Orbino iPod case info

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Amelie

<3
Oh, this info is distressing, I was just about to hop over to the website and purchase one.:(

duofold

Would have loved to owned this case (if the craftsmanship was as advertised).

But after a month-long wait and no recent update to my order, I've sent a message to Orbino that I wish to cancel my order.

Best of luck to those who have the patience and faith, particularly based on recent events and revelations.

Off to Contour's Showcase!

GMCloud27

Life is 3D
Website
corporate.gonuudle.com
Thanks duofold for the luck and my wishes to you on that cancellation (you'll probably end up calling your CC company :()

Still no luck today via phone or e-mail... hmm, good I didn't end up selling my Vaja or I'd be stuck!

EDIT: For those of us who are interested in the little things like this, here's some GoogleEarth Photos of:

1: Orbino Headquarters
2: Location of Robert Ventre Assosiates Inc., the registrant of orbino.com via WHOIS

(Sits and pretends I have an iPod with case)

Last edited:

duofold

Unlike ayn, my Amex hasn't been charged yet. I'll keep an eye on it though and it was good to hear from ayn that it apparently is easy to dispute a charge.

Have you thought about the Contour Showcase? I finally saw the thread that showed photos of the Showcase in action and it looks very promising.

As for Orbino, I bear no ill will toward them. I only thought that I'd have their beautiful case shipped to me within a day of placing my order, per Orbino's claims. When it appeared that they were inundated with orders, I was willing to wait it out.

However, I needed a case a couple of weeks ago. I'm tired of toting the ipod in the oem case - and it's still scratched despite my gentle handling. And based on the updates (or lack thereof) from their website, I cannot wait indefinitely.

BTW...just got back from my favorite city in the US...Chicago. Quite a lot of shopping later, I've got a few distractions to take my mind off of the loss of the Orbino.

ayn

Website
blog.andrewng.com
I'm considering ordering the showcase, I had one for my 4g and I know it will be a great case. It's just that after shipping it's like $40 which is kindda expensive for a plastic case... i know... I'm just looking for excuses not to buy it... lol... i did go to Fry's yesterday and they didn't have them yet... my pod is sealed with MF and IS so it won't get scratched... I want a case so I can clip it to my belt coz the cord of my IEMs is kindda too short to put the pod in my pocket...

duofold

Are you my alter ego? I thought exactly the same. In relation to the hypothetical craftsmanship of the Orbino & it's $65 tag, the $40 for the plastic Showcase (the shipping is the doozy), seems high.

But I'd rather spend $40 for something I like than $5-10 less for something I'm not so crazy about.

But both are veritable bargains next to the apple branded case...yikes, $100 for no play-through for the wheel or screen.

GMCloud27

Life is 3D
Website
corporate.gonuudle.com
Ahh great to hear about your visit here Duofold and yes, the shopping is very enjoyable! (Easy to spend a lot very quickly :))

Regarding the showcase, I too saw that thread about it and agree that it shows potential in the hard-case iPod products. While you continued to use your iPod as you mentioned, while waiting for your Orbino, I was stuck leaving it sealed still in its box (i had it replaced by AppleCare for a New one) for the past month..... It is hard when you commute each day 75 miles :(

Orbino wise: GREAT NEWS! (Well, so far)

After a week of silence and a duplicaiton of events that transpired 4 years ago when the Cambio released, I received an e-mail from Michael! :)

After a well-spoken apology, he did note that orders will be shipping out beginning tomorrow and the day after. One part I must compliment him on is by his dedication to making things right again (this was seen in the events on gageteer on the cambio release). If what is said is correct, I should have the case by Friday, Monday, or Tuesday.

Time to hope and cross some fingers!

GMCloud27

Life is 3D
Website
corporate.gonuudle.com
AT LAST, I finally received my case today......... and then I stared in disappointment....... I received the wrong one......

Anyways, the case received was a Black one, (ordered was a Croc Emb.) so while I await Michael's response, I continued my photoshoot of it.

I was and I think I still will do a full "iPod Lounge" review of it hopefully tonight. I've already taken about 200 megs of photos of it :) so we'll see.

I will be sure to keep you guys in touch, look for a new topic with the review tonight.

Cheers,

GMCloud

Last edited:

dalt_dalt

GMCloud27 said:
AT LAST, I finally received my case today......... and then I stared in disappointment....... I received the wrong one......

Anyways, the case received was a Black one, (ordered was a Croc Emb.) so while I await Michael's response, I continued my photoshoot of it.

I was and I think I still will do a full "iPod Lounge" review of it hopefully tonight. I've already taken about 200 megs of photos of it :) so we'll see.

I will be sure to keep you guys in touch, look for a new topic with the review tonight.

Cheers,

GMCloud
Woah--can't wait!!!
Sorry you got the wrong one, but I'm just psyched to see one and hear about its fit and quality! Finally!!!

duofold

Waiting for your review, GMCloud! I'm clearing out my schedule for tonight...well, maybe not. But I'll check it thoroughly once I return late this evening.

Yikes!!! about the wrong case. I hope you get a much, much more quick turnaround on the receipt of the croc embossed case - no month+ long wait.

As I said before, I couldn't wait any longer for Orbino so I canceled my order. Lo and behold, the following morning, I received a click and ship from the USPS that Orbino was set to send my order.

Looking at tracking info, I don't see that its delivery progressed any further than the shipper received electronic info. So perhaps Orbino never actually shipped the order. GMCloud...did you see that your order status on USPS actually changed from this status before receipt?

I actually still was happy to see that Orbino might have shipped my order despite my effort to cancel. If I get the case I saw online (cognac), I don't think I could be happier with any other.

I'm trying to read between the lines of your post about the massive amount of photos. Is the sheer volume of photos indicative of your attempt to show the intricate detail and craftsmanship? Or have you tried to document the flaws abound?

Eagerly awaiting your review!

ayn

Website
blog.andrewng.com
Michael replied to my email and specifically said my black case (which is what I ordered, let's hope he got the right size too) would be shipped next week, which is weird coz I got the shipment notification on Wed. I understand that only meant he generated the label Wed, but I hope at least he shipped them out Thursday, but we'll see... I'll get it soon enough.

--Andrew

GMCloud27

Life is 3D
Website
corporate.gonuudle.com
Duofold & Dalt,

Well, just finished anaylzing my new toy :). I am going to begin the type up before I run off and about 12:30ish/1ish AM CDT, I should have it uploaded (Won't be back until ~12ish).

USPS wise, well, this was a real treat I have to say. Originally, I had selected Free Ground but Michael flagged it for Overnight Express due to my e-mails to him on waiting. Ayn had mentioned he/she received a USPS Click & Ship e-mail so I waited patiently since Michael had mentioned I hopefully should receive the case this week. I unfortunately did not receive any e-mails so I figured I probably wouldn't get it until next week. Then, my "friendly" USPS mail carrier rang the door bell and to my surprise, an Express package :). My order was placed 2/2 so it probably goes somewhere like this: 1/28-1/31 shipped out Thursday; 2/1-2/x shipped out Friday.

Pictures wise, well, I was smart enough to forget to charge my two sets of batteries that were dead from the autoshow so I was a bit sadened that I had very little juice to shoot (I wanted to do a few RAW 12MP but my camera was nearly dead). With the power I had, I tried to capture everything from the box and ribbon to the screen protector (I should wait for the review, but I ended up using my MF which worked great rather than the OEM protector) and of course, the case itself.

Even though it's black, I have to say I like it! The one thing I wanted most and it's a very small thing to many individuals and that is that it does NOT scratch the iPod when bare. I'll explain this in more detail on the review. (In comparison, the Vaja 5G Classics and 4G iVods all scratch the iPod very slightly and grows the more times you remove it-> although on the 5G iVods, I cannot confirm this)

Alright, time to go back to smelling my Italian shoeish case :)

~GMCloud

EDIT: Oh, my apologies Duofold, in response to the attitude and prospective I am taking in terms of photos, I am trying to balance out the cons and pros. There are only a few cons to this case so not to worry :) (Flaws wise, design and whatnot)

Last edited:

sportura

Great to hear that you seem to be at least generally pleased with your new case. So, are you going to just keep the black case? I think the croc embossed would have been very unique and exotic...not trying to fan your desire even more. ;)

Ayn, really hope you get yours early next week. I'm going to check the several Apple stores in my vicintiy to look for the Contour Showcase as my backup.

As a side note...I've largely dismissed the testimonials ad nauseam of scratched iPods. I''ve attributed the multitudes of stories of scratched ipods to careless owners who scapegoat Apple and a phantom, innate, engineered deterioration.

Well, I'm beginning to think otherwise. I've owned my iPod for about a month and only have babied this jewel. As a result, never bothered to scrutinize the surface for imperfections until last night.

Upon watching a style.com video podcast, I saw what appeared to be speck of dust. Simple enough, I'll merely blow it off...to no avail. Then went to 'extreme' method of using my microfiber. Again, no success.

At this point, I examined my iPod carefully. Lo and behold, the entirety of the face of ipod is covered in scratches and mars. How??!! There are even fine scratches following the perimeter of the click wheel - is my finger scratching the ipod by merely using it as intended?

Well, the good thing is my burden has been relieved. I'm no longer so anxious to maintain the jewel like quality of my ipod. And I no longer will discount the countless cries of the masses. I will try and get an adequate case one way or the other, this weekend or by the end of next, if Orbino comes through.

Last edited:

Skrat

Congrats to the two of you on finally getting your cases. I placed my order on Feb. 5th and still have not received any word from Orbino but hopefully that will happen soon. It´s been a looong wait! lol