New unwanted version of iTunes

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

lezfingal

Can you help please! I downloaded iTunes "tune up" software to remove glitches and slow operation on the iTunes version I have been using since February 2020.
The software at first seemed to work as it made iTunes much quicker to use. However, it has replaced the iTunes version on my PC with a new version that is missing thousands of my songs. I am concerned that if I sync with the new library I will lose all the songs on my elderly iPod Classic plus the ones I have already lost from my pc. Would you sync? How can I retrieve the older version of iTunes which has thousands of my favourite songs. Many Thanks Lez

cjmnews

Staff member
The “tune up” app is likely causing lots of problems. Never believe these apps as helpers, they usually are spyware or virus laden. You may not even be running iTunes for real, the Tune Up App may be screwing up everything. Or you have a bad drive where the songs are stored and they need to be recovered from a backup after fixing the drive issue.

No, I would not sync. I would remove the Tune Up App, scan the system for virus infection and clean those as well.

Then I would check to see if iTunes was installed on the system. If it isn’t, then install the version I want, hopefully matching my library version. There are websites like oldversion.com that may have a 2020 version of iTunes to download.

Open iTunes to see if my tracks were back or not. If not, then I would close iTunes and send the file iTunes Library.itl to the recycle bin, then look in the iTunes\Previous iTunes Libraries folder for a file named iTunes Library <date and time>.itl where the date is where the update to iTunes happened. Copy that file to the iTunes folder, rename it to iTunes Library.itl and open iTunes again to see if my music is back to normal.

If that didn’t fix it, I would pull a copy of my library from my backups from before the date of the iTunes update. Open iTunes and see my whole library back to normal.

If that didn’t fix it, I would do more drastic things. Look to see if I have the songs on my hard drive still, create a new library.

lezfingal

The “tune up” app is likely causing lots of problems. Never believe these apps as helpers, they usually are spyware or virus laden. You may not even be running iTunes for real, the Tune Up App may be screwing up everything. Or you have a bad drive where the songs are stored and they need to be recovered from a backup after fixing the drive issue.

No, I would not sync. I would remove the Tune Up App, scan the system for virus infection and clean those as well.

Then I would check to see if iTunes was installed on the system. If it isn’t, then install the version I want, hopefully matching my library version. There are websites like oldversion.com that may have a 2020 version of iTunes to download.

Open iTunes to see if my tracks were back or not. If not, then I would close iTunes and send the file iTunes Library.itl to the recycle bin, then look in the iTunes\Previous iTunes Libraries folder for a file named iTunes Library <date and time>.itl where the date is where the update to iTunes happened. Copy that file to the iTunes folder, rename it to iTunes Library.itl and open iTunes again to see if my music is back to normal.

If that didn’t fix it, I would pull a copy of my library from my backups from before the date of the iTunes update. Open iTunes and see my whole library back to normal.

If that didn’t fix it, I would do more drastic things. Look to see if I have the songs on my hard drive still, create a new library.
Many thanks for your detailed and considered reply. I will remove the
errant software, clean up and will not sync.
However I'm not that technical
so I found the advice about libraries and new versions of iTunes, quite confusing.
If you have the time could you explain that please, in simpler step by for terms.

Many Thanks for going to the trouble to reply

Regards Leslie

cjmnews

Staff member
Not sure how much I can help not being in front of iTunes this week. On vacation.

The iTunes library (the list of songs and playlists) is in a file named iTunes Library.itl and it is located in the iTunes folder that is in your Music folder (usually located in C:\users\<login> folder).

When iTunes is officially updated, a copy of your library is usually made and placed in the Previous iTunes Libraries folder. It is renamed to add the date and maybe time of the upgrade. See if you have that file, usually named something like iTunes Library <date>.itl

If you have that file, then copy it to the iTunes folder. Send iTunes Library.itl to the recycle bin. Rename iTunes Library <date>.itl to iTunes Library.itl then open iTunes to see all you music is there.

If you don’t have that file in the Previous iTunes Libraries folder, then check a backup of the iTunes folder to see if you have the iTunes Library.itl file there.

Let me know what you find and we will go from there.

mbr12

Before you do anything further, make a back-up of your music library onto an external drive., not just the list, but the actual music files.

lezfingal

Thanks for your reply. The software was the culprit, after I realised its origin I was no longer surprised.

I salvaged about 1k of over 4.4k songs in iTunes. Of course I can no longer add music to my beloved iPhone Classic.

I've been researching but there is no alternative but to start again with a new mp3. Thanks to all in this thread for your concern and practical advice.

Lez

cjmnews

Staff member
You should be able to add music to any Apple device using iTunes. It may take a little work to get the drivers loaded, but they should still work.

I have an ancient iPod Color I can still add music to, I can't listen to it since the headphone jack is broken and I don't have a dock that works with the 30 pin connector, but I can still sync it.

lezfingal

You should be able to add music to any Apple device using iTunes. It may take a little work to get the drivers loaded, but they should still work.

I have an ancient iPod Color I can still add music to, I can't listen to it since the headphone jack is broken and I don't have a dock that works with the 30 pin connector, but I can still sync it.

Thanks so much. Am I correct in thinking that as soon as I synch my iPod with over 4k songs on it, to the NEW ITUNES libary with just over 1k songs I that I will be left with what's in the new library. Effectively losing over 3k in songs? Like you my iPod doesn't dock properly, but I am loathe to part with it. There aren't many devices that feature a 30 pin dock.

cjmnews

Staff member
If it is an iPod Classic (This DOES NOT work for iOS devices like iPhone and iPod Touch), you can pull the tracks off of it and put them into iTunes, then you can sync.

Playlists will be lost.

I recommend a few things:
  • A new iTunes Library is used to prevent duplicating tracks. If you want to add the 4K songs to the 1K that are there, then use the same library. You can remove the duplicates later. If you are going to use the same library, I would backup the entire iTunes folder to another drive so if things go very wrong, you can start over.
  • iTunes has the following settings:
    • Edit->Preferences, Advanced tab.
      • Keep Library Organized is checked
      • Copy New Items into iTunes Library is checked
      • Click OK.
    • This will allow iTunes to rename files with tags automatically when tracks are dropped onto iTunes.
The following steps will put the tracks directly into iTunes from an iPod (NOT iOS devices).
  1. Open File Manager in Windows
  2. Click on the View Tab and check Hidden Files.
  3. Open iTunes, then click Edit->Preferences, click on Devices, then check Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically, and click OK.
  4. Plug in the iPod into your computer.
  5. Use File Manager to navigate to the iPod drive
  6. Navigate to the iPod Control folder
  7. In the Search bar of the File Explorer type: *.m4a OR *.mp3 OR *.m4p
  8. In the results, select the first track and hold Ctrl and type A to select them all, the bottom bar of File Manager should say 4000+ items selected.
  9. Drag the tracks from File Explorer and drop them onto the Library section of iTunes.
  10. Wait for the import to complete
  11. Click on Songs section of the Library in iTunes, you should see your music.
  12. Music with Unknown Artist or Unknown Album need manual updates. Play a little of each one, then right click and choose Song Info and fill out the data and click OK
  13. In iTunes, then click Edit->Preferences, click on Devices, then uncheck Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically, and click OK.
  14. Unplug the iPod and plug it back in, it may prompt you to remove the tracks on it, which is OK since you have them in iTunes. You may need to set up syncing all the tracks by clicking the iPod in iTunes, then click the Music section, and enable syncing of all tracks.
If you have Audiobooks on the iPod you will need to add OR *.m4b to the list in step 7.

Read through that and ask questions and get clarification before you start this process.

The process may not be fast, as 4000 tracks may take a while to transfer, you may have to update 1000s of songs manually, the sync process to remove 4000 tracks and add them back on will take a while.

lezfingal

If it is an iPod Classic (This DOES NOT work for iOS devices like iPhone and iPod Touch), you can pull the tracks off of it and put them into iTunes, then you can sync.

Playlists will be lost.

I recommend a few things:
  • A new iTunes Library is used to prevent duplicating tracks. If you want to add the 4K songs to the 1K that are there, then use the same library. You can remove the duplicates later. If you are going to use the same library, I would backup the entire iTunes folder to another drive so if things go very wrong, you can start over.
  • iTunes has the following settings:
    • Edit->Preferences, Advanced tab.
      • Keep Library Organized is checked
      • Copy New Items into iTunes Library is checked
      • Click OK.
    • This will allow iTunes to rename files with tags automatically when tracks are dropped onto iTunes.
The following steps will put the tracks directly into iTunes from an iPod (NOT iOS devices).
  1. Open File Manager in Windows
  2. Click on the View Tab and check Hidden Files.
  3. Open iTunes, then click Edit->Preferences, click on Devices, then check Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically, and click OK.
  4. Plug in the iPod into your computer.
  5. Use File Manager to navigate to the iPod drive
  6. Navigate to the iPod Control folder
  7. In the Search bar of the File Explorer type: *.m4a OR *.mp3 OR *.m4p
  8. In the results, select the first track and hold Ctrl and type A to select them all, the bottom bar of File Manager should say 4000+ items selected.
  9. Drag the tracks from File Explorer and drop them onto the Library section of iTunes.
  10. Wait for the import to complete
  11. Click on Songs section of the Library in iTunes, you should see your music.
  12. Music with Unknown Artist or Unknown Album need manual updates. Play a little of each one, then right click and choose Song Info and fill out the data and click OK
  13. In iTunes, then click Edit->Preferences, click on Devices, then uncheck Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically, and click OK.
  14. Unplug the iPod and plug it back in, it may prompt you to remove the tracks on it, which is OK since you have them in iTunes. You may need to set up syncing all the tracks by clicking the iPod in iTunes, then click the Music section, and enable syncing of all tracks.
If you have Audiobooks on the iPod you will need to add OR *.m4b to the list in step 7.

Read through that and ask questions and get clarification before you start this process.

The process may not be fast, as 4000 tracks may take a while to transfer, you may have to update 1000s of songs manually, the sync process to remove 4000 tracks and add them back on will take a while.
Thanks so much for going to all this effort. I had no idea about this. Its a wee bit complicated but I will take it slowly.
There is hope. Perhaps I can tap your brain again please if I have difficulties?
Best wishes Lez

lezfingal

Thanks again for your instructions but it doesnt seem to have worked.
  1. I followed each step, 4220 songs were transferred.
  2. When I xgecjed songs there are only 1,790.
  3. No songs are without titles.
4 i applied step 13 but the iPod still has 4220 songs
5 i'm very confused!

Help please!

cjmnews

Staff member
I have some questions.
  • Did you create a new library as suggested?
    • I am guessing no.
  • How many songs were found in step 8?
    • Hopefully 4220.
  • How long did you wait for Step 10?
    • I would expect it to take 30-60 minutes.
  • Where did you see only 1790 songs after ejecting? The iPod or iTunes?
    • I would guess iTunes, and the library used was the one you recovered 1K songs in, instead of starting a new library.
  • Where did you see No songs without titles? The iPod or iTunes? How many?
    • I would guess the iPod, but it needs to be iTunes.
Step 14 is where the iPod may be erased of original tracks. Step 13 just changes the configuration of iTunes.
You should NOT do steps 13 and 14 until iTunes has 4220 songs with titles. You may need to repeat steps 3-12 to get it done right.

Let's get answers to the questions before proceeding. Let's see where we need to start again.

lezfingal

Hello again and thanks for your patience with me! Some answers to your questions firstly.....

• Did you create a new library as suggested?
    • I am guessing no.
    • YES YOU ARE CORRECT
  • How many songs were found in step 8?
    • Hopefully 4220.
  • How long did you wait for Step 10?
    • I would expect it to take 30-60 minutes.
    • YES IT TOOK ABOUT 30 MINUTES
  • Where did you see only 1790 songs after ejecting? The iPod or iTunes?
    • I would guess iTunes, and the library used was the one you recovered 1K songs in, instead of starting a new library.
    • I DONT KNOW WHERE THESE SONGS ARE GONE
  • Where did you see No songs without titles? The iPod or iTunes? How many?
    • I would guess the iPod, but it needs to be iTunes.
    • I MADE A FURTHER MISTAKE WITH THIS POINT
  1. Yes you are quite right, I had not created a new library. In all honesty I find folders and sub folders very confusing.
  2. I transferred all F50 files from iPod Control to the new library marked New Library Oct 2022.
  3. The files appear in that library in File Manager but have not copied to Songs in iTunes its basically empty.
  4. I have left Organise Libraries checked.
  5. I have left sycn Ipod to library unchecked as advised
  6. I don't understand why the "songs" all F1-50 files are in the file manager but the Itunes Library in the app remains empty.
I am sorry to be giving you this hassle but I have tried to work out where I have gone wrong but with littles success. At least I have the files from iPod Control
but cannot move them to the iTunes App on the desktop,

Thanks and Regards

cjmnews

Staff member
Not a problem to keep coming back. It is difficult to accomplish these tasks over forum posts without in-person interaction.

I have to guess what happened based on your responses. The better the details you provide, the better guesses I can make.

You said:
I have left Organise Libraries checked.
but I think you missed the second option unchecked. You need to have Copy New Items into iTunes Library is checked in Edit->Preferences, Advanced in iTunes.

Setting this option copies the files off of the iPod to your computer.
Forgetting this option will create a library with tracks that are on the iPod. When the iPod is ejected, the songs will show in iTunes, but can't be played.

Steps 7 can be tricky. Based on you saying
I don't understand why the "songs" all F1-50 files are in the file manager but the iTunes Library in the app remains empty.
I am guessing this didn't get completed like it needs to be. I built a composite of both pictures to attach. See the dark side of the picture, on the right side of that is the search box. This where you put the *.m4a OR *.mp3 OR *.m4p then press the Return button to search.
The F1-F50 are the folders in that directory, they cannot be imported into iTunes directly the search from Step 7 needs to happen to show the files.
If the search is used, then there will be a list of files each with a 4 letter name and 3 letter extension. DHGR.mp4 and KZZO.mp3 for example.
The list of files needs to be selected, not the folders.

Step 9 is hard for some people. (Drag the tracks from File Explorer and drop them onto the Library section of iTunes.) What I do is put iTunes on the left half of my screen, and the File manager on the right. The "Library" section of iTunes is in the left column at the top. I have attached a picture where to drop the files in iTunes, it is the light colored part of the picture.

You can tell that the import is working by looking at the middle bar at the top of iTunes, it will show a count of files being imported. If it just shows the Apple symbol, then no import is happening.

If your computer continues to not work with this method, I can add a couple steps to do it in stages. Even on my older computers the stages way worked every time.

Let me know how it goes.

Attachments

Last edited:

lezfingal

UPDATE 1600 GMT
Hi since my last post I have...
  1. Attempted to download an earlier version of the iTunes App but failed.
  2. I have noted elsewhere users saying they are unable to drag files to the iTunes library this appears to be my problem too
  3. Attached photo shows folders
iTunes This pc\Music
iTunes Feb 2020I
Temp iTunes Library
New Library Oct 2020

All of these folders hold playable music files. I am so confused now I literally don't know where to drag them to.

lezfingal

Hello again I'm sure at this stage you must yelp out loud when you see my post. I agree its difficult to offer solutions when you are not in the same room and the restrictions on photos don't help. So I thought that I would summarise where I am two photos are attached.

1. I have files 1-50 but I didn't know that they had to have titles to transfer. So I will attempt to transfer once again using the *mp3 OR *mp4 preface.

2. I have attached a photo to show that I have checked two boxes on Advanced Preferences in the App.
a) Keep Itunes folders organised
b) Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library. (Is this the same as Copy New Items to Itunes Library as you
described)?

3. Finally I am very unsure as to where to drag the files? The only iTunes sub folder is in the F drive which is my iPod. So what have I done wrong and what should the destination folder be please?

Thanks again L

Attachments

cjmnews

Staff member
Let me address both posts at once. No I don't complain when I get email about your posts. It is nice that someone is using my volunteer time here. Most days I am just banning spam accounts and deleting spam messages. I like that your messages are not a wall of text and use plenty of blank lines making them easy to read.

First Post on older versions of iTunes and folders:
1. Older versions of iTunes is problematic as the library file gets updated with new versions of iTunes, and can't be opened by older versions of iTunes. The only way to use an older version of iTunes is to have a backup copy of the iTunes library that is the same as the version of iTunes you are installing or older.

2. I posted a picture of where to drop that file in my response above, the right side of the picture shows the area of iTunes to drop it on. This is the upper left corner of iTunes. As for not being able drag and drop, the usual issue is where it is dropped. A lot of people think that they can drop it on My Computer and it will magically go where it needs to go. There is no magic, the location is very specific, the files must be dropped into the Library section of iTunes. If that fails to work, then let me know. I can put some steps together to do this in stages, where we copy from the iPod to the computer, then from the computer into iTunes.

3. That list of folders, is strange. If those folders are all under the Music folder, that would imply that major iTunes manipulation has been happening using the file system. Your music might be there. You would have to explore further to see if there is a folder system under that that could be possibly named by Artist/Album/Song.ext and we could import all the tracks into a new iTunes library and you may have all your music back that way. CAUTION though, as you could also end up with duplicates of music as well. It is fine to look through the folder structures there to see if the missing music is there or not.

Second Post on Files and Settings:

1. You may have Folders F01-F50, but the files will have 4 letter names and 3 letter extension. DHGR.mp4 and KZZO.mp3 for example.

2. Yes your options are correct.

3. You should drop the files into iTunes, Top left corner of iTunes just under where it says Library. See the right side of the picture I posted in my response above. You are attempting to drop the files into File Explorer, which is why the songs are not appearing in iTunes. I suggest making File Explorer fill the right side of your screen with iTunes on the left side so you can see the source and target locations at the same time. I do this manually so I can see the size of window I want. You can do this semi-automatically with a modern Windows system. Open File Explorer, and iTunes at the same time. Assuming you can see iTunes on top, click on the title bar and drag it to the left side of the screen until it snaps in place filling half of the screen. It should show a miniature version of File Explorer on the right (along with other programs like a browser if you have that open) click on File Explorer and it will fill the right side of the screen.

lezfingal

Eureka Dr iPod, your patient has recovered! Yes, it is an old version of iTunes with a problematic WMP to go with it. But eventually I was able to move the files over to the iTunes Library. I checked that the music was there. Then I went in and unchecked the sync option and the iPod synced ok. I lost about 900 songs but the message said there were errors on the files and I imagine a good number of duplicates as well.

I will back up properly and at least if this happens again I will know what to do. I can't bear to part with the iPod Classic the docking pins are not in a good state and I need to tape the unit down to ensure the synching cable works properly. However I use it every dayy. Thanks again for your patience and practical advice.