No video option on Latest Ipod Classic

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

pursuant

I have the last model of the Ipod Classic. I was interested in seeing if I could play video from it on a TV. I looked up the procedure and it told me to set the video setting to TV or at least not to show up on the Ipod screen. There is no video settings on my ipod . It does play video. I have gone over settings a number of times thinking there was something I missed but I still can't find it.
Is this a lost cause?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

kornchild2002

You need to have the appropriate cables, they will either use standard RCA (yellow) for video with audio (red and white) or component for video (green, red, and blue) with audio (red and white). These cables need to be authorized and hook into the iPod's 30-pin adapter on the bottom.

pursuant

cables

Thanks
I have the Apple cables I bought for my Ipad, its an adapter for a HDMI cable that comes from the set. It worked fine with the ipad and plugs right into my Ipod. When I did that I couldn't find the video setting in the Ipod to change to external screen.

cjmnews

Staff member
Per the information on Apple's site: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202044
The Classic is not supported for video out.

Though an older page shows support: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT1454

From the manual: https://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iPod_classic_160GB_User_Guide.pdf
Set iPod classic to display videos on a TV:

Choose Videos > Settings, and then set TV Out to Ask or On.
If you set TV Out to Ask, iPod classic gives you the option of displaying videos on TV or on iPod classic every time you play a video. If you set TV Out to On, iPod classic displays videos only on TV. If you try to play a video when iPod classic isn’t connected to a TV, iPod classic displays a message instructing you to connect to one.

pursuant

thanks

Well that explains it. No video out supported on the Ipod, thanks again for the information.

kornchild2002

I thought the latest iPod classic still supported video output through the 30-pin connector, it just requires the use of an Apple composite or component cable. The HDMI adapter definitely won't work but the older composite or component adapters should.

Last edited by a moderator:

cjmnews

Staff member
Same here. Then I find that Apple has conflicting information on this as well.

My guess is an update to the firmware blocked it, or the cables changed and the newer 30 pin cables don't work with the iPod Classic.

The lack of a TV Out option on his iPod indicates a firmware change to me.

pursuant

firmware change

So was this a recent update to the firmware. I've had my Classic for about 2 years.

kornchild2002

The lack of a TV Out option on his iPod indicates a firmware change to me.
Interesting. I wonder if they changed the firmware and completely removed it or if they modified the firmware so that the TV Out option is displayed only when the appropriate cable is plugged in.

So was this a recent update to the firmware. I've had my Classic for about 2 years.
I doubt it. Apple discontinued the iPod classic a year ago and the last time they did anything major with it was back in 2009 when they dropped the 120GB model in favor of a 160GB version. They updated the firmware once to add Genius Mixes, that was it.

pursuant

video out

I am curious now, does anyone know when the video out option was last used in the classic? I do have the last of 160 gig models, and as far as i know its never had it.

DR650SE

I believe it's supported in the 5th Gen classic "iPod Video" I have one, just never used that function. I watch video on my computer or hook the computer to the TV. For me it just doesn't make sense. And that may be why apple dropped support for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk