have a2 USB ports and 1 Firewire at the front of my PC.

Eddie '92

Zap

Mac Zealot
FireWire much better then USB 2.0 but PC makers use USB so much more Computers should have both USb and FireWire

Jump_Blueberry

Apple Preacher
Technically USB2 would be faster as it has a higher tranpher-rate!

Firewire is a bit slower on PCs,
but it's faster on Macs because Macs are designed to work with Firewire!

But I neither of them is better or worse!

Eddie '92

MikeM said:

The first iPod Photos had both USB and Firewire cables in the box. Anyways this doesn't bother ne because I have a2 USB ports and 1 Firewire at the front of my PC.

Eddie '92

NawdaKh

I don't see the big issue.

It's not that big of a deal having a thinner iPod with USB 2.0...

~tl

Jump_Blueberry said:
Technically USB2 would be faster as it has a higher tranpher-rate!

Firewire is a bit slower on PCs,
but it's faster on Macs because Macs are designed to work with Firewire!

But I neither of them is better or worse!
Actually the 480Mbps rate of USB 2 is a peak rate, while the 400Mbps of Firewire is a sustained rate. Which mean's that while USB 2 might be slightly faster for small files, when transferring large amounts of data Firewire often comes out on top. Also a lot of the USB protocol is done by the CPU, while Firewire is pretty much all done in the controller, which makes it a bit faster.

TOM

madmaxmedia

Website
www.madmaxmedia.com
The specs page says USB recommended, so USB 1 should work (just slower.) The Shuffle is not a barnburner at USB 2 anyways, if the nano is as slow then it won't make that much of a difference if you have to use USB 1.

Mac system requirements

* Macintosh computer with USB port (USB 2.0 recommended)

Windows system requirements

* PC with USB port or card (USB 2.0 recommended)
http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/specs.html

jparris1

Apple support tells me that the nano will sync over firewire. We'll just have to wait to find out I suppose.

north atlantic

apple was loosing money packaging a fire wire cord with the ipod because no one used it, i dont. most people have pc's and they dont have fire wire ports. apple isnt giving up on it, its just not that important for ipods

Jackonicko

Retired
If Apple supports Firewire (easy - the port ON THE POD is a dock connector) but doesn't include a Firewire-to-dock cable, that's one thing. As many of you say, USB 2 is the more commonly used (if inferior) standard and if only one cable is included, then USB 2 makes sense. But if it doesn't support Firewire (Apple's own standard) at all, and makes a 4 GB iPod USB or USB2 only, then it's a kick in the nutz to loyal Apple users.

iTSBLUE

MadPict said:
Logic would say offer the option of included cable - or drop the price and remove any cable allowing the customer to pick their preferred cable...
I really like that idea. It would be a smart move, and may increase the popularity of the Firewire.

MikeM

Retired
MadPict said:
Logic would say offer the option of included cable - or drop the price and remove any cable allowing the customer to pick their preferred cable...
This reply is to Jacko as well...

While I'm hoping Apple is just not advertising firewire as an option, its very possible that whatever is needed internally to support firewire just doesn't fit inside the tiny nano. Its easy for us to say "Hey, its got a dock connector, it should work!" but there may be stuff that needs to be wired from that dock connector that just won't fit. And if it came to having to choose USB or Firewire, USB is the obvious choice. It may be possible to say, "Hey, just make the thing a little thicker to fit everything" but I don't think Apple wanted to do anything but the thinnest they could manage. The size is huge selling point to this device.

As far as not including cables or having a choice, that's a terrible idea. That forces many folks who don't know the first thing about the cables to make a decision. Or also recognize that they need something extra. Online shopping would be a nightmare at best. The number of angry purchasers would be enormous.

Jackonicko

Retired
I can see that they'd want to include the most popular cable - since they'd get a slagging off if the package seemed incomplete. What concerns me is that Firewire isn't supported at all. I have six Macs in the household, at the moment, four of which are current models (iBook/eMac) have Firewire, and only two of which have USB2. Five have USB1

Bob

Retired
Website
forums.ilounge.com
Internal layout to one side for the moment, online shopping would not be a problem. You're asked to select a size, colour so why not choice of connector? As for people complaining about the lack of included cabling - you buy a USB printer these days they don't have the cable included. As long as it is pointed out on the box it isn't a problem.

Firewire is faster than USB2 over sustained transfer rates (learn something new here everyday;) ) so the likes of Jackonicko and others who have mainly FW should be catered for. I agree that ignoring Firewire users for the more 'popular' but slower USB2 is a mistake.

Give us the choice Apple...