New to iPhone -- seeking clarification on how to avoid international data roaming.

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

GadgetGuru72

Finally switched from BlackBerry to iPhone, and *VERY* happy I did ...

My wife and I are headed out of the country for a vacation, and I am not buying an international data package. However, I am bringing my iPhone because we'll have WiFi in the hotel room. From the owner's manual, it would appear that all I have to do is put it on airplane mode and that will effectively turn off the data. Then, I can turn on WiFi. Is that correct?

That's probably a dumb question, but I don't want to come back to a $1000 phone bill and find out I was wrong.

Thanks in advance.

jerome g

You don't have to put it in airplane mode. Just turn off data roaming in settings-network. That way you can still get calls. I did it when I went to the UK. I just got the calling plan and used wifi for data. Just remember to cancel the international calling plan when u get back. Have fun.

R

ReyZero

In case you want to be secure, yes you can turn on Airplane Mode and then turn on WiFi.
Just note that initially when you turn Airplane mode on it'll auto-disable WiFi, for obvious reasons

jerome g

How is turning on airplane mode more secure ? If data roaming is off, you will not pull data from the cellular network. Also you would have to keep on switching airplane mode on and off to make/ recieve calls. What a pain in the butt !