No Multi-tasking Question

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

djones18

I'm a bit confused about the reviews which describe the iPad will not do multi-tasking. I understand the basic concepts but I wonder, for example, if I can listen to music stored on this device while reading an ebook, browsing the web, or reading email. Can someone answer this for me? Thanks.

anypats

You will be able to listen to music while doing other things. There are also a couple other apps (MLB At Bat 2010) that will also allow some multitasking. For most other apps, it will close the app you're using. There is talk that within the next couple updates that multitasking will be available on a wider scale.

djones18

Excellent. Thanks for your response. That's what I was hoping. I'm glad Apple will continue to add features to this model over time. I'll be purchasing the 3G model in a few weeks.

kornchild2002

The iPad has basic multi-tasking with music playback but what people really want to do is shuffle through 3-4 apps at a time all with them running in the background. This isn't something that appeals to me even on my 8-core desktop. The most I will do is have iTunes, FireFox, and Word open at once when writing a paper.

As previously stated, the big rumor is that iPhone OS 4.0 (which will be a free upgrade to current iPad owners) will support true multi-tasking. Given the hardware in the iPad, iPhone 3Gs, and iPod touch, this multi-tasking will likely be limited in some way. Windows Mobile 7 has multi-tasking but it isn't "real." A program will run, you can start up another one, and the previously open app will be in a pause mode. Most mobile developers (whether it be for iPhone OS, WebOS, Android, or Windows Mobile) believe that we are still a ways away from true multi-tasking on these portable devices.