Normalizing volume through EPHPOD!! help!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

geelongfan

Hi, i have searched the forum but it seems no one has answered this question.
I want to normalize a relatively small collection of mp3's (400 or so) on my 15gb ipod that i have just had for a week or two.

Question is, i want to use EphPods mp3gain on my mp3's to normalize the volume of my songs but i have two questions..

1) What is the default setting MP3GAIN uses on ephpod? is it 89dB?? and is this loud enough?

2) If my ipod is powered through the dock can i use MP3Gain that comes with EphPOD to normalize all of my files (on the ipod) and just do it that way?

3) Will this do any damage by doing number 2?? Eg. The HD may spin too much or something :p

Thanks,

i have one final question..

4) I have forgotten the name of the program but one of the forum users here created it and it can gain like 20% - 40% volume on all of the songs.. (it doesnt adjust the songs, it just adjusts the ipod settings),
Do you reccomend this?

Thanks, keep in mind i am using WINXP...

EDIT: i just realised i posted in wrong forum, admins please move it..
Very sorry :(

Last edited:

geelongfan

thanks for that..

could someone manage to answer all my questions induvidually??

thanks!

dcx693

I'll try:
1 - don't know, but I'd guess it's 89. Is it loud enough? Yeah, but the higher you need to turn up the volume level on your iPod, the more the battery drains. I generally try to tune my mp3s to just where they won't clip, around 92-96db.

2- Yes, you can. I've done it for one track, but didn't like not being able to fine-tune the options. If you use your iPod in firewire disk mode, you can instead run the mp3gain program and tune the files right on your iPod.

3 - Theoretically no, but spinning the HD continuously does cause some wear and tear. I prefer to gain the tracks on my computer hd, then upload them.

4 - Hmm...not sure about this one, but it sounds like iTunes. :)

EsspeN

Lamer
Website
www.espen.se
This is what i do.

Using ephpod to transfer songs
Use mp3 gain always on new tracks in ephpod and normalize
to default settings (89 db)

Since this is a little low, but provides best sound quality, i use the euPOD VolumeBoost (link in post over) and boost all tracks to
+40.. (i have a european limited ipod)

This works very very very well for me :)

godcha

Scaper
Exactly the way I do it, EsspeN.
Your volumeboost is awesome, if I might say so :D

I rip cds via EAC+LAME VBR av.?192 kbit, then put the mp3s via MP3Gain all on 89 dB, upload them to the iPod and run your volumebooster at 40% and voila.

EsspeN

Lamer
Website
www.espen.se
godcha said:

I rip cds via EAC+LAME VBR av.?192 kbit, then put the mp3s via MP3Gain all on 89 dB, upload them to the iPod and run your volumebooster at 40% and voila.
This might be a little off topic, but I need to rip some cds now, and ive heard about LAME, but what is EAC ?

Is that short for something else?
Is it freeware?

Thanks

godcha

Scaper
Hey EsspeN, check out this tut:

Guide for Encoding CDs into *Supa-High Quality* MP3s
credit for posting this link [in another thread] goes to jogloran
It's a comprehensive tut on EAC+LAME for quality cd rips.
I followed the guidelines from that tutorial...and therefore switched from CDex to EAC front/end with the LAME alt preset standard.

Briefly: EAC stands for Exact Audio Copy.
As I mentioned before, this program is and will be Cardware. This means, using the program will cost you no money, but a nice picture postcard from your hometown or a beautiful countryside nearby (perhaps it will also be possible to use a nice stamp for sending the postcard).

godcha

Scaper
EsspeN said:
godcha;

This was excactly what I needed!

Thanks a lot!
Be aware, advised is to use LAME version 3.90.3 [3.90.x] which isn't the latest version, afaik. I am using v3.90.3 since that is advised with usage of the alt presets. Just tought to let you know. I've read the whole thread I linked to...was quite a read!

The 3.90.x branch of LAME has been the most extensively tested regarding the --alt-presets. All after 3.90 have made changes to the --alt-preset code without significant blind testing to assure that quality has been maintained or increased.
The board to which the tut links to, for the LAME file was also useful to me: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org

Have fun :D