• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

No more spaghetti...gawd!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

scabmettler

Great Grand Poobah
This has probably been mentioned thousands of times, but I didn't see it in the first couple of pages so...

Shortern the d*mn headphone wires already! Nobody could possibly have a torso long enough to require the majority of the length they put on that sucker...even without the remote's additional two miles of wiring. Why Apple hasn't taken a cue from my old beloved MiniDisc format, I'll never understand. MD "short-style" phones are just right for portable players that will be in your pocket most of the time. In fact, I'm ordering headphones from Minidisco.com for this reason. In the meantime, I'll be wrapping that extra wiring several times around my waist to take up some slack...lol.

-Scabbie

ephraim

Hmm. Is that a 3rd-gen set of earbuds? Because I find my 2nd-gen set to be too short, actually; if I've got the iPod in my pants pocket, it puts strain on my ears whenever I turn my head too much.

scabmettler

Great Grand Poobah
On my 2nd-gen, the headphone/remote combo was wayyyyy too long. I don't remember the length with just the phones. On my current 3rd-gen, same problem with phones+remote. Are you using the headphones alone?

ephraim

I don't ever use the remote, so yeah, I'm just talking about the headphones on their own. Much too short for me.

ephraim

I've gotta say, though, that it really should be obvious that having wires that are too long is infinitely better than having wires that are too short. Anyone who has what they consider to be excess length can simply coil & twist-tie the extra bit; those of us who don't have enough length to begin with are basically screwed.

scabmettler

Great Grand Poobah
Actually, I disagree that "excess" cordage is a necessity. With most MD-style short cords, you also get an extension cord that you can plug in if you need more length. Coiling and twist-tying may eventually shorten the life of the headphones as you are kinking the cord somewhat. That, and it just looks ug-lay! If you're spending $$$$ on an iPod that's supposed to be elegant and sleek, poorly thought-out cord design is a ridiculous annoyance...especially when there's already an existing solution.

schuss

Website
www.schuss.net
with the remote clipped on my belt or pocket, there's definitely extra cord to reach the ipod in said pocket - but when pulling it out to pick a playlist or something, i need the length so i don't unclip the remote. so the remote cord is OK.

i run the headphone wires down my back and around the side to the remote, under my shirt. i'm not freakishly tall or anything, and i could still use about another 6" on the headphone cord. also, a little clip right at the Y on the headphones would be great, so they wouldn't slide down when i'm sitting. but i think they should definitely not be shorter!

too many connections will create signal loss, potential for breakage, and the cords pulling apart while they're inside my clothes! i don't know if i'd want another extension piece.... :cool:

scabmettler

Great Grand Poobah
Hmm...how about a small, slim "cord reel" then? You could integrate that right into the remote.

scabmettler

Great Grand Poobah
Or you could leave the cords like they are, and make a shoe-pouch for your iPod...though I'm sure that would still leave some slack. ;)

same

As I said on another post, they've made the cords long enough for Yao to wear with his iPod taped to his Nikes.
(Yao is the seven-foot-plus basketball plaver in the Apple powerbook commercial with Mini-Me.)

scabmettler

Great Grand Poobah
Oh my g*d, you're so right. How insensitive and heightist of me...I am shamed.