Organising audiobooks

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

jpread988

hi all,

i have done a lot of playing around with itunes, searching google and this fourm and still cant come up with the answer so i am hoping some one can help me,

i have a few audo books and all are causing me the same problem

eg:

i have the host on audiobook and it is in 3 parts i dont mind it being in three parts but i want it to appre as one thumbnail on my ipod (is this possible)

on itunes they appare as one thumbnail but when i sync it to the ipod it shows up as three ??

please say this is possible as it is driving my mad

kind regards
jamie

(using Ipod classic on windows vista)

GeoffJ3191

Hi,
I have had this problem since upgrading to IOS4 on my Touch.
After syncing, all my audiobooks are arranged as separate tracks, with the resulting order being all the books sorted by title, within track, thus

Book A Track 1
Book B Track 1
Book C Track 1
Book A Track 2
Book B Track 2
Book C Track 2

which is very annoying.
The only workaround for this which I have found is to go into the iTunes Library, go to Books, display the grid view, click on the Authors tab, and then back to the Books tab, and then resync.

I have found that I have to do this, every time that I sync. Very annoying.

If anyone has a better solution I would be very interested to hear it.

GeoffJ3191

cjmnews

Staff member
jpread988: Nope. They will always appear as separate files. I use playlists to manage my books. You can make your life a bit easier with the Smart Playlist method as the tracks you listened to fall out, so your place is always remembered.

GeoffJ3191: Make sure that each book has a valid track number in the tags (right click the book, choose Get Info) so that Book A has Track 1 of 4, Track 2 of 4, etc. This is the classic case of bad tagging.

GeoffJ3191

Thank you for your suggestions cjmnews, but the point of my note is that what was working fine before, is not working the same way under ios 4.

I don't particularly want to have to resort to playlists - this has never been necessary in the past and is an additional level of work. I don't know enough about them yet to discuss the pros and cons but I don't see why I suddenly need to use them. An audiobook should be a playlist by definition, since it is a logical grouping of related tracks.

My audiobooks all have ID3V2.3 tags, with filenames set to <Author>-<Book><Count> of <Total>
and track names set to <Book>-<Count> of <Total> which is more or less as you suggested.

The real issue is that this system has always worked before, on a variety of players, and on the Touch for about 2 years, but doesn't work now without the silly little workaround I explained, which is required after every sync.
After the order toggle in iTunes which I explained, the resync which fixes it happens very quickly so it must be just some kind of pointer update on the Touch.
When I turn on the Touch after the sync, there is a pause while itdoes a library update, then all is fine.

jpread988, does this workaround fix your problem?

Last edited:

Aqueo

I just posted the same problem as a thread, without seeing this one. I'm fairly sure in the past they appeared as seperate icons (like TV shows) - now I have 472 'audiobooks' but infact I only have about 10. This is really annoying :/