New PC: Itunes can't find songs

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

McMark

I migrated to a Windows 10 PC. I copied over my songs to C:/users/username/music.

I use Windows Media player as my primary application, so most songs are organized with a sub-folder by artist. I use Itunes to install playlists on my Iphone. I doo not use icloud. This has worked fine for years.

I just installed Itunes on the new PC, and it says it cannot locate most of the tracks. (Interestingly, it can locate some of the tracks). Itunes dos have the track names and basic information for all tracks. But only has some album artwork.

Is there a bulk way to help it find the songs, or do I need to do this 1,500 times?

One option I suppose to is just blow it all out of Itunes and re-import everything from the PC.

If I do that, how do I make sure it doesn't wipe my phone? The phone is fine since all this stuff happened withtout the phone being connected.

cjmnews

Staff member
If you do the Locate process, and find the missing song file there should be a next prompt asking if it should try to use this path for all missing tracks, answer yes and most of them will get updated.

You can create playlists to find the tracks that iTunes can't find.
The steps to see all of the missing tracks are:

1. Create a new normal playlist File->New->Playlist name it Good
  2. Click on Songs in the left column of iTunes under the Library section.
  3. Click on the first song, hold Ctrl and Type A to select all the tracks.
  4. Drag all the songs and drop them into the Good playlist.
  5. Create a new smart playlist File->New->Smart Playlist
Rules:
Checked Match music for the following rules
Playlist
is Music
Playlist
is not Good
Checked Live Updating
  1. Click OK
  2. Name the playlist Bad.
All the music in the Bad playlist is what iTunes can't find the location for.

When you fix songs, you will need to delete and create the Good and Bad playlists to see the changes.

Once iTunes can see all the tracks, then your phone will be able to sync normally.
Album art is usually lost in these transitions, if your iTunes is set to download the artwork from the store, some will get updated.