New iPods take 2.0 Updater???

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Chrisiam

I called Apple to discuss some things and the guy said the new iPods have a new updater (2.0).

Some time ago I asked the question here whether I could share my PC with and old and new iPod, and the quick reply was, yes, but of course not at the same time. I have the new iPod and am wondering how I am going to keep two updaters on the PC.

Further, to get the new updated I am told I will have to install the Apple software with MMJB.

Could someone address this issue? I now have a brand-new iPod which cannot be updated, and an older model which I will want to restore...

Christopher

Chrisiam

I didn't realize the NEW iPod would need the new updater, as Apple has informed me. After writing this message, I installed the Apple software, and then followed Adam's instructions to get it ready for MC9. When uninstalling the MMJB I got a message that uninstalling these certain folders "may cause other programs not to work", but of cours remembered I always told to get rid of every last drop of MMJB.

Also, the letter (E) remains assigned to IPOD, with the installation of the new software, and my older model comes in on (F) IPOD. I await your reccomendations, and want to make sure the old generation of iPod can restore using 2.0 Updater (Apple says "no").

Sorry for the mucho postings... I may be almost there...

Christopher

ashawley

Website
www.
No, the old iPod cannot accept the old Updater.

Here's the deal with the updaters. No software is required to be installed to use them. They are just standalone programs. So, when you want to use them you just run the appropriate version.

Here's what I do (I'm in the same situation as you 2 iPods, one old, one new):

Create a folder somewhere you'll remember on your PC. Call it iPod Updaters or something. Then, from your new iPod's CD, find the file called "Updater.exe" You can just search for it on the CD. Copy this file to the new folder you created. Rename it to "iPod 2.0 Updater.exe" (or something descriptive).

If you have the old CD from your old iPod, do the same thing, but obviously name the updater "iPod 1.2.6 Updater.exe".

If you don't have your CD, you should be able to get the old updater from the web on Apple's site.

Then, when you want to Restore either iPod, just run the appropriate updater.

That'll do it for you....

Adam

Chrisiam

I Made The FOLDER!!!

Thanks again Adam. I made the folder and put the two Updaters in it. They seem to come up easily.

I have a new Q: Why did the new iPod work so easily? Does it bother you that it comes in on E? I had made F the letter for the other one, and it never worked, or I should say it worked after many tries. This one chose E with the name IPOD itself, with no renaming. E is also home for the printer and the digital camera, but knowing what I know now, I can always make sure they're unplugged... Christopher