Old style ipod as gift

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

davebach172

Hi!

I'm an iPod convert - used minidiscs for years and finally got my first gen 3 ipod after selling my car (not as stupid as it sounds - it was sat unused for a year over 200 miles away!).

So I got the iPod and have now spent nearly a week sorting all my music out and asking lots of newbie questions on these boards, and getting some very helpful replies - I even helped
someone else - which is nice!

My girlfriend was getting annoyed as I dragged her all round the shops and raved over the new iPod, before finally getting one, and devoting loads of time to it. It has also been made clear to her NOT to go anywhere near it!!! - and despite saying it looked awful and she couldnt see the point of it, she now really likes it (and even more so, now that I have (sob) loaded Shakira onto it - grrrrrrrr! ;)

Anyway - its my 1st anniversary with her coming up rapidly. I'm taking her to Paris, but as a surprise, I'd like to get her an iPod too. Obviously, it would look sad if we both had matching iPods, and I like the look of the old ones too, so was thinking of getting one of the old style 10gig windows versions from the apple refurb centre.

After all this rambling, my question is.........

How different is the old iPod to the new one in terms of user interface, and ease of use? - they'll both be used on the same PC - a laptop running XP with a 4pin firewire cable - will the 6-4pin adapter that comes with the new ipod work on the old style ones cable? I use Media Center as I think its superb.

If there's no obvious problems, I think I'll go for it - load it up with her fave songs (and delete shakira off mine! ) and give it to her - I think she'll love it!

Thanks for any help you can give!

m.r.m.

the interface is prettty much the same escept for the customizable menu. it will work with xp and mc9. the cable is fine as well, but i think it won?t charge the ipod, though i?m not sure on this last one. does having the adapter plug charge the new ipod? if it does, i guess it ought to charge the old one as well. so, go ahead and get a 2nd gen ipod.

have fun in the city of love! :)

Ignodium

Well, it might seem kind of odd to get her the old one. What you could do, is get the new one and get the apple customization (19$) which laser engraves a message on the back ('Happy Anniversary' just might do).

edit: also, the old ipods use a different cable to connect to computers, so it could get annoying to switch cables alot.

mongoos150

Ignodium: He said his girlfriend thought his was ugly, so he is going to get her the old style (and save some bucks ;) )

mrm: You are correct, the laptop will not charge the iPod if it is in fact a 4 pin firewire card. He can always charge it through the AC adapter.

Dave: Everything should work fine, but in terms of connecting them up to the same computer I am snot sure if this would work. Can someone with more exertise in ths area help Dave out:)

davebach172

I've just read the review of the PC iPod 10gig and it comes with the same little 6-4pin firewire adapter as my new 15gig does - sweeeeet! No worries then when it comes to connections. If anyone can shed some light on the two ipods on one PC question, that would be great! (I'll search the boards in the meantime)

The engraving idea was nice - but as I haven't got another car to sell ;) , I'm going for the cheaper option!

And yep - saving big bucks (or in this case pounds) - I'm getting one from Apple Refurb at less than half the original price (sure, its refurb and may have scratches, but my girlfriend will soon add to those!). Also, as I'll nab her adapter for work, I save some cash by not having to splash out on an extra one of those.

She didn't like the look of the new one as much as the old one - and I like it too (fond memories of one an ex had - but I haven't told the current one this - I do hope to live to see our anniversary you know!! )

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

martini

You may have to disable auto-synch, and add songs to each iPod manually (especially if you want to avoid having her Shakira music polluting your iPod again! :D), but I'm sure I've read about people using 2 iPods on one computer on these boards. I'd check out the Windows Software - Ephpod area of this board and the same area on the old boards for additional info. If you keep your music organized by ownership... His - Hers - Joint folders, it should be easy to choose the music you want to add to each iPod.

m.r.m.

you can connect two ipods on the same computer. do a search on this forum. i remember someone posting this, after trying it out. just don?t connect them at the same time (in the event of having two or more firewire ports). just be sure to disable all autosync features.

davebach172

Great stuff!

I found another post about 2 pods on one PC, and, as expressed here, it seems perfectly workable!

I've ordered the refurb and it should be here pretty soon - just have to hide it from her until the day arrives!

Thanks again for all the help! - I'm sure she's going to love it!

Impulse29

Looks like all the technical questions have been answered, so i'll just say some tips:
1. If your g/f is already attached to the NEW iPod, then I'd give that one to her. She may not like it if you give her one with less features (on the go playlists, customizable menus, games), and an older design.
2. You could just buy another new iPod, but with a different case, so it looks like they are different.

And Vive la France!;) (I hope spelling is right, sorry:( )

davebach172

Good points Impulse29 - but she's a little clumsy (don't tell her I said that! ), and I'd hate to see a brand new iPod smash to bits on the floor - one that came at half the price would be much more "acceptable". We have no decent insurer's or warrenties over here, so if it does get damaged, chances are you'll (read that as me) will have to buy a brand new unit. Our UK insurers are famous for not paying out!

I'm waiting in anticipation for the cases to come out though!

Luckily, she hardly knows much about pods, so I could tell her that the old style is an alternative design etc - she likes the old style anyway, and I doubt she'd miss the OTG playlists as they're not exactly as I thought they'd be. Playlists arent used at the moment on my system as I cant fit all my music on the PC hard disk - am experimenting with creating them with ephpod though.

My pod is actually going back today - dodgey hold button (amongst the already known bug list! ), so I *could* pick up another - maybe a 30gig and give her the 15gigger! arrrgggghhh!!!!! MUST STOP!!!!!

Jackonicko

Retired
Some might say that she'll be getting the superior model anyway.

Refurbs tend to have a new enclosure anyway, so look 'just like new'.

saxomaphon99

Where did you find refurb iPods?

You said you just bought a refurb iPod from Apple - where did you find these?

davebach172

ahhh yes - the refurb apples - I think I heard about them on these forums.

Anyway, on the apple web site, in the shop section, on the left hand side about half way down, is a link to the apple refurb area. It's only open from 10am on Wednesday mornings, and they have a limited supply, so get there early!

I got a gen 2 10gig PC version for ?178 all in (They sell/sold for ?329 new), and that includes the apple 1 year warrenty, delivery, and ipod in "nearly" new condition, all for much less than I could get one for on ebay - not bad at all! (and if its as bug free as all the other gen 2's, I might just be keeping it for myself! :)

(I think some people must be buying them, then hiking up the price and selling them on ebay for a tidy profit).

The refurb idea is a nice one from apple - and a good way of getting a gadget cheap (they have powerbooks, etc on there too - and I don't doubt it'll be long before gen 3's start appearing).

Update! just got the shipping confirmation for the refurb! - it'll be here tuesday/wednesday - I'd better start ripping all of her naff cd's in readiness!

davebach172

Woohoo!

It's arrived - I can't believe how good a condition it's in - looks like a brand new iPod - everythings sealed, the buds, cables, charger etc are all brand new - even got the whole "dont steal music" wrap around it. The pod is spotless, no scratches, dents, chips or anything - if I'd bought this brand new I'd be happy with the condition it's in - no way of telling its a refurb.

I was a little dubious of buying refurb, despite Apple saying it would all be like new, but I'm now eating my words - this is DEFINETLY a great way to get an apple product cheap (PS - I cant see the refurb section on the US site - maybe its only Europe).

I've almost finished ripping her CD's - although she did bring back some Shania Twain last night, which I'll have to rip ASAP - pity my poor laptop!

After this refurb experience, I'm kinda tempted to splash out on one of the powerbooks they have listed - see how pods really work without the windows limitations!!!

Thanks to everyone here who helped - it was a great pruchase decision - and I have here an old style iSkin for her to use it with (dodgy 5 minutes when she spotted the ebay auction that it was going on - had to pretend I'd made a mistake and it was not going to fit my new style ipod, and be suitably sad - and then had to suffer her witty remarks! )

Thanks again!

lorcani

Hey, nice idea for a gift! Also, I just checked out the refurb store from here in the US.. and i looked at the title:

http://promo.euro.apple.com/promo/refurb/uk/

Its a promotional thing for Europe.. They're probably trying to expand their business in Europe: its the same for all european apple online stores. Too bad for us Americans.

davebach172

arrrrrggghhh!!!

I found a post about the US refurb store:

http://www.ipodlounge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=9533#post9533

and checked it out - they have 10gig gen2's for $199 - but the link doesn't work anymore as the session timed out and I can't find my way in normally :(

That refurb store is open 24-7, and is for the US - If you can find your way in, you're sorted!

Hope that helps!