Nine Inch Nails' new album

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

kornchild2002

Today is Cinco de Mayo and Trent Reznor decided to release the new Nine Inch Nails album today. It is 100% free and 100% legal. Just go to this website and sign up. You can download the album in four different formats: -V 0 --vbr-new Lame 3.97, FLAC at -5 (16bit/44.1KHz), Apple lossless (16bit/44.1KHz), and WAV (24bit/96KHz). Don't bother with the 24/96 WAV version though. People over at Hydrogenaudio have analyzed it and don't think it is worth the extra bandwidth. It seems that there is some sound beyond 22.05KHz in the 24/96 release but it is mainly noise from encoding/shaping. You also must use a torrent client if you want the FLAC, Apple lossless, and WAV versions. The Lame mp3 version can be downloaded directly from the link I posted.

hyroboarder

Thanks a lot, haven't gotten a new nin album since with teeth. I love how obsessed Trent is with macs and releases an apple lossless version. :D

Code Monkey

Downloading it now in FLAC (thanks for the heads up). I've never been that big of NIN fanatic, but I positively love Reznor giving the big middle finger to the labels and using bittorrent to distribute his music just like it would have been anyhow.

He's one of the few that gets it: your fans will still buy albums and come to your shows, everyone else gets a listen and might become fans.

kornchild2002

crumpler said:
Didn't like Ghosts?
I liked Ghosts, it was different. The thing that I didn't like were the three instrumental tracks on The Slip. They sounded as if Trent wasn't done getting that Ghosts sound out of his system. I can understand a Nine Inch Nails album having one instrumental track but not three especially since he did two hours worth of instrumental work just months ago. That and the overall fan reaction to Ghosts was mixed in that people either loved it or they hated it.

RatherPlayHalo

Website
www.fansforscript.com
I love the instrumental tracks. Going from "Lights in the Sky" to "Corona Radiata" to "The Four of Us Are Dying" is awesome. I couldn't imagine The Fragile without "The Mark Has Been Made," "Ripe (With Decay)," and all the other instrumentals. They're perfect compliments to the rest of the album.

And for the record, Ghosts I-IV is a masterpiece. ;)

kornchild2002

It's not that I don't like the instrumental tracks it is just that I would have much rather had three actual, full band tracks with vocals given that Trent put out two albums worth of instrumental only material. I liked Ghosts and all but I wanted some full fledged songs on The Slip. He gave us that mostly except for the three instrumental ones. If he never came out with Ghosts then I could understand, I just wanted Trent to get that whole instrumental kick out of his system.

I don't know if I stressed this enough or not but don't download the 24/96 WAV files. Some more analysis from Hydrogenaudio members shows that they contain clipping that isn't in the 16/44.1 FLAC/ALAC/mp3 releases. It also shows that most of the tracks are 16bits padded to 24bits. So not only do the 24/96 releases contain more artifacts but they aren't true 24bit. They are looking into notifying Trent about the problem.