New iPods - The Definitive Thread

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

swy32x

Apple Refreshes iPod Line
Apple today have refreshed their iPod line, merging the iPod and iPod photo.

The iPods now are all white, and have a 20gb and 60gb options, with the ability to view album artwork.

Check www.apple.com for local pricing, and PRNewsWire for the full story.

The U2 Special edition iPod has been given a colour screen and is cheaper, and the 1Gig iPod Shuffle has been lowered in price.

The iPods no longer include a firewire cable, and these are, according to Apple, still the 4G iPods, but with a colour screen. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused by claiming that they were 5G's.

There is a new software update, 1.4, for iPod mini's

this post is constantly being updated as I find out new information ...

Last edited:

Kristiano

He hates Scousers
Haha. Are you so sure these are 5th Gens?

I'm surprised that there isn't a new design...

jetfire

Website
www.jetfire.cc
Is there a new Software update for the old iPod Photo's? Since the new iPod will Color have a podcast menu. Is the 15 hour battery life an improvement or the 2 hour charge time? I don't remember my 60GB coming with Firewire cable and I bought mine last month.

swy32x

Check on your iPod photo the software in Settings > About. That will tell you the firmware version.

If it's not 1.2, then there is a new software update, found here from Apple

whymillywhy

Almost Jesus
Is it just me or is the screen bigger on this model, it looks bigger to me, Im a little dumb :p

They should've had it in like a 40 gig model too so you could have the whole spectrum

yinyang

Retired
all the new software seemed to do for my 60gb iPp was add a podcast option in the music 'folder'. my 3g was not updated, which i find a bit strange...!?

bibby

Snowy28 you've made a little mistake, new iPods are not all white.

New 20GB model is about 10 grams heavier than older 20GB model.

swy32x

Albert, you will find that in the 3G it will be under the Playlists Menu.

There was no software update, which I must say is disappointing.

rishid

Yea, I am guessing 5g and iTunes 5.0 will have a simultaneous release. I am hoping 5g has Bluetooth support built in, so we can have cordless headphones, be a nice improvement.

swy32x

Technically, this is the 5G.

It's the 5th iteration of the straight 'iPod line'.

vitosha

Snowy, thanks for all the info. Can you tell us, is Apple anywhere actually referring to this as the 5th gen. (the way now-older ones are called 4th gen.)? Or has today's product realignment not been given a specific "generation" tag?

puckles

Website
fotolog.net
i sincerely doubt these are the 5Gs as this is LESS of an update than the 3G-4G update.

I'd say this is no more of an update than the one a few months ago when they dropped the price of the photos and made a slight modification to curb the RF interferance (it might have been some other breed of interference) with some of the remotes available

if these are the 5Gs this is more of a disappointment than Nikon's upgrade to the d70... the d50...

reacharound

Banned
dam it, i just dropped 290 (including s+h) on a 20GB ipod a lil' while ago, wish i waited. why didnt apple just tell us when they were planning to make updates. those #######s!
and why no 40GB for 350, seems a little wierd. it just makes me not like apple all that much more, they're so sketchy. if it wasnt for the ipod i would firebomb all those #####z

bibby

Battery life is 15 hours [20GB model], this new model is also bigger in depth for about 1.5cm. It really sucks, new models should be lighter and smaller, not bigger considering bith size and weight!

LCD size remains the same, like with previous 20GB model, right?

Lazar

I don't think those are the new 5G iPods.
They still use the same "old" audio chip, not the new, and the 5G iPods will use 40gb and 80gb harddrives. That's why they still use 30gb and 60gb on those: so that the 5G will really brings new things and is worth the upgrade.
I just hope the 5G will have removable battery, that would be a smart move from Apple.

Of course, the big question: WHEN???

@puckles: the updated Nikon D70 is the D70s and not the D50...

Last edited: