Only 13.9 GB!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Macman

I'm sure this has been mentioned before and that there are probably tons of excuses, but I have to say I'm disappointed to learn that my new iPod only has a 13.9 GB capacity.

I feel a little ripped off. That extra 1.1 GB is a lot of songs. Maybe it's just me but when I bought something that clearly indicated that it was 15 GB I fully expected 15 GB. Now that I read the tiny legal disclaimer on the box it says "actual formatted capacity less" so I can't say I wasn't warned but did anyone else expect 1/15th of the entire capacity advertised to be useless? Surely the tiny OS on the iPod is nowhere close to that. My whole Jaguar System Folder is half that.

Sorry, but I just had to vent. I LOVE my iPod but I am just disappointed to realize that I will fill my little white jewel a whole 220 songs sooner than expected. Sigh.

Cheers,
Macman.

DOA

This topic has been discussed here and in many other threads already. This happens with your computer hard disk as well so it's nothing you should be shocked about.

mongoos150

If you had done *any* research on the topic before buying the iPod, you would be aware of this; it's nothing new. And yes, I expected it because I (and most people) know the issue with compiling data and the number of kb/gb etc...

ZoidbergD

Exactly. My iBook's 10GB internal drive has a maximum capacity of 9.36GB. It's perfectly normal and accepted.

BigIzz

Any 15 gig hard drive you ever buy will be 13.9 gigs or thereabouts, don't let it get you down. Think how ####ed youd be if you bought a 3 terabyte drive in a few years and you are a few hundred gigs short...

docevi1

Website
students.ncl.ac.uk
the reasoning is quite simple, a Gigabyte is 1024MB which is 1024kb. Computers use this because it is easier to represent in Binary over the Base 10 number 1000. Humans however understand Base10 numbers far easier so:

Manufacturers like to say 1000mb = 1GB, so for every Gig, you are losing data. In reality Manufactures are saying 15GB = 15 Billion bytes so divide 15Billion by 1024/1024/1024 gives you your answer of 13.9

Stefan

Drewpy

Website
www.drewperry.co.uk
BigIzz, I like your thinking :D

Now, lemme work this one out... you purchased a 3000Gb drive (or 3 Terabyte). That'd be 3,000,000 Mb, or 3,000,000,000 Kb, or 3,000,000,000,000 Bytes. However <- many bytes is actually, now using 1024: 2929687500Kb, which is 2861022.949Mb, which is 2793.97Gb.

So you purchase a 3 Terabyte disk, only to find that your a little over 206 Gigs short :D

BigIzz

Anyway even if a 15 gig drive were really 15 gigs, all of your files would increase in size by the same proportion so it would still hold the same amount of data.

px2so

mongoos150 said:
If you had done *any* research on the topic before buying the iPod, you would be aware of this; it's nothing new. And yes, I expected it because I (and most people) know the issue with compiling data and the number of kb/gb etc...
Exactly.

Macman

mongoos150 If you had done *any* research on the topic before buying the iPod said:
Wow! 2 people that must work for Apple on the same board. As much as I appreciate your air of condescension, not everyone is as blessed to have studied bits and bytes. My post was in no way intended to offend and unless you're emplyed by Apple's marketing department you have earned no right to express your belittling opinions.

I do, however, thank those in this thread who have found a way to educate me about hard drive specifications without the unnecessary ridicule. That I do appreciate.

Macman.

px2so

Macman said:
Wow! 2 people that must work for Apple on the same board. As much as I appreciate your air of condescension, not everyone is as blessed to have studied bits and bytes. My post was in no way intended to offend and unless you're emplyed by Apple's marketing department you have earned no right to express your belittling opinions.

I do, however, thank those in this thread who have found a way to educate me about hard drive specifications without the unnecessary ridicule. That I do appreciate.

Macman.
Man, wouldn't that be a dream job? Thx for the compliment, just makes my day.

Tlak

It's called research.

And I mean that in the best possible way, but this has been way over-discussed. As said, any hard drive is not actually what it says it is. Didn't you notice this with your computer's hard drive? A 60gb comes out to only 57.7gb, losing 2.3. But it's not really "lost", just being figured in a different way.

mongoos150

Macman-
We were just stating the obvious. Your comments are unwarranted and immature. Don't take our comments personally! Lighten up!

Macman

Mongoos150,
Because it's obvious to you does not mean that it is obvious to all newcomers to this board and doesn't give you or anyone else the right to be condescending to those that were not aware. To do THAT is considered arrogant and immature. I don't mean to take things personally but to be put down and/or attacked, however indirectly, on a person's first post to a new board sounds a little harsh and unwarranted. No? I belong to several other boards where, I guess I'm fortunate, there are no personal attacks (unless provoked directly) and there is a sense of community. People willing to guide and educate no matter how obvious the answer may seem to some.

No hard feelings,
Macman.

caterinka

Fwiw, Macman, I'm backing you on this one. It's never OK to be snotty, and it's particularly bad karma to be snotty to a new kid. Don't worry, the mods are omniscient (well, nearly) and notice all crummy behavior. We try to let these things live out their lives as productively as possible, but this conversation ceased to be productive a while ago. It's locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.