Original iPad went bad. Now, replacement iPad "misfiring"

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

gedansky

I have had the iPad 1 for a little over a year now. It was bought for me, brand new, through the Verizon blow out sale just as the iPad 2 had been released. In recent months it started to manifest 3 main issues: 1) A slight clicking from the when the screen is depressed in certain areas (audible when the device is off) which was mentioned on a few sights as loose glue 2) increasing lack of touch screen responsiveness, and 3) dramatically decreased battery life (two hours of streaming video over WiFi kills 90% power).

Now, I personally think that iOS 5.1 is responsible for some of the touch screen and battery life issues, and I was clear that this really made a difference in performance. They offered to replace the device and gave me the last new one they had, which was running iOS 4.3.5. They offered to upgrade it to 5.1.1 for me, which I declined, knowing this would not be a good thing. They cautioned that I could restore my apps 1 at a time from the App store, but I thought I found a work around by attaching it as a new ipad to iTunes then syncing. This worked, but then EVERYTHING started firing off at once, and at random. Apps wouldn't respond to touch, opened at-will, and even the search screen came up and started randomly typing. I couldn't get any of this to stop, even on a reset, so I had to switch to iTunes to do a restore, which forced an upgrade to 5.1.1. NOW, the system is even more erratic, responding only intermittently to touch. Apps I choose don't open, other do, and some just open when I turn on the screen. My contacts open up , start flipping multiple pages, and then the search function opens and starts randoming typing. It's like the thing is possessed. I have restored to factory spec multiple times with no success. It behaves badly when empty and worse as soon as I load anything.

I will also note that, when resetting to factory spec and following the set up procedures, everything from the first slide of the unlock function is difficult. Sometimes it unlocks, other times I have to turn it off and on again or reset again. Then each stage, including choosing language and country is unresponsive. Choosing ZOOM will hose it entirely, and choosing backup to iCloud (or not) is often unresponsive, as are subsequent features. So, I end up turning it off and on again to get it through the full setup process.

I'm not sure if it's the hardware, or the software, but, whatever it is, I have tried reloading the OS from scratch several times and it doesn't help. Even the base device (with nothing in it) is of mixed responsiveness. I fear that initially it was fine, empty and running 4.3.5. But, in trying to load my apps, I hosed it, then upgrading to 5.1.1 proved bad for this device, because 5.X just doesn't run well on the iPad 1.

So, I have an appointment to go back to the store tomorrow. Unfortunately, they gave me the last 64gb iPad 1 they had yesterday. So, I know that best case scenario, they will have to order me another iPad 1 and hope I will have better luck, and worst case scenario, they will manage to "fix" the problem. But, as soon as I get home and try to reload, it will be a problem.

Any thoughts? Has anyone else encountered this? Is there something I am not thinking about that I need to consider when I go in tomorrow?

Thanks for your time and patience!

gedansky

In case anyone is interested, it was the digitizer failing on the new device. It has been replaced and the new device works great.