Orbino iPod case info

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Skrat

From order to actually receiving the case took 1 month and 10 days (approx.) in total for me. I had ordered on Feb. 4th and got it on the 15th of March. At the time I ordered there was a huge backlog and Orbino was trying desperately to keep up. I imagine they are still trying to catch up.

Nizee, you ordered on the 28th of Feb. so yours should (if the timeline holds true) receive yours on or about the 8th or 9th of April.

nizee

i just hate the idea that Michael promised me on his email "We will be sending your case shortly via U.S. Priority Mail. ", but never did after weeks of waiting and stop replying after that.

Did not even tell me that they are running back log, delays, repairing of original items, etc...... and their customers, who's not working for Orbino, have to tell me..???
Their only method is stop replying me?????
Maybe they should put on their website that there is a waiting period of 45days to inform the buyer.
This is very suspicious or shady for a business to do that.
Now, i thought eBay was worst and suspicious for some seller, but...............

:rolleyes: :confused:

Last edited:

Skrat

nizee said:
i just hate the idea that Michael promised me on his email "We will be sending your case shortly via U.S. Priority Mail. ", but never did after weeks of waiting and stop replying after that.

Did not even tell me that they are running back log, delays, repairing of original items, etc...... and their customers, who's not working for Orbino, have to tell me..???
Their only method is stop replying me?????
Maybe they should put on their website that there is a waiting period of 45days to inform the buyer.
This is very suspicious or shaddy for a business to do that.
Now, i thought eBay was worst and suspicious, but...............
:rolleyes: :confused:

In many ways, I agree. They should be more upfront with thier customers re: the wait time as well as explain the reasons (the reasons are not necessary but as an act of good faith).

I can understand that they are a new company that got inundated with orders that they simply could not keep up with. When you make a good quality product, you are bound to get a lot of orders. I applaud the introduction of the Ticket system although I have yet to see it actually work. I had a ticket number after my complaint and the 4 hour wait time is now over 15 days lol. It is new and needs to get ironed out.

If Michael is alone in this company (besides the craftspeople in Italy) they he should seriously consider hiring someone part-time to deal with the customer complaints/questions. If they are backlogged still, then adding new cases to your lineup is not going to help that (they have added a custom-made case and another Nano case). Deal with what is on your plate before you go for seconds.

I DO love my case now that I have it and have used it a few days. I don't regret buying it one bit. But I still feel that what I said above is valid.

ayn

Website
blog.andrewng.com
For those who returned this case, have your returns been processed and CC refunded? I have not heard a word from them and my status still shows "pending return", I emailed them just now and will see what happens...

Last edited:

GMCloud27

Life is 3D
Website
corporate.gonuudle.com
Ayn,

Out of curiousity, was your CC charged in the first place? Micheal made it clear to me that during this entire ordeal, my CC had not been charged and that all that would be taken care of when everything was completed (which it still isn't......:() It's a bit of a long explanation on why that happens but thought I should throw that out at you.

As for Orbino........I'm just too annoyed at them to even bother typing any more :mad:

~Garrett

ayn

Website
blog.andrewng.com
It's easy to dispute it with amex, I'm not terribly worried about this, but I'm just unimpressed that they haven't processed the return, I almost forgot about it! :)

Skrat

Well, I decided to keep my case but for those of you who are sending them back I can completely understand. As for when Orbino charged me, my card was never debited until the order was actually sent.

Hope they process your return soon Ayn!

sportura

Could you fill us in on your ongoing saga with Orbino, Garrett? Perhaps as a cautionary tale for those who value service as much as the product?

GMCloud27

Life is 3D
Website
corporate.gonuudle.com
Sportura,

It's hard for me to say due to the current status of everything but due to the lack of communication from Michael showing extreme disregard to service, I will do my best to explain what is going on.

After receiving my my defective croc case (attempt #2 to get it right (attempt #1 was the black one by mistake), I immediately e-mailed Michael and he made a very apologetic statement. He assured me that it was going to be taken care of and soon. He then called me from England (take it in transit from Italy) and we spoke on items ranging from the design to support. This was all exceptional and appreciated.

Michael then brought up the replacement case that is to be shipped out when production begins. He mentioned that the design changes and tweaks were completed and insured my trust with Orbino by making a committment of 10 days to produce my case and that he would stand by this committment.

This is where I begin to get ticked off:

I sent Michael a quick e-mail 14ish days after his committment inquiring on its status.

I am going to paste both his e-mail response, and my response back. Please keep in mind that the formality is low on my part (mainly due to exhaustion and anger).

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2006 9:00 PM
Subject: [#646614] Again, I'm a Bit Irate on Order #1185

Hello Garrett.
Thanks for your message.
We've completed the new production run and it should be in transit shortly. You can expect to receive your case in the next week and a half or so. Please don't hesitate to contact me if I can be of further assistance.
Kindest regards,
Michael

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michael,

This must be third or fourth time I'm speechless for words. Your response was something I had not even considered after what I have gone through with yourself and Orbino for the past months. You made a commitment. You even said and I quote "...and I will stand by that commitment." After ~14 days from that conversation, 4 days over your commitment window, I receive this e-mail from you saying I should expect my case in the next week and a half or so. I am going to be very clear here and blunt and I apologize for the crudeness: I am ####ed off!

Let us not forget that this all still revolves around my original order. Yes, I did receive the black case and it does the job and I am thankful for the compensation for the troubles before, however, that is still not the case I ordered and the case I wanted. This event then elevates after again contacting your customer sales 888 phone number which is not operational and has not been for over a month.

I really do not know what to say; I was quite excited to receive this case and conclude this rollercoaster ride by no later than Monday of next week after figuring in the transit time from Italy to your US shipping department. Now I get yet another vague and ridiculous time window without even a sympathetic apology for what you had mentioned before or of why (and this is a big one) I am waiting again. Sure, I can live with the one I've got now and it does perfectly well but that defeats the point of this entire transaction and of trust between the individual and the business and I held you to your commitment.

I hope that the news from you is enlightening after these previous e-mails and I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on this.

Regards,

Garrett Lynch

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it has now been exactly 7 days since I sent that e-mail and zero response back from Michael. I have close to no love for the company now and it'll be quite hard for him to get himself out of this one.

He needs to fix something over there at Orbino, they need to get their act together.

~Garrett

Last edited:

GMCloud27

Life is 3D
Website
corporate.gonuudle.com
Well, I received my new croc case today by surprise (kind of preferred it this way; there was no communication to this date from Orbino) and for the most part, satisfied. I'm curious whether or not I should spend some hours redoing my review and such to explain the revisions to the case :/

The only part that annoys me but I'm incredibly tired of going through this is the click wheel being marked up and a small circle that looks like a oil mark but will NOT rub off. I mean, how hard is it to assemble the cases with a microfibre cloth underneath? Michael did mention that there would be a small plastic film around the ring but from what I can tell, there is none whatsoever.

Fit is now perfect thankfully. It seats very well and very smoothly not to mention it being nice to remove. The dock port is now cut properly. Screws are recessed making it easy to clean (perfectly smooth). Top is tighter and considerbly smaller gap between iPod and top border. Screen protector is different (it's very confusing and I've only just seen it the past few minutes so I havn't figured out why there's two: one frosted plastic protector and one clearish (VERY marked up with fine scratches and *debris* in the plastic and I could only imagine how annoyed I would be watching a film through it) which is displayed as a "Durashield."

Well, time for some sleep due to it being now an hour ahead.

Cheers all,

Garrett

forsmark

ayn said:
It's easy to dispute it with amex, I'm not terribly worried about this, but I'm just unimpressed that they haven't processed the return, I almost forgot about it! :)
My return were quickly processed by Orbino, no problem whatsoever. Just wished I hadn't lost my Ipod =(((((((((((((((((((((((
(and all my music, simpsons and films.............
:( )

nizee

Finally received my Orbino Cognac last Friday!!!
Other then the BAD customer service, I like it and i'm going to keep it. I didn't use any of the the plastic shield that came with it, as i already have clear protectective film on top, 3D protector on wheel and BSE for the side and back.
I have to add a couple of washers for the belt screw, so as the screw would not protrude out too much to the leather. The last washer that comes in contact with leather i use plastic type, to have more secure/friction (also non-damaging to the leather when i tighten) hold with the screws.

Last edited:

Orbino

Website
www.orbino.com
Hello Friends. Orbino here.
We just wanted to respond to the messages above regarding customer service to put people's minds at rest.
Firstly, we'd like to thank all of you who put faith in our product. We acknowledge that we had some difficulties in the first few weeks of our product launch -- late shipments, poor communication, delays in processing order. We are extremely sorry that this led to unhappy or frustrated customers. We have taken these problems into account and made the following changes/improvements:

1) Dedicated U.S.-based customer service manager. We now have a dedicated manager who fields all customer service calls during normal East Coast business hours. Her name is Fran -- please feel free to contact her at our toll-free number if you have any questions or concerns. I think most of you will find her extremely personable.

2) Expanded inventory for fast turnaround of shipping. Starting today, we now are carrying stock of most models of our iPod Video case. They usually ship on the day they are ordered. If you choose the free shipping option, it takes approximately 4 days to arrive via Priority Mail.

3) Returns Processing. Customers wishing to return their product for a refund have 30 days to do so. They can either email us or call our toll free number. We then tag their order as "pending return." Once the return arrives, we credit the card immediately and the customer receives an email tagged "processed return."

Regarding GMCloud27 above, I'm glad he is finally pleased with his case. I had the opportunity to speak with him at length a few weeks back. A really nice guy with helpful suggestions.

Again, we are sorry things were not particularly efficient during the initial weeks of our launch. We accept responsibility and hope we have learned from our mistakes. We believe we have something special to offer the iPod world, and sincerely hope that our service will now exceed our customers' expectations.

Skrat

Orbino said:
Hello Friends. Orbino here.
We just wanted to respond to the messages above regarding customer service to put people's minds at rest.
Firstly, we'd like to thank all of you who put faith in our product. We acknowledge that we had some difficulties in the first few weeks of our product launch -- late shipments, poor communication, delays in processing order. We are extremely sorry that this led to unhappy or frustrated customers. We have taken these problems into account and made the following changes/improvements:

1) Dedicated U.S.-based customer service manager. We now have a dedicated manager who fields all customer service calls during normal East Coast business hours. Her name is Fran -- please feel free to contact her at our toll-free number if you have any questions or concerns. I think most of you will find her extremely personable.

2) Expanded inventory for fast turnaround of shipping. Starting today, we now are carrying stock of most models of our iPod Video case. They usually ship on the day they are ordered. If you choose the free shipping option, it takes approximately 4 days to arrive via Priority Mail.

3) Returns Processing. Customers wishing to return their product for a refund have 30 days to do so. They can either email us or call our toll free number. We then tag their order as "pending return." Once the return arrives, we credit the card immediately and the customer receives an email tagged "processed return."

Regarding GMCloud27 above, I'm glad he is finally pleased with his case. I had the opportunity to speak with him at length a few weeks back. A really nice guy with helpful suggestions.

Again, we are sorry things were not particularly efficient during the initial weeks of our launch. We accept responsibility and hope we have learned from our mistakes. We believe we have something special to offer the iPod world, and sincerely hope that our service will now exceed our customers' expectations.
Very classy of Orbino to respond in this thread to all the complaints! I think the changes they have implemented should resolve much of the frustration many of us have had to go through during the order process.

I still have my Orbino cognac-stained case and love it. It looks fantastic IMO and I don't regret buying it at all.

However, I do feel that Orbino still needs to address some quality-control issues before they ship cases (if they have not already done so) such as:

The screw issue: the screw for the belt clip is too long and protrudes into the leather at the back of the case. This could eventually poke through the leather and damage the iPod and it also prevents the fit from being as good as it could be as well as making it more difficult to remove the iPod when necessary.

Fit of the case around the screen: This is something that is perhaps difficult to control but should not be impossible. The large gap between the top of the screen and the case (refer to some of either my own or GMCloud's pics) can be unsightly and also allow dirt and other particles to enter between the iPod and the case which could lead to scratches.

Occasional scuffs or marks on the case from the manufacturing process: While only a few people have complained about receiving thier case and finding scuffs or other marks on thier cases, there are enough complaints to make note of. A handcrafted manufacture process can be the reason for this but it would be nice if any noticeable marks were removed.

Finally, the plastic screen protector that comes with the case.....I have not read of one person receiving the protector without scratches on it. It is easy to remedy and should be remedied. First of all, ensure the screen protector has NO marks on it and then place protective film over both sides that can be easily peeled off when we receive the case.

On a final note: Maybe we, as consumers, can be demanding and especially so on a new company that is trying to get a good start. We do understand this and in many cases we do applaud Orbino for the time and effort they have put into working with us to get things right. The changes that you have or need to implement cost money and that is not necessarily something a new company has a lot of.

With that said, we hope that Orbino continues to provide the quality of both product and service we have seen so far (with the changes they have made).

Thanks again for your reply to our concerns!

infinitedestiny

This is Orbino again.

Thank you Skrat for the frank and gracious message. We are very glad you are happy with your Cognac case. The handstained cognac model is an item in which we take particular pride.

If I may, I'd like to address the issues that you kindly point out:

1) Screw/bolt for the removable belt clip: It was purposely designed long to simplify insertion. A short screw is extremely difficult to position. It is meant to be screwed in only half-way. Problems occur if the user screws it in when the iPod is not in the case because the temptation is to keep screwing it in until it pushes into the leather. If, on the other hand, you screw it in when the iPod is in the case, you will only be able to screw it in until the halfway point because the rigidity of the iPod prevents it from going any further. As an additional point, if a user finds the screw really bothersome, it is worth noting that the clip really doesn't need the screw anyway. It fits extremely tightly into the slip on the rear so the screw is only for extra security.

2) Fit of the case around the screen: you will notice that the case was designed to be form fitting -- essentially transforming your iPod into a handstitched leather accessory. One of the consequences of the snug fit is that in the top area of the case, where the screen has narrow margins, the leather can tend to bow very slightly. A possible solution would be to have a snap closure at the top between the back and the front of the case. We consider this in the design phase but decided against it as it took away from the sleek lines of the case. We preferred to limit extraneous elements in favor of simplicity. In judging from the feedback, perhaps we could consider such a snap in a future version.

3) Marks on delivered product: our customers justifiably should expect a case in perfect, brand new, blemish free condition. The case does indeed get handled during the hand-stitching process. To avoid any mistreatment, we make sure that at all times during the crafting process, each case is individually wrapped in a soft protective foam and the metals covered with a protective film. We have made note of concerns from early customers and inspect each case before delivery.

3) Plastic screen protector: This was a temporary problem, resulting from a less that perfect delivery of screen protectors. We can, in fact, offer the screen protectors with a protective film that is peeled off when the user gets the case. We will do so on future deliveries.
On the subject of these screen protectors, we'd like to communicate to all existing customers that we will offer free replacement screen protectors for the life of our product. Hence, if they wear over time, simply send us an email and we will be pleased to send a replacement. That is the very purpose of designing a case with a removable protector instead of one that is sewn into the case.

It is true as Skrat points out above that each improvement has a cost associated with it. Nevertheless, as a premium case producer, we have to be prepared to do all it takes to make a case that is perfect. Demanding customers are our favorite customers because most of the time their requests provide us with valuable feedback.

Part of the reason we were so late in filling our initial orders is that we make all our cases in our own small workshop in Italy. We don't contract out to third party producers. This has an advantage. We can read all feedback from customers and respond with concrete improvements to our cases.

Thanks again to all of your for the valuable input.

IpodNaNo

I found out one of the Headquarters is here in Chapel Hill, NC and they said they have some cases there so I might go by and check one out.

GMCloud27

Life is 3D
Website
corporate.gonuudle.com
Well I must be brief due to time but I wanted to say most impressive Michael on your response and dedication to top-tier customer support. I am very impressed by your remarks on the screen-protector replacement policy you put in place and how you are using our feedback to perfecting your product.

I have enjoyed my case since arrived and love the feedback from others when they see it! It was a long, somewhat tremulous route to where I am now and some tensions were apparent but in the end, it came out alright. (Thankfully being a patient computer guy helped out in the wait time)

Cheers,
Garrett