Obsession / confession

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

wyneken

I don't know why but I find myself obsessing about this iPad thing more than I have about any new techie gadget since the original Macintosh.

I love my iPod and I liked my Newton a lot, but I didn't feel compelled to jump on either of these products for the first year or so. (This meant with the Newton that I didn't come onboard until the slick v2.0 of the handwriting recognition system was developed. I'd love to see something like that again.)

I iPad, though ... I don't know. For some reason I just can't wait.

JSRinUK

I find it quite amusing that, whenever I express an interest in the iPad on other forums, I'm labelled a "fanboy" because, apparently, only Apple fanboys are allowed to have a use for the iPad. Only if you ignore what it's capable of and dismiss it as rubbish without even looking at it can you be anything other than an "Apple fanboy".

I say it's amusing because I don't own a Mac. I've no desire to own a Mac. The closest I've come to owning a Mac is when my MP3 player turned into an iPod (later an iPod Touch). For my life, my Windows netbook (which replaced a Windows desktop) serves me very well and I have no desire to replace it - certainly not with a non-Windows product.

Yet I am very keen to get hold of the iPad because I can visualise it making a number of things that I currently do much more convenient than they currently are. It doesn't matter to me that it's an Apple product, except insofar as I'm glad it's based on the same OS as my iPod Touch - if it came with a full desktop Mac OS on it, I probably wouldn't bother with it. Yet, apparently, I still have to accept the label of "Apple fanboy" despite being surrounded my Windows products. It's a strange world. :)

astroman33

Hear, hear! I agree with both of you. I'm looking forward to getting one and canceling our local newspaper subscription--and enjoying various activities around the home without having to disconnect the laptop!

The nay-sayers, nit-pickers, mockers, and brash cynics have been venting their spleens :) (often repetitively, sometimes amusingly) but, increasingly, we're seeing thoughtful writers and analysts that understand our reactions and explain well how special the iPad is. That's especially true of those who have had first-hand experience with the device.

These analysts also raise issues and questions about the device, so they're not blind "fanboys". Overall, there's a growing sense that the iPad will change computing and have an enormous impact on multimedia, reading, publishing, entertainment, and productivity.

DrawntotheMagic

I must admit, I love Apple-very much so, but I love Windows just about as much. I use both Mac and Windows for school, and have come to find each system's strengths and weaknesses, giving me, well...the best of both worlds. and the iPad...wow.

It's, to me, realization of a dream. The future is here, it's now. To be able to read Magazines, Newspapers, and Facebook with the touch of a finger-and on that same device, watch your favorite episode of your favorite TV show, play Tetris, and listen to your favorite songs, while doing homework/work on a Pages sheet...I don't know about you, but I'd say that's pretty futuristic. Sure, there's no webcam (yet), and a few other complaints, but when you look at all the Pro's this device has to offer...I'd say it's pretty amazing.

(StarWars moment, I was watching StarWars Ep. 3 the other day, and loved how they use a device like this in that scene at Padme's apartment) it's just cool how similar it looked.

I agree with all the previous posts. It's not only for Apple fanatics to enjoy, but our Windows neighbors (and friends) should be able to use and enjoy all the wonderful things iPad brings to the table.

ipadgypsy

So - what exactly is the definition of an "Apple Fanboy" anyway? I had to register just so I could ask this question. I am so enjoying all the discussion on this forum - and decided to register and post to this thread because you guys seem to have the same thought process about this device that I have.

It is keeping me awake at night too!

In fact, I am beyond excited and I really think that the analysts have no idea how many frustrated techies like me are out there (Apple Fangirl?)- those of us who love the Apple technology - but just can't see these pint sized tiny screens on our phones and pods. I cannot tell you how many times I hit the edge of my i-touch cover with my fingers or how annoying my stupid phone is 'cos I have to hit it with my fingernail just right to get it to read the letter I want to key. And - as for trying to do anything in the car - well I am one of those dangerous people that are always dropping the phone/touch, can't see the phone/touch screen properly 'cos my eyesight is going and we just won't talk about the onset of arthritis in my fingers will we!

But - oh - the wonderful clarity and light on that glass screen! My itouch movies magnified so that I can watch them comfortably where ever I am - as you guys point out - the ability to surf between tasks as the mood strikes - and still watch TV - well it just doesn't bear thinking about for this multi-tasker.

I simply can't decide which is better - to order online or go 40 miles to get my hands on it on the Saturday release date. I'm assuming it gets in my hands first on that day, and that delivery would take longer.

I am old enough to know better, own i-pods, 1 i-touch, 1 kindle - 3 PC's one of which is a MAC, I'm going out tomorrow to buy my husband the MAC 27 inch desktop so that I can get his MAC laptop away from him and keep it for myself, plus at work I use Windows exclusively and love it too for what it does....

But - this iPad........ooooh - it is SOOoooooooo SWEET!
The other stuff I have - sure I wanted it when I bought it - but I got each of these things because they served a purpose and actually did something I needed. Hold music, read a book - etc etc.

I am buying the iPad 'cos I have fallen in mad passionate love with it's size, screen and charisma.

Cheers everyone :)

Last edited by a moderator:

wyneken

So - what exactly is the definition of an "Apple Fanboy" anyway? I had to register just so I could ask this question.
Welcome to the lounge!

I'm not clear on this "fanboy" thing, either. And I am not certain whether the "fangirl" category exists. I can't remember hearing anybody accused of being a fangirl, so you may have to undergo a temporary virtual gender change in order to be properly insulted by knee-jerk Applephobes. This is the price we pay, I guess.

From past experience, I think if you pre-order online, you should get your iPad on release day via FedEx. Apple doesn't guarantee this, and I guess it depends on how delivery service works in your area. But if you live in a city or in Northern Virginia, I'd guess you'll be fine. On the other hand, it's probably pretty exciting to be at the store on release day -- I've never done that.

pdoyle

I was in the local Apple store today and asked one of the employees that very question. That being, if I order online rather than coming into the store, would I still receive my iPad on April 3rd. He was not sure and went to go check. When he came back a few minutes later he said that if you order it for pickup you will get it on the 3rd. If you order it for delivery it will ship on the 3rd. At least that is what he was told - your mileage however may vary.

That being said - I know where I will be on the morning of April 3rd! :)