Over-exposed bands

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

maogall

The Bluest Light
A thread for people to discuss over-exposed bands.

As for me, Nirvana is definitiley one of the most over-exposed bands, but that doesnt mean they suck. They still rule even with all the exposure. That's why they wrote the song "In Bloom."

R.I.P. Kurt.

Last edited:

raine

SY Fanboy
Website
www.cokemachineglow.com
I choose Coldplay. I mean, it's mom-rock now. I still go and listen to Moses or Clocks or some other songs I enjoy, but now I feel like some 40+ year-old woman is going to sneak up behind me and congratulate me on my music choice. Big turn off. Because that same mom is probably listening to Josh Groban or some other person whose music I despise. It's times like those that I listen to anti-mom music. I like moms, but mom-rock...ugh. So they took away a semi-decent band. Coldplay is so ridiculously huge, too. And Radiohead, Elbow and Doves do it SO MUCH BETTER than Coldplay but don't get nearly the same exposure. Can't start on my rant, though, but it is a frusturation. Ah well. And Modest Mouse. I DON'T CARE HOW MUCH YOU LIKE FLOAT ON! Good song, but if that's the only thing you like about Modest Mouse, then quit talking to me about them.

iPodsRTehCools

modest mouse, maroon 5 (dumbest name ever), and Muse (now since everyone listens to them it seems). i got an under-rated band too, Skindred. their Babylon cd rox

weezer0321

Raine, I agree with you about Coldplay for a different reason. I heard overexposed and the first band I thought about was Coldplay. Their new album comes out in mid June (or close there) and the single came out in what, April? They have been whoring that single to gain publicity for months....disgusting. The old stuff is good though, and im sure the new stuff will be too, but, they are whoring themselves.

Now modest mouse....I dont agree that they are overexposed. Last summer did they get thrown into the public eye? Yes, are they overexposed, no.

But something that irks me are musical elitists. Raine, you dont like your worried about getting turned off because a mom likes coldplay too? For me my musical preferences are for me, and I dont base my taste on how "indie" or "hip" my musical choices are. Do I like indie music, absolutely, do I not like a band because they are mainstream or overexposed....no. Musical choices, for me, are not a status symbol.

Sadako

Possibly Maybe
Website
freewebs.com
The fact that Maroon 5 is overexposed and the fact that I don't like them are simply coincidence. If you want an example here: "This Love" is used on nearly every tv show or commercial. You can't go two days without hearing that song. :rolleyes:

skateboarderx24

Alternative Fuel Advocate
Website
www.schumanautomotive.com
marlyn manson is mos def over exposed...yea he used to be cool for like a minute...now wats next a kidz bopz cd ( a cd with todays big kid songs for lil elementary kids) ..id so laugh if they had a kidz version of personal jesus..also another over exposed band...or singer..gwen stefani..sure no doubt was a good band but she is the most annoying singer ever..o this cd was made because it reminds us of our trip to jamiaca..blah blah now that shes on her own shes apparently tryn to bring the japanese culture over here by dressing like people do on sundays in tokyo wat they call harajuku...please..shes wearn harajuku styles from 1998..harajuku us wen you dress like a japanese band member ...if anyone knows about it and i typed sumtn wrong bout harajuku corrections wont hurt me ^_^

Sadako

Possibly Maybe
Website
freewebs.com
You are dead on. Gwen Stefani is overexposed with her "Harajuku" style. I'd love to see what a real Harajuku-born Japanese girl thinks of her. I mean she named her girls? (Read the lyrics to Rich Girl). She is all over MTV, and the whole Pepsi-commercial thing. And the beat to Rich Girl is pretty common on those VH1, MTV specials.

melsmusic

I don't think Nirvana is over-exposed in Australia. I don't hear their stuff anywhere ever. Occassionally when they do a 2500 song countdown a few of their songs show up. They never play them otherwise.

Over-exposed ....

I suppose in my mind ... Delta Goodgrem ... which is probably not an issue overseas ( :confused: )

It's not so bad now but it was Delta this and Delta that for so long .... and she can sing but it's pop music which gets annoying after 5 minutes.

raine

SY Fanboy
Website
www.cokemachineglow.com
Eh, about mom rock, I think you missed my point. I don't have a problem with moms liking music, because the mother of my friend (I was having grammar issues, so I typed it weirdly.) loves the Shins, and that's pretty cool to me. But when moms or whoever like Coldplay, or whatever band, that's fine, but the fact that it has reached moms like that means that Coldplay is severely overdone. They're freaking huge. I just don't like the fact that somebody can like Coldplay, and I'll be listening to them, and they'll be so happy to find a fan (they aren't hard to find) and I'm just like, no, we happen to share one same pick. Musically, I don't think Coldplay is outstanding, as I said earlier, but that's a totally different story. Of course, I am an indie rocker at heart.

melsmusic

Ummm mom-rock .... what does that mean.

I'm a Mum .. and these bands are who I like

Rolling Stones, AC/DC, Cream, Led, Nirvana, Oasis, Silverchair, Jack Johnson, Bob Dylan, Coldplay :)D ), Sex Pistols, Green Day, The Church, The Black Keys, Offspring and then I suppose which would fit mom-rock

Elvis Presley !!!

Hope I don't spoil anymore for you raine :rolleyes:

rogermexico

skateboarderx24 said:
marlyn manson is mos def over exposed...yea he used to be cool for like a minute...now wats next a kidz bopz cd ( a cd with todays big kid songs for lil elementary kids) ..id so laugh if they had a kidz version of personal jesus..also another over exposed band...or singer..gwen stefani..sure no doubt was a good band but she is the most annoying singer ever..o this cd was made because it reminds us of our trip to jamiaca..blah blah now that shes on her own shes apparently tryn to bring the japanese culture over here by dressing like people do on sundays in tokyo wat they call harajuku...please..shes wearn harajuku styles from 1998..harajuku us wen you dress like a japanese band member ...if anyone knows about it and i typed sumtn wrong bout harajuku corrections wont hurt me ^_^
skateboarderx24, you got everything 100% right except for "no doubt was a good band"

raine

SY Fanboy
Website
www.cokemachineglow.com
Hey, I'm cool with that. My mom likes cool music, it's just that there's a mom-rock category, and that category is sheepish and lame. In general, at least. My mom used to like Sammy Hagar. And she loves The Cars. So there you have it. Then again, I have some angst for Green Day and Offspring, but that's another story for another time.

melsmusic

Yes I agree mom-rock category sucks that's why I don't have much. I have to admit to a few Tom Jones (the later upbeat Burning down the House etc) stuff or the occassional Rod Stewart (beat me with a stick now hehe).

One of my friends (also a mom) favourite artist is Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds .. that's OK .. I don't get it but it's cool enough.

Others mom's who like Olivia Newton John and that style bore me to tears. Could not sit through one song let alone a full concert .. like some went to when she last toured !!

Back to the topic though .... Another band I started to like and got very over-exposed at least in Brisbane was

Nickelback.

If I heard "I like your pants around your feet" OR "I've been to the bottom of every bottle" .. ONE MORE TIME I WILL SCREAM ... they stopped it a bit now.

Don't you think if a radio station overexposes a band .. it can't work in the opposite .. you won't buy the album because you are sick of hearing it.

Lost

I have to say I quite enjoyed reading the majority of peoples thoughts on this thread.

I have always had a problem defining what an overexposed band is because it covers such a huge range of things which has been mentioned by lots of people. Heres my random thoughts on it:

Popularity, anything that is popular is by default overexposed and that covers a huge huge list of bands - probably the one reason why I dont really listen to radio or watch music channels anymore (ignorance is bliss when you get to my age)

Adverts, I have a stong aversion to bands or artists who get sponsered by major companies coke, mcdonalds etc but if people like that sort of thing then thats for them but it is a fast track for being overexposed.

Pay-music channels : another fast track means to being overexposed, I remember once sitting down for an hour and managed to see 8 versions of various Linkin Park songs another good way of being overexposed.

But my favourite way of being exposed is by being simply legendary such as Queen, Otis Redding, Jimmi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin etc, you can beat a bit of overexposure by decent musicians. The rest, ahhhhhh the way I look at it theres always the off button.

Ironhorse

LeifErikson owns you
The overexposure of Gwen Stefani just disgusts me. Her songs are exactly like vomit. A bunch of random slop slathered together. I still have yet to understand "Hollaback girl". She starts spelling out "bananas" for god's sakes. Good Charlotte is also overexposed.

neb

If Nirvana are going to get touted as 'over exposed' then I think there is an argument for the Foo Fighters being in the same boat. No one will know if they would have become such a success without Nirvana's drummer as their lead singer. My bet is probably no, but I'm not such a big fan of their music.

There is no doubting that the guy has talent, but it's not for me. Saying this I;ve tried to make this suggestion as impartial as ever, and I stick with my judgement.