Not-Very-Hot Chili Peppers

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

bigjohnny7

RHCP are so overrated. I'm almost afraid to criticise them because everybody loves them so much. It seems these days that they can't do anything wrong.

When I first got into music (somewhere in between Mother's Milk and Blood Sugar Sex Magik), they were cutting edge (both visually and on record).

What has happened? They're so middle-of-the-road these days. They used to play "alternative" music but this has rapidly progressed into easy listening for morons who think they're subscribing to the counter-culture by listening to them.

Every contemporary song I hear by them sounds the same. I'm sorry but if you go from being an alternative / punk / funk / rock band to releasing the kind of stuff that middle-aged housewives listen to whilst doing the ironing, you've lost something along the way.

10 points goes to the first person to criticise me for daring to bad mouth the "almighty" Chili Peppers.

Foo Fighter

Website
www.p-russell.co.uk
I think I know that you mean, I loved BSSM, Californication and By The Way, but im really not sure about Stadium Arcadium. I like Dani California but, Snow and Tell me baby just arent the chilis.
I think they are just trying to fit in with the current music scene and like you said, making songs that everyone would want to hear.
Nevertheless I am still a huge fan of them.

Foo

Signal to Noise

Amen, brother!

Fwiw, Californication is the last decent RHCP album. By The Way and the inaptly named Stadium Arcadium (should have been the title for a live album) are basically the b-sides to Californication, imo.

papayaninja

Better Than Cats
Website
www.google.com
I liked By The Way, maybe because it was my first Chili Peppers CD, but I'd definitely agree that Stadium Arcadium is pretty bad, and that their older music is better.

bigjohnny7

Well that's a slightly warmer response than what I was expecting. Cheers guys.

I thought I was going to be burned at the stake for even thinking that they might have lost their magic (or should that be magik?).

For me, there was a few moments of genius on One Hot Minute and Californication but still it's been a long slide down since the days of Blood Sugar...

Signal to Noise

RatherPlayHalo said:
Come on now. Stadium wasn't THAT bad.
For me it was. I bought the CD on release day. The amount of times I've listened to both discs in their entirety since that day? Three. I find SA almost tedious to listen thru because of it's repetitive style.

bdb

On the B side of life
It seems the big-label-endorsing media likes them more than the average listener, and certainly more than the indie-snob media. That's what gets them Grammys.

Its not so unusual for a band to hit its prime, and for the labels to try to squeeze a bit more out of a dying act (and with big labels, further enhance the appeal with marketing and payola). Could this be the case with RHCP? I don't listen to them anymore so its pure supposition on my part.

neb

The new album is perfect music to fall asleep to, except that was not its intention. Snoozy music from a snoozy band with the worst album cover in the history of history.

Jackonicko

Retired
OK, I'll take the ten points.

You're right, Stadium Arcadium is overrated and tedious - but what were you expecting from a band whose output has largely been pretty mediocre from the start (granted with a couple of outstanding tracks), however well camouflaged the lack of good songs has been by a funky bassline and some competent guitar noodling - ooh yes and by an amusing EP cover with socks.

But honestly?

They are a poor excuse for a band now, and they were then, and I criticise you for taking so long to realise it, and for swallowing the hype when they were trendy.

miTunes75

there are about three songs on those two discs that have caught my attention. i'll probably end up DL from iTunes and call it a day.

bigjohnny7

Okay Jackonicko, you can have the ten points.

They are a poor excuse for a band now but they didn't used to be.

FYI the last Chili's album I bought was One Hot Minute and then I stopped listening to them. I wouldn't say I swallowed "the hype when they were trendy".

They were pretty hip when I first started listening to music, (but hey, you don't think about stuff like that when you first emerge into the world, do you?). As soon as they released Californication, where it seemed more time and effort was put into the marketing of the album rather than the recording of it, I zoned out.

So I've kept myself at a distance from them for a good few years now. I definitely wouldn't say it took me "so long to realise it". I was reading a few forums the other day and it annoyed me how everybody still holds them in such high regard (or so I thought), so I thought I'd see what other people thought.

PS. The comments by bdb are probably the most spot-on on this thread.

Kristiano

He hates Scousers
I only liked Californication and By The Way. Never understood the hype otherwise.

urbanlegend

Toronto Tonto
I wholeheartedly agree. Their last good album was Blood Sugar Sex Magic. Once you come up with a lyric like "Music is my Aeroplane" they should take away your recording contract and microphone.

Or maybe they should get back on the skag.

John

Eddie '92

RatherPlayHalo said:
Californication was their peak for me. It doesn't get much better than "Otherside."

Come on now. Stadium wasn't THAT bad.
Too right it wasn't that bad. The thing about SA is that its a mixed bag. I think SA has its fair share of classics (Snow, Desecration Smile, Stadium Arcadium, Wet Sand, She's Only 18.) By The Way is my favorite album of all time and Californication is one classsic album that everyone agrees on. BSSM had Under the Bridge, Breaking the Girl, Suck My Kiss and Give It Away so you can't knock that. The albums before BSSM tend to be a bit bland however there is the occasional stand out track (Higher Ground, True Men.)

Oh and I forgot to mention One Hot Minute, I suppose not many people agree with that album and neither do I. I like Tearjerker and My Friends though.

Last edited: