on-the-go playlist does not work

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

franki

On my new 8GB Nano running firmware 1.0.1, playlist creation does not work as advertised: It would not add an album to the playlist if I select the the album and hold the center button. My friend's 4GB 1G Nano running firmware 1.0 has no such problem.

It appears that the 2G Nano's are not ready for prime time. If you are considering buying one I'd suggest wait until all the bugs are ironed out.

Does anyone know if I could revert back to firmware 1.0? If that's not possible, can I return the Nano to Apple for an exchange for a brand new Nano with the original v1.0 firmware?

/fi

franki

BTW the firmware was upgraded to 1.0.1 from the factory original version (presumably 1.0) by iTunes 7.0.

/fi

Jesse Hollington

Administrator
Website
www.ilounge.com
Interesting.... I do not appear to be having this problem with my 2Gb or 4Gb 2nd-Gen Nanos, and I'm running the same firmware version (I can't see the 8Gb units being any different).

I assume you're selecting the album from Music->Albums->(album name).

Is your Nano Windows or Mac formatted? That's about the only thing I could see being different...

franki

jhollington said:
I assume you're selecting the album from Music->Albums->(album name).
Yes. I also just found out that Music->Artists|Songs|Genres|Composers->* also does not work.

Interesting, Music->Playlists->New Playlist 1 is the only thing that works (i.e. if I select a previously saved playlist, it does get added to On-the-Go playlist as advertised)

jhollington said:
Is your Nano Windows or Mac formatted? That's about the only thing I could see being different...
Windows.

LanceUppercut`

Confirmed on my 8 gig nano. Holding the middle button down on album or artist does nothing, but on playlists it works.

justinkoko

work on mine but damn ipod froze on me for the first time

ipod 8gb black..1.01

franki

OK, I think I know exactly what the Nano bug is. Before I post it, I want to confirm if this is a firmware v1.0.1 bug, or v1.0 bug. I think this bug is more likely to occur in the 8GB model.

Does anyone know how to revert the firmware to the factory 1.0 revision? I found out restoring to "factory" settings apparently does not restore the firmwre to factory v1.0.

/fi

Jesse Hollington

Administrator
Website
www.ilounge.com
In order to revert to v1.0, you'd have to actually have that version of the firmware available. Since it can't be downloaded from Apple, it's probably not realistically possible unless you happen to know somebody who received v1.0 on their Nano when they bought it (in which case it would still not be simple, although you could theoretically image one device to the other if they were the same capacity).

djc2004

on the go playlist worked for me when i added songs...

i have the 8gb nano with updated firmware and itunes 7.0

franki

Since I can no longer revert back to firmware 1.0, maybe someone who has not upgraded can test this bug and determine if it was introduced in v1.0.1.

The bug: There's a limit of 1000 songs when it comes to adding album to the on-the-go playlist.

To Apple: Here's how you can reprodce the bug:
Transfer songs to iPod Nano running v1.0.1 firmware totaling less than 1000 songs, say 990. Then click on an album to add it to the on-the-go playlist. This album will then be added as expected. However, if the number of songs in the album that is added to the playlist, plus the number of actual songs total 1000 or more, you can no longer add albums to the on-the-go playlist. You can confirm the limit is in fact 1000 by repeating the exercise by adding albums consisting of only one song.

It seems Apple simply jammed the firmware made for maxium 4GB player into an 8GB player without first testing it. It's possible the bug may also exist on 4GB Nanos for which Apple claimed to be capable of supporting up to 1000 songs, but is not likely to appear since you'll probably fill up the 4GB before hitting the 1000 song limit. But on an 8GB player the chance of hitting it is much greater.

If Apple does not release a new version of the firmware that addresses this bug in the next few days I think I'll just return my 8GB Nano.

/fi

Jesse Hollington

Administrator
Website
www.ilounge.com
Not to necessarily suggest that you don't have a legitimate concern with this problem, but I'm quite amazed that anybody actually adds over 1000 tracks to their On-The-Go playlist at once.... :eek:

The bottom line is that I'm not sure this is a "bug" so much as it's simply a limitation...

The OTG playlist is generally intended for listening to a few tracks when you are out and about and can't get back to your computer to manually set-up a playlist.

Note that the 5G iPod has the exact same limitation, so I don't imagine it's anything to do with the 4Gb Nano firmware not being "expanded".

I'm guessing Apple had to set a limit somewhere, and wouldn't expect that somebody would listen to over 1000 tracks in one sitting.... :)

franki

jhollington said:
Not to necessarily suggest that you don't have a legitimate concern with this problem, but I'm quite amazed that anybody actually adds over 1000 tracks to their On-The-Go playlist at once.... :eek:

The bottom line is that I'm not sure this is a "bug" so much as it's simply a limitation...

would listen to over 1000 tracks in one sitting.... :)
I think you misundertood the nature of the bug. The bug is that if you have 1000 or more songs on you Nano, and you have an empty OTG playlist, you cannot a single album to the OTG list.

/fi

franki

Here are some examples of this bug, all with initial empty OTG playlist, and all concern adding albums to OTG playlist:

1- Start with a Nano with 1000 or more songs. You cannot add any album to the OTG list. You cannot create an OTG at all.

2- Start with a Nano with 990 songs, you can all an album with 14 songs, and no more afterwards. You can only create an OTG with more than 1 album worth of songs.

3- Start with a Nano with 980 songs, add an album with 14 songs, another with 12 songs, and no more afterwards. You cannot create an OTG playlist with more than 2 albums worth of songs.

/fi

franki

franki said:
2- Start with a Nano with 990 songs, you can all an album with 14 songs, and no more afterwards. You can only create an OTG with more than 1 album worth of songs.
Meant to say, "2- Start with a Nano with 990 songs, you can all an album with 14 songs, and no more afterwards. You can only create an OTG with no more than 1 album worth of songs.

/fi

jough

El Guapo
Website
poetryx.com
I confirmed this on mine, after assuming that the issue was a KTC problem. I have 986 tracks on my 8Gb 2G nano now, and after adding a few individual tracks without issue I was able to add Abbey Road and then nothing else - no albums, no individual songs, nothing.

I'll have to mess about with it some more, since I almost never add an album to my On-The-Go playlist, but rather just individual songs. I wonder if it'll get to the point where the added songs don't flash and add to the OTG playlist as well.

LanceUppercut`

You can creat OTG playlists, just not utilizing Artist or Albums. My 8 gig nano has 1362 songs on it and I can add individual songs to the OTG playlist. I can even Highlight entire playlists and have them added. But if I highlight an entire artist like Michael Jackson, that won't be added. It doesn't even blink.

spandex

I'm seeing this on my 8Gb too... 1500 songs loaded, so I can't add anything other than individual tracks to my OTG playlist...

franki

Can anyone confirm if this bug also exists in the factory version (v1.0) of the firmware? I need to know so I can decide if I should exchange my Nano for a working one, or return it until Apple fixes the bug.

On the subject of firmware, I'm confused by Apple's naming scheme. The 6/28/2006 ipod Updater claims to contain firmware 1.2 for the Nano. Yet the Updater has been superceded by iTunes 7.0.0.70. But iTunes installs v1.0.1 firmware. So what is the latest firmware?

/fi

Jesse Hollington

Administrator
Website
www.ilounge.com
The firmware for the 1G and 2G Nanos are completely different strands that are specific to the two different models.

For the 1st-Gen Nano, the latest firmware is v1.2.
For the 2nd-Gen Nano, the latest firmware is v1.0.1.

(Note that iTunes 7 will still install the 1G's v1.2 firmware on the 1G Nano if you connect it and restore it).

Most 2G Nanos seem to be shipping with v1.0.1 already, although some have reported getting v1.0 and having to update it. Which version you get is probably dependent on when that particular Nano rolled off the production line.