No search function for the old 5G 30GB?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Ai.Chj13

I have a 30 GB ipod video and there's no search function other than that big letter on the screen when u scroll...
, my friend bought a new 2GB ipod nano today and there IS search function!

it doesn't fair apple!? :shake:

Nader172

t3h ul71m473 h4xX0r!!1!
Hey chill, it’s alright that you don’t have a search feature. I have the same misfortune as you do. :D

Don’t worry, If Apple wanted to, they could add the search feature in an upcoming firmware. I doubt it though. It’s just how life works...

whslax1990

copenhagen
there is a big letter. Scroll faster. Search is retarted anyways.

it dosent fair apple? nice grammer

musichound

Doesn't the latest version of iTunes add the search function? I could be wrong but I could have sworn I read that some place.

My son has 1 GB Nano and i will check this tonight when I get home.

Website
www.ilounge.com
No, the iPod-based search function (see "Search" under http://www.apple.com/ipod/features.html) is only available on "Late-2006" model iPods, which would be the "enhanced 5G" iPod and the 2G Nano.

Even though the older 5G iPods are technically using the same firmware as the new "Enhanced" models, they do not include this feature for some reason. I have been unable to come up with a completely definitive technical reason for this, although there could still be some reason that the older models don't support it. It's also entirely possible that this is a marketing decision on Apple's part (albeit a rather bizarre one, if that's the case, as the v1.2 firmware added all other software-based features of the enhanced models).

musichound

Being they added gapless playback and a brightness control I think the search function should have been relatively easy to implement. It's more or less using an algorithm to check against the music library. The only reason I can think of why it's left out is because there is not enough RAM to add it. The 5.5G has 50 percent more RAM as opposed to the 5G flavors.

Website
www.ilounge.com
Actually, I'm not sure where the idea of it having more RAM is coming from, as every report I've heard, as well as my own experience, indicates that the enhanced 30Gb still has 32Mb and the 80Gb still has 64Mb (as the 60Gb did).

I have seen a few speculations in various blog comments that the improved battery life might come from additional RAM, but I haven't yet seen any definitive information to back that up. The SDRAM tests in diagnostics mode no longer provide a definitive answer as they once did, but my drive seems to spin up as often as it did on my 60Gb unit, which would seem to indicate that the amount of SDRAM is the same on both models.

In fact, the various hardware teardowns that a few different sites have done (Appleinsider and Arstechnica to name two) don't make any mention of additional buffer memory.

Kutanks

The Only reason ican think of is that 1.2 for the new ipods is really software 1.0, but apple didn't want people to think that they were making a new generation ipod. It is techicallly the 6th gen ipod. Just like how there are not many differences between the 1G and 2G ipods.

Website
www.ilounge.com
No, I've checked it and the firmware that is downloaded into iTunes is the same package.

There are some differences in how it's applied to the iPod (when you view the firmware partition), but that may be due to some layout changes in the way the hard drive is structured.

The firmware definitely does have the search function in it on the older 5G models (as can be seen from viewing the text strings in the firmware partition), but for some reason it's disabled or otherwise preventing from appearing.

The only technical reason I can really think of, and this is not definitive, is that the PortalPlayer chip is a slightly newer revision that is optimized to allow for more efficient searching.

This of course still assumes that it's not a marketing decision on Apple's part. While it would be a silly thing to hold back, marketing departments don't often live in the real world.... :)

musichound

Actually, I'm not sure where the idea of it having more RAM is coming from, as every report I've heard, as well as my own experience, indicates that the enhanced 30Gb still has 32Mb and the 80Gb still has 64Mb (as the 60Gb did).
Sorry, apologies are in order - My bad.

mnussbau

So who's come up with a hack for this? I feel gipped about not getting search. ;)

archurban

ipod adviser
Website
web.mac.com
freaking search thing is matter? get over it. nowadays, I consider to get new ipod because space is full. it's 60GB. I should wait for next two month until Apple will release 6th video ipod.

ahMEmon

After selling my older 30 gig iPod Video and getting the 5.5 NEWER 80 gig iPod Video, I can easily say that the newer model seems a LOT faster than the older. Burrowing through menus, starting games even restaring my iPod seems at least twice as fast as the older model, so maybe the improved speed has something to do with the inclusion of the search feature?

This is just a stab in the wind. I have no REAL idea why the older models couldn't include the search function.

Website
www.ilounge.com
Some have suggested it's marketing, but I do tend to suspect it's a bit more complicated than that. While the baseline chip set is the same between all 5G models (original and enhanced), I suspect that there may be a newer version of the chip in use in the enhanced 5.5G models. Certainly, the disk format is laid out differently.

The speed improvements between the 30Gb and 80Gb, however, may be based solely on the larger buffer in the 80Gb (it was twice the SDRAM), as well as the optimization of reloading your content from scratch (just like on a computer, hard disk fragmentation will slow the iPod down).

Regardless, even if a hack to enable the search feature on the original 5G models were possible, somebody has to be particularly motivated to bother exploring it. I don't think the search feature is worthwhile enough to go to that effort, personally, and I don't think those who do not have it are actually missing much (other than some vague feeling of being "gipped" because they're missing something).

plagued

uncanny
i personally never use the search function. it's true that those without the feature aren't missing much.

cxc273

Nittany Lion lounger
It's not a huge deal, though it'd be nice to have. There have been occasions where I don't remember the artist or song name and the search might have expedited things. At least they added the big letter-fast scroll, which has been fantastic for those who have really large collections.

niti

I know its not a huge deal that the "Search" function isn't available on the 5th Gen iPod's but when you're looking for one song out of a few thousand, I think it'd be helpful.

f_r_a_n_c_i_s

i agree.. would it be possible that apple would include this "search" on future firmware??