• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Open Invitation for Users of non-iPod players

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

MikeM

Retired
Just as a 'heads up' to folks here and as a beakon to vistors, there has been some talk between folks here, at the iHP forum site MisticRiver.net, and the Rio site Riovolution.com.

There is interest in establishing possibly a new site or some other arrangement where we can all peacefully discuss various digital audio players and related topics.

Currently, there seems to be a lot of bad information out everywhere about the different products and those that use them. Open discussion is difficult on any one particular site because there are always some trolls and fanboys that ruin it for everyone else.

So, I've been over at both the iHP and Rio sites and have been very well received at both. I hope that folks from those sites can feel just as welcome here.

So, let's all be gracious hosts!

Hopefully, this will help ease some of tensions that have existed here lately and can start to build a better community.

To anyone visiting, please feel free to post here as a hello/introduction, or head out anywhere else on the site.

MyDayStrong

Hello

Looks like i am the first one to venture over here. I am a regular over at Riovolution.com and was graciously invited here by MikeM. I

think it would be awseome to have a forum where we can all discuss portable players. We Also this forum software reminds me of head-fi.

I love my Rio, but that doesnt mean i dislike other players. Infact i came very close to purchasing an ipod before i bought my rio. So please no flamming.

Well just hoping more will follow in my footsteps and venture over here.
Here is the thread that was started at Riovolution by mr. MikeM. We showed him respect and i hope you will do the sane for us. :)

edit: how can i get an avatar?

Last edited:

MikeM

Retired
MyDayStrong- Welcome here and great idea with the sig!!!

We don't do avatars here- I guess it was chugging the database down too much. We do allow sig images though- 300x50 and 5k max.

I forgot to add that the basis for starting this whole thing came from folks who run the other two sites thinking it would be great to be able to set up 'meets' where people could get together and actually try these various devices.

I've already been contacted by an iHP owner near me and we will hopefully be getting together soon. Now Adam can complain a little less about iPod users having no clue about the competition. :D

tiki_god

Website
www.goveg.com
WELCOME

welcome all from Rio. and thanks to MikeM for being such a great ambassador for ipods over @ the Rio site. I like this new concept, and would hope others @ this site openly welcome our new visitors!:)

arspy87

Should we meet and chat in IRC? The Riovolution channel is irc.freenode.net #riovolution if anyone's interested.

Nicholas

Karma Owner
I'd like to also welcome all the owners of iRivers and Rios. To be honest i've never seen an iRiver iHP in person. And i saw my first Rio player about 2 months ago.

Edvard_Grieg

Howdy,

I'm one of the Mods over at Riovolution and wanted to say 'hi' and thank Mike for getting all of this going between myself and Sweet_Spot (Mistic Mod).

The ultimate goal that we all have is to create another board independant of these three which would be a DAP users board focusing on DAPs in general and from there setup real life meets etc where users of each player can look at the other available players.

I welcome each of you to come over to the Riovolution and Mistic Forums and introduce yourselves in those threads as well.

Adam

Brushed Steel Guy
I am all for the idea, 100%.

If, and only if people can behave themselves. I am open for a discussion, but when people start talking platforms and OS'es, then it just gets childish.

Too often I have seen people *cough* Jackonicko *cough* ruin a good conversation and turn it into name calling.

Also, thanks for closing those threads, they weren't going anywhere fast.

Last edited:

Edvard_Grieg

Yeah I have read threads on each of the forums that could be characterized that way, however, I would have to say that objectively Riovolution and iPodLounge seem to be the worst which I simply attribute to the higher number of users, posts etc.

Anyway though, this has been a topic of discussion between Sweet and myself initially, and now Mike is being brought in on it as well. Essentially we all recognize that there will have to be substantial moderating in the beginning so that people understand what is acceptable and what is not. Further, those that are 'overly' vocal in a zealous mentality will not find comfort in the new forums, and consequently they won't be there long either because they'll be outnumbered, or because they'll be banned; kinda darwinian in a way ;)

cinderella217

I'm glad to see this topic. I hope that this idea of a "place for all" to be discussed rationally is a success. :) I know that some believe that they have THE player - the one that does everything. Personally, I needed several different ones to meet most of what I wanted out of a player. I hope that this can be a place that I can learn more about what each has to offer.
Thanks guys.

BTW - I have an iPod, iHP, Zen, and PJB100. Together they offer me the features that I wanted most. :D

divad6719

Hi all,

I'm one of the "regulars" over at misticriver, up until 4 weeks ago I had an iHP 100 but I sold it and bought an iPod 20gb.

This is my first post here but not the last I hope, this forum helped me out (via the search function) a great deal when I first bought the iPod as I had some problems with the initial set-up so a big thank you for that.
I also gleaned a lot of info here before my purchase, so I think there is a place for the kind of cross-comunication being proposed just now. It is nice to know what you're getting into before you take the plunge. :)

I think what is going on here (and elsewhere) could be a big benefit to all and I hope to see some of you guys over on mistic. :cool:

robcharlus

I really hopes this works. I'm tired of seeing insults tossed around about the various players and those who purchase them. It seems to me that it is inall our interests to have as much information about the players availabe so that people can make an informed choice. Also, competition between the players is to everyone's benefit -- whatever player you may think is the best, would you want to live in a world where that was the only one available and the maker had no incentive to stay competitive?

Jackonicko

Retired
Adam,

There always has to be one person who has to start name-calling or being provocative, and I'd have laid good money on it being a whingeing Aussie with a new iRiver...... (Now this is where I need an icon that winks AND rolls its eyes).

Like many Podders I have no problem at all when someone buys a product they like, whether I like it or not (I quite like the exclusivity of being one of the last Gen 1 users in town, especially now you can't get them as refurbs...) and I offer a warm welcome to our new e-buddies.

But when someone comes in offering gratuitous insults, insisting that anyone who buys an iPod is an ill-informed fashion victim and member of a cult, and who then runs down my platform of choice when this forum forbids me to offer a robust defence, then yes, I will react with a little hostility and I will challenge anyone who posts ill-informed nonsense.

But fortunately our visitors here seem to be cut from a very different cloth to Tombo, and I therefore welcome them with enthusiasm. Indeed it would be nice if, as well as introducing themselves they could also 'introduce' their player of choice, by giving a brief pen portrait of its features, and (if they can do so without knocking the iPod) give a calm perspective as to what they see as its advantages and disadvantages.