"Not added" in iTunes

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Mariusz

Hi,
I've pasted an AAC file into "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder but it landed in a "Not added" folder.
Is there any way to find out why?

cjmnews

Staff member
Typically this happens for a couple reasons:
  • iTunes Match is in use and the file is already in the cloud
  • iCloud Music Library is in use and the file is already uploaded
There could also be other reasons like the file was purchased by a different Apple ID, especially if it is an older "Protected AAC" file. You can manually add the song, play it and enter the password for that Apple ID to allow it to play.

Other possibilities are it is a file that is not supported, like a text file or a corrupt AAC file. Not much can be done with this, other than replacing a corrupt AAC file with a good one.

Mariusz

OK, then. Would it be possible for you to inspect if I sent you the file that iTunes rejects?

cjmnews

Staff member
I could do some analysis. Though it may not reveal much.

Mariusz

I've just found some info that only files from iTunes Store (or imported into iTunes library using the AAC encoder) will be played in iTunes.
So the only option is using third party software to convert AAC files to any other format playable by iTunes.
Anyway, thank you.

cjmnews

Staff member
That information is false.

iTunes can play audio formats MP3, AAC, AIFF, WAV, and Audible aa, all can be created with 3rd party software. There is also iTunes audio formats like m4a (AAC), m4b (AAC), m4r (AAC), m4p (encrypted AAC) and Apple Lossless.

If the MP3 is encrypted for another player, iTunes cannot play it. Just like the reverse, iTunes encrypted AAC files cannot be played by other AAC players.

Last edited:

Mariusz

I actually meant:
"I've just found some info that only AAC files from iTunes Store (or imported into iTunes library using the AAC encoder)..."
The AAC file (a radio podcast) I have been trying to import into iTunes is played by all other players but not iTunes.
Some advised to change the extension from .aac to .m4a but that didn't work, either.
So I could only resort to using 3rd party software to convert to MP3. And the converted files are accepted by iTunes.

cjmnews

Staff member
The Podcast must be using MPEG2 version of AAC, which is old (1997-1998), but still usable, just not with iTunes. The more modern version to use is the MPEG4 (2002) version.

Mariusz

How can I find that out? In the file's Properties there is no info on that...

cjmnews

Staff member
There are tools that can probably show you.

I used ffmpeg -report -i <audio file> and it shows me my AAC file is "mp4a" in the Stream section of the report. I would guess that means it is MP4 or MPEG4 standard.

Mariusz

Sorry, I am not so technically savvy..., and don't know what "ffmpeg -report -i <audio file>" means?
Are they codecs...?
How do I get/download these tools?

cjmnews

Staff member
ffmpeg is a tool you can download. I have mine installed with audacity a tool I use to edit MP3 files.

I opened a command prompt and navigated to the folder with ffmpeg in it and typed the command I stated above. Replacing the <audio file> with “E:\music\...path to file...\track.aac”