new mini owner! first chrage question

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Taktix1

new mini owner! first charge question

hello everyone! i finally got myself a 2G 6gig blue mini! i am in the process of charging my ipod now and i was going through the manual and it says to charge it for atleast an hr before disconnecting (for the first time charge). how long should i leave it there? its been charging with the do not disconnect on the bottom of the screen for almost 2 hrs. btw, i have a usb 1.1 port and i think it's charging because theres a lightning bolt by the battery and its going from low to full. thanks!

note:: i would have checked the FAQs but that page isnt working, gives me some error talking about adding a txt file?

Last edited:

Taktix1

also, i opened up iTunes before plugging in my mini. when im in iTunes, and go to edit>>pref>>ipod tab, it says No ipod connected even though my mini is charging and is connected. what gives? do i have to wait until the mini is fully charged and shut down iTunes then plug the mini in first before i open iTunes?

moe_4eva

well, it recommends charging for 4 hours to get a full charge. Don't forget to disconnect, by the way. It should say there is an ipod connected to itunes though. Did you install the software before connecting the ipod? Does your computer recognize it's connected (ie in my computer?)

Fratboy

Adding on to what Moe wrote, if you are using a Windows based computer, you will need to format the iPod for Windows. iPods are preformatted for Macs. If it isn't formatted to your operating system, then iTunes may not be able to recognize it. Hope this helps.

Taktix1

i installed iTunes first as the instructions said. and yes, it does say ipod as a drive in my computer so it recognizes it. i also formatted the ipod already too. i'm going to disconnect the ipod and try to plug it in again to see what happens. thanks for the replies guys!

moe_4eva

If it doesn't work, or if you get an error message, let us know. It's fairly easy to fix.

Taktix1

so far so good guys, i disconnected it and reconnected and it got recognized and opened iTunes automatically. i'm in the process of putting some of my playlists on the ipod now, thanks!

Taktix1

one more thing. sometimes when i hook up my ipod to the usb the computer wont recogize it as being connected. doesnt show up in my computer or in iTunes. I just put some songs on it and i wanted to add more but when i connected it it hasnt been getting recognized like it did before. does the ipod have to be off or turned on when i connect it?

Edit:: i just tried diff usb ports till it worked.

as far as playlists go, i have a playlist with 23 songs in it. when i tried to drag and drop it to my iPod in iTunes (under source) it only copied 17 tracks. why didnt it copy the 6 remaining ones?

Last edited:

detz

Man did u say you have a USB 1.1 port???....i thought it has to be USB 2.0??....cuz if it works usb 2 thats awesome, i might be able to use my comp after all =)

sholmes1019

Yes, the 2G iPod minis will charge and sync over USB 1.1. It has been verified by many (including me) and discussed at length on this forum.

2point6

just remmber to hit eject ipod before disconnectiong :) i just got mine today also..

detz

I also heard that the port had to be "powered" or sumthing and i checked mine in device manager and it said it was self powered and used like 500 mA or sumthing like thats...and its 1.1 usb...is that good enough?

sorry for the inconveience i just wanna make sure tho..thanks

sholmes1019

I don't know the specifics of the power running through the port, but I imagine if it's powered, then that's all that matters. I think you'll be fine. If it says USB 1.1, then there is no question, you can charge and sync no problem.

For the record, the only thing that having a powered USB port does is save you the extra cost of buying a wall charger. It's not like USB is the only way to charge the iPod.