Not auto moving/renaming files - Maybe resolved?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Kosh

Vorlon Ambassador
(warning, semi-long, semi-techie, but might be useful if others are having similar issues ;) )

1. Opening & problem description
Recently, I had an issue with iTunes. I had "Keep Music Folder Organized" checked, in the preferences. But, when I would edit the ID3 tags for various tracks, iTunes would NOT automatically move, rename, etc., the files themselves.

For example, if I renamed "Army of Mee" by Bjjork to "Army of Me" by Bjork, iTunes would update the ID3 tags in the file itself, but would not rename the appropriate directory from Bjjork to Bjork, and would not update the filename, and so on.

2. Informational background
I have my music library on a server in my house, built specifically to hold the MP3 collection in it. I have a shared folder on that server, holding all of the MP3 collection. I have mapped a drive on my main computer, with iTunes, to that folder share, and set my Music Folder in iTunes to be that drive. So, the Music folder, in iTunes was set to "Z:\"

I then imported my music into iTunes, having it copy the files to the Music Folder as it added them to the library, and it created all the artist subfolders like it should, based upon the ID3 tags of the files at the time of import. Then I worked on cleaning some of them up, and that's when I noticed that it wasn't moving or renaming files/directories as I updated the ID3 tags.

3. An idea forms
After reading another thread, about a slightly different issue, I had an idea. What if the cause of the problem was that iTunes had an issue with having to deal with a Music Folder on the root of a drive, instead of a sub-directory

4. Preparing for the test
I opened iTunes, deleted all entries in the library, turned off the "Copy files to Music Folder" option, and then closed iTunes. I logged into the server and, in the shared folder, created a sub folder called 'iTunes." I then moved all the directories that were in the root of the share into that new directory. So now, on my main PC, the directory would look like "Z:\iTunes" as the location for the files.

I then re-opened iTunes (with its newly-empty library), and then set the Music Folder to the new location. I then added the folder to the library. After grinding away and processing the files for a goodly time, the newly-filled library was ready for testing.

5. Testing and Success!
I tried editing the ID3 tags of several tracks, with a second Explorer window open to Z:\iTunes, watching the contents as iTunes processed my changes. Voila! The directories were changing, and re-organizing as I was changing the ID3 tags on the tracks.

6. Current Hypothesis and Future Testing
I think that iTunes has a problem dealing with a Music Folder that is also the root of a drive. From the looks of that other thread, it doesn't matter if the drive is local on the IDE controller or is a network-mapped share, iTunes seems unable to manipulate folders to reflect the updates you make in ID3 tags. Once the Music Folder is in a sub-directory, then iTunes is able to make the necessary changes to the directory structures.

I don't know why this is how it is. I'll be doing a bit more testing over this weekend coming up, to see if it is reproducible and predictible. If so, I'll be logging a bug-report with Apple. :)

Further information as I get it. *thumbs up*

(and if you've read this far, thanks! :) )

Last edited:

Kosh

Vorlon Ambassador
Reproducable. I was able to repeat the same issue on a second PC, running Windows XP. I set the Music Folder to be the root of the F:\ drive, and iTunes was unable to rename files or directories when i edited the ID3 tag information.

Once I created a sub-directory called iTunes, moved the files into there, and set the Music Folder to be that directory, iTunes was able to edit filenames and the directory structures.

Bug reported via the feedback link in iTunes. Hope they do something about it.