Orbino iPod case info

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

ayn

Website
blog.andrewng.com
Hmm... now the Contour showcase, which I originally wanted to get, is out, and my Orbino case is still not here, and it seems like it will never show up... I'm tempted to cancel and get the Showcase instead... damnit!

And Orbino charged my CC already too...

--Andrew

duofold

Has anyone received their case yet? Has anyone seen their order status change from 'batch processing' to anything else? According to Orbino's website, it's only the black case that was delayed until 'mid-February'.

There was never any mention of delay for the other colors.

applefreak

Orbino... I´d rather have a Vaja case

I´m partial to Vaja since I´ve had their cases for a long time for my PDA and Rio Karma player. I think that if they continued producing the classic case it´s far better and cheaper than Orbino. That´s me though!

ayn

Website
blog.andrewng.com
I have a Vaja for my phone, just want something different... And we all had the false impression that the Orbino cases were in stock and would ship right away... now it's taken longer than customizing a Vaja case...

If I can find the Contour case in a store I'm prolly be getting that.

Last edited:

duofold

Same boat as you, Andrew. I was initially interested in the Contour Showcase. Now I'm thinking of going ahead and ordering the Showcase now that it's available.

When & if the Orbino arrives (if I can't cancel), they do accept returns for full refunds.

If only Orbino would update their website with a better estimate for shipping, I could hold out.

GMCloud27

Life is 3D
Website
corporate.gonuudle.com
Well guys, this is becoming an issue. Even though I stated in my latest e-mail that I would not post until Friday, I figure I'd "notify" the group of us who are still waiting on our cases. Rather than me re-explaining everything, I'll paste my latest e-mail :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2006 7:48 PM

To: '[email protected]'

Subject: Order Payment Withdrawal Notice Pending 3/3/06

To Orbino Customer Care,

I wanted to follow up on the below e-mail sent yesterday on a few parts regarding my order (#1185) placed on 2/2/06. I am most displeased with the lack of customer care received and I regret that I will have to take the proper action regarding my case order due to the lack of communication and time taken to receive the product. Before I go into that in more detail, I want to emphasize that I would still love to receive my case (mainly because I need one now and the fact that I just lost a month of my time when I could have ordered another Vaja is most displeasing), however, I want you to put yourself in your customer’s shoes. Here is a customer who has never heard of your company (and he’s heard of a lot) and sees a case at a higher-than-average price tag with no information or feedback from the community. He purchases the case due to the design and craftsmanship and fellow community members who are also purchasing the case. He calls them up the first time and speaks immediately to a representative who is knowledgeable on the product, courteous, and reassuring the legitimacy and care to their customers. He is told that there was an estimate of two weeks for delivery which was much higher than expected, but understandable. It is also understandable for a flux of +1 week more due to an overwhelming demand. It is now over 4 weeks and even after being told that the “Processing” tag on the website indicates the cases are done and being shipped from Italy to Orbino’s offices, the website still states Processing after almost 2 weeks. To add, the customer then calls each day and at key times (9AM, 12PM, 3PM) and receieves no response and a full mailbox for the company (which indicates nobody has been there) for 6 days straight. To the customer, this can seem extremely fraudulent or traits of a poor company.

This simply is unacceptable in all cases (no pun intended) of customer support. I would be embarrassed to have my company lack in this area of business and I strive personally for the best customer service available. That is what creates a repeat customer base and this is why Vaja has done so well alongside various other companies. Whether being gone to visit the factory or on personal leave, you cannot just pick up and go and leave your customers waiting.

It will be a long time before I can vouch for Orbino and even harder to refer anyone until this is cleaned up. I will be posting a warning to prospective buyers on Friday, March 3rd, to give them an idea of what they are in for if a case is ordered. I really hate to do all this because I saw your company’s future as being very bright with great possibilities and I hope that this is resolved before Friday. I will also ask that if this e-mail is not replied to with a status of the order and time until I receive it by Friday, March 3rd, I will have to contact my credit card institution to file a dispute to refund the payment (this is only due to the lack of communication between customer and company) to Orbino Leather Goods.

I do hope that this is resolved and I can finally receive the case I ordered a month ago.

Regards,

Vista Wireless(R)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would love to have this case but I have a feeling I'll be taking my Vaja back out of its box and using her again.... :(

Lets just put some hope out there guys, cross our fingers.

ayn

Website
blog.andrewng.com
Michael from Orbino has been fairly responsive to my email inquiries, he usually reply within a day. And in his last reply he indicated he would understand if I had to cancel the order. I decided to wait, and earlier today I sent him another email to see if he would have a better estimate on when it would be shipped. I am awaiting his reply...

I'd also like to note that the overwhelming demand for the Orbino cases was due to this board, and a few blogs like Engadget and Luxist. If they cannot deliver and don't treat their customer right, the very same boards that helped promote their products will also destroy their reputation.

Last edited:

GMCloud27

Life is 3D
Website
corporate.gonuudle.com
Oh, to note, Applefreak, on the comparison between Vaja and Orbino price wise (classic Vaja), it will be cheaper with Orbino still if you can get the free shipping (and DO NOT bother getting any shipping above that or you'll just throw it away; I'm very thankful I ended up doing the free shipping or I'd be having a field day) you'll be saving ~5.00 on average depending on the model. Vaja charges 17.00 (off memory) for FedEx 2Day.

GMCloud27

Life is 3D
Website
corporate.gonuudle.com
Good to hear ayn. Hopefully he'll be getting back to me sometime this year.. :/ (heh, maybe I'm just no longer loved :(). Micheal (the only rep from Orbino in the US) was great to speak to in person the first time, and I spoke with him a few weeks back when clarifying the Pending and Processing (which was not explained on their site).

To me, it's a joke I am waiting this long for a case that we all thought were in stock and with a turn-around time that has expired twice now (2 weeks *2).

I just want my case, lol!

(Then again, the record I've waited was a little over two months for a Vaja one time but it was free so I could not complain much)

ayn

Website
blog.andrewng.com
At least we know when and if we finally get our Orbino cases, they will be hella exclusive, as it takes f'king forever to buy one. Maybe we'll even make some money if we decide to sell ours... :)

I'm gonna stop by Fry's to see if they got the new Contour showcase...

ayn

Website
blog.andrewng.com
GMCloud27 said:
LOL!! Good point! As for Fry's, it's funny you mention them since I think they had it when I stopped in; (checking right now)
THEY DID???!! Ok, I'm there! I spent ~$40 on protective films alone, another $30 on a case wouldn't be that bad... Let's hope the Orbino cases do exist and will show up one of these days... LOL!

--Andrew

ayn

Website
blog.andrewng.com
btw, Michael also mentioned that he would ship via USPS Priority Mail when he gets the case... I guess that sounds like a free upgrade, though it costs about the same as UPS Ground... It is usually faster though so I have no complaints...

GMCloud27

Life is 3D
Website
corporate.gonuudle.com
Wow, now that's quite a bit on films :(. (You must have purchased a couple of them, heh, I figure it costed me $15 after shipping for my MF)

Fry's wise, since you're in Cali, I'm not sure how their inventories are since in IL we only have one (that I know of) an anything on Outpost is at the store 99.9% of the time. I remember seeing one of the contours and on their website: http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4717849?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG it shows the Video Contour case and I'm assuming it's the showcase? :/ Could have sworn I saw the black trim with new opening mech. .... hmm, maybe I'm just getting a bit tired

ayn

Website
blog.andrewng.com
Yeah, that's the only one IIRC... I have IS in the back and MF in front... Not exactly sure how much they cost total but definitely too much for few pieces of film... LOL...

GMCloud27

Life is 3D
Website
corporate.gonuudle.com
Orbino wise, USPS is nice for me since I'll be guaranteed 2 days; 3 days for yourself. Cost though is much cheaper by USPS than UPS (even with a business account). You figure 3.85-5.04 for USPS, 7.00+ with UPS Ground, not to mention the time

sportura

Deja Vu?

I thought this episode sounded all too familiar. At the time of the official release of this case by Orbino, I was too wowed by the appearance of their 5G case.

However, I thought I recognized the Orbino badge. And after following this protracted ordeal, my memory has been jogged. The experiences customers are enduring now seem to mirror those that were tempted during Orbino's nascent days over 4 years ago with the introduction of their case for the Palm V.

Initial flurry over the appeal of their luxury case soon deteriorated into cries of poor or nonexistant customer service (at that time, a fellow named 'Michael Ventre' followed seemingly inimitable service with a disappearing act) and shoddy craftmanship.

The spiral out of control can be followed at The Gadgeteer's Forums (particularly the 2nd page/also, add 'http:' to the front of the following address):

//forums.the-gadgeteer.com/ubb/Forum283/HTML/000001.html

Good luck to all of us who ordered the iPod 5G case, including me. But at the rate in which Orbino appears to mimic their previous unraveling portends quick searches for alternatives and contacts with credit card companies.

GMCloud27

Life is 3D
Website
corporate.gonuudle.com
Wow.....Thanks sportura for that link, a bit scary to see a near perfect deja vu :( I just hope it's sorted out soon now, not to mention that I hope to not have some of the problems the guys with Palms had in terms of craftsmanship and condition