O2 tethering

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

xboxman

Expelliarmus!
So I'm guessing that some people over here in the UK will have probably got hold of an American unit somehow, and here I am assuming some would have paid for tethering on their iPhone though O2 (or another provider).

If any of those people happen to browse this forum...why exactly won't the iPad tether? Is it a software block? We know Steve infamously replied a simple "no" to tethering, but is that because AT&T and the like don't offer proper tethering?

It sounds lame, but my whole iPad purchase how depends on whether or not it can connect to the internet via my iPhone...

kornchild2002

Tethering is currently limited by the hardware and software of both the iPad and iPhone releases. There isn't a male-to-male dock connector so you won't be able to physically connect an iPad to an iPhone (and the iPad's USB camera connector accessory doesn't work) and, even if there was, the iPhone OS (which is also what is running on the iPad) doesn't support that type of functionality. Bluetooth tethers isn't supported as the bluetooth profiles of both the iPhone (including iPhone, iPhone 3G, and iPhone 3GS) and iPad don't support that feature. Lastly, wi-fi hotspot creation is something not officially supported by any iPhone.

There is one non-official way to turn your iPhone into a wi-fi hotspot for the iPad. You have to jailbreak the iPhone and pay $10 to download and install a non-official app. It allows you to actually tether your iPhone to notebook computers (I believe this can be done through bluetooth and through a physical connection) and it will turn your iPhone into a wi-fi hotspot so you can use an iPad with it.

As for the actual reasons why there are these hardware and software limitations, that is something that no one will be able to answer. It likely has to do with restrictions set in place by the cellphone carriers and Apple. Apple thinks that you should buy a new device every year if you want the new features and the cellphone providers want you to purchase multiple devices for different uses. In other words; Apple and the cellphone providers want you to purchase a 3G iPad if you want 3G capabilities and the providers will be happy if you purchase a new wi-fi hotspot device along with a new data plan if you want to go with just a wi-fi iPad.

ipadfanatic

Website
ipadsyndicate.com
So I'm guessing that some people over here in the UK will have probably got hold of an American unit somehow, and here I am assuming some would have paid for tethering on their iPhone though O2 (or another provider).

If any of those people happen to browse this forum...why exactly won't the iPad tether? Is it a software block? We know Steve infamously replied a simple "no" to tethering, but is that because AT&T and the like don't offer proper tethering?

It sounds lame, but my whole iPad purchase how depends on whether or not it can connect to the internet via my iPhone...
I'm not sure what you're getting at but the iPad has no problem tethering via wifi or bluetooth as long as you have a phone that supports it. Currently I tether with my android phone.

Scroll to the bottom of this article for some good options on tethering:
http://www.ipadsyndicate.com/ipad-tips-tricks/ipad-wifi-tether-apps/

xboxman

Expelliarmus!
Ah OK, thanks for the replies I get it now.

So basically even if I were to enable tethering on my iPhone by paying my network for the privilage, the iPad won't connect via Bluetooth...and the iPhone only allows computers to tether via Bluetooth or USB.

Last edited:

ipadfanatic

Website
ipadsyndicate.com
Ah OK, thanks for the replies I get it now.

So basically even if I were to enable tethering on my iPhone by paying my network for the privilage, the iPad won't connect via Bluetooth...and the iPhone only allows computers to tether via Bluetooth or USB.
Is your IPhone Jailbroken. If so then you have a chance of tethering with MyWi

kornchild2002

Pretty much. at&t has pushed back tethering on the iPhone so many times that I don't even know if it is avaible here in the U.S. or even unlocked on the iPhone. However, that tethering was only capable through bluetooth and maybe a direct connection. The iPad's bluetooth profile does not support internet access (mainly only audio output and device control) and a physical connection between an iPad and iPhone is impossible. So, even if your O2 iPhone had tethering, it wouldn't work with an iPad. Essentially your cellphone carrier and Apple want you to buy a 3G + wi-fi iPad if you want that type of functionality.

nMotion96

I have a wifi only ipad that I'm currently tethering to my iphone. You need a jail broken iphone and install an app called MyWi. The app cost $9.99 and allows your iphone to become a wifi hot spot for up to 5 or 8 devices I forgot. You can then connect your ipad to your iphone and it will see it as a wifi connection.

xboxman

Expelliarmus!
My iPhone isn't jailbroken at the moment, but I've done it before so if I need to do it, then it shouldn't be a problem.

$10/6 instead of a £100 premium does seem appealing.