• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

'Official' iPodlounge Forum Debates

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

MikeM

Administrator
Hello Everyone,

iPodlounge member Joshdude has proposed the idea of 'official' debates, after a recent debate he was involved in went quite well. We have a lot of opinionated folks here with lots of different opinions. I think it could be informative and fun to have members square off against each other in some intelligent debates.

Here's the info on how to start one and how to run it:

Overview

1. Find something and someone to debate about/with. Maybe you see someone's post you disagree with and want to discuss it in a more organized manner, without other people's opinions and off-topic mumblings getting in the way. Maybe you see a debate of sorts happening in a thread and you recommend that they move to an official debate. Maybe you want to debate, start one and solicit PMs from folks wishing to debate.

2. Start a new thread in the appropriate forum. Title it "Debate: Name of Debate". Make the first post describe the debate, who's in it, the structure [more on this below], etc. Put a bold statement saying that this thread is closed to those not debating. [Contact a mod/admin when someone else posts- its going to happen...]

3. Start the debate. Try to keep the posts as concise, informed, well worded, and within forum rules as possible. Let's not resort to insults. This is a debate not a fight. Stay on topic.

4. End the debate. The thread can then be closed or left open for voting [more below].

5. Leave the topic feeling better informed and pleased that you have hopefully helped create a resource for others to learn from. [And also that you have hopefully bested your opponent! :D]

Debate Guidelines

Try to pick and stick with a structure. This helps keep things organized and flowing. Suggested format:

Pick who goes first.
Member A: Opening Argument
Member B: Opening Argument [not a rebuttal]
Member A: Rebuttal 1
Member B: Rebuttal 2
Member A: Conclusion
Member B: Conclusion

But be creative. Maybe a 4 person debate with 2 on each side. Feel free to mix things up, just keep it organized. And keep it controlled. A 15 page debate won't be read by many, if any one.

Stick with the chosen structure. If you didn't say something in your turn or thought of it later, too bad.

Voting
Optionally, the debate can be voted upon to choose a winner. This can happen at the end of the debate thread or in a new poll created just for this. Some comments should be left by the voters about why they voted one way or the other. Remember to vote based on who debated better, not based on which side you feel is right. I suspect people will introduce their own thoughts, which is fine if kept short, but vote based on the quality of the debaters. Its very much possible to vote for one side but agree with the other.

Voting can be left open to the public for a certain amount of time or a specific group of members can be selected to vote. I suggest an odd number for this purpose. :D

Additional Notes
This shouldn't be a way to fight. If any debate gets out of hand, it will be immediately closed and possibly removed.

A debate should be handled fully by members as much as is possible. Closing threads needs to be done by a Mod/Admin but most everything else can be done without us. Please try to PM one who is online if needed. Do no use the report post button for the purpose of debate organization. Only use that device if there is an issue with content someone has posted. These debates will not increase the workload of the Mods. If they do, they will be ended.

Have fun! I'm looking forward to this. I hope it works. It should build a nice resource and keep us all entertained! :D

Last edited:

Impulse29

Although I'm all for new stuff, and experimenting, the topics are going to be quite limited
Discuss anything except, Politics, Religion, or Personal Computing Platforms.
There are only a few subjects that don't fall into those categories but can be tied to them easily... science is one of them, although cloning can be tied to politics, and religion...

I guess, since this is a primarily apple forum (am I right there?) so we could talk about whether the new iMac is better than the old? There, that wasn't so hard...

Good Idea (IMO)

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
Impulse29 said:
[B
I guess, since this is a primarily apple forum (am I right there?)

Good Idea (IMO) [/B]
No, this is primarily an iPod forum. The fact that Apple makes it doesn't make it an Apple dominant forum. In fact, there are far more PC iPod users here than Mac iPod users...

Adam

Brushed Steel Guy
I love the idea. It won't work. But I still love it.

Oh, and have a science vs. religion and I'll gladly write up something huge.

Joshdude

One cool dude, indeed.
Toothpaste, I'll debate you. But you pick a topic.
And yeah, it's worth trying. If it doesn't work out, so what?

Last edited:

Provboy

would you rather

a) drive a car with no front seat

or

b) ride a bike with no frnt seat

MikeM

Administrator
I was imagining debates related to the iPod, since this is iPodlounge. Case A vs Case B, Headphone A vs. Headphone B, 3G vs. 4G [although the original iPods are the best! :D], etc.

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
Joshdude said:
Ok I meant within reasonable limits. I'm sure a debate on the best sexual position, for example, wouldn't be allowed :D
That would be a fun one, but a lot of folks would be left out due to lack of actual knowledge.....;)