New iPod Touch 5th Gen Problem Updating to IOS 8

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

MoonlitShadow

I'm running Win 7 and I just received a 5th Gen iPod Touch after having a 3rd Gen for many years. Right out of the box yesterday, I was able to transfer my library, playlists, and it appears all other data to the new 5th Gen. I held off on updating to iOS 8 until today, because I have a large library and I only had time to transfer data then.

Today, I synced my iPod to iTunes attempting to update to iOS 8 and update apps that require it. At first, iTunes recognized the iPod and the update appeared like it would complete successfully, but by the time iTunes reached the "Waiting for iPod" portion it could not complete the update. An error message appeared claiming the iPod could not be updated. I believe the error number was 4005, but I'm not totally sure.

Now the only thing that'll appear on the iPod is the picture indicating it needs to be connected to iTunes. However, once I safely remove it from the computer and then reconnect it, iTunes no longer recognizes the iPod. When I leave it connected to the computer for a while and wait for iTunes to recognize it, every 15-20 mins I continuously hear the USB reconnection "sound" as if I just connected it and the computer is attempting to run it as new hardware. It's not shown in "Computer" dialog box at this point either though...:shake:

Should I just remove it from the computer and wait attempting the process all over again? I have even tried different USB ports and that unfortunately doesn't change a thing. My 3rd Gen never did this when updating software or syncing and I was using the same PC. Any ideas what the issue may be? Thanks in advance!

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
While the iPod is connected to your computer, and with iTunes running, reset the iPod (press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons and keep holding them until you see the Apple logo -- this will take 10-30 seconds). That should put the iPod into recovery mode, at which point your computer will attempt to install iOS 8 again. If you run into errors again, turn off any anti-virus SW on your computer in case that is getting in the way. You might also start with a computer re-boot before trying again.

No matter what, this likely means that everything on the iPod has been (or will be) erased, which means re-loading all your apps, music, and video content. If your backup of the iPod taken prior to the iOS 8 update is OK then at least you'll recover your device settings, iMessages, app data, etc. But be prepared to re-sync everything, hopefully you can at least install your backup to save a bit of headache.

When updating the two iPads in the house to iOS 8 I had a bit of a hard time and had to put them into recovery mode to complete the process. But my iPhone 5 had no problem at all going from iOS 7 to 8. It is a little daunting to see an error message like you did, but as long as your iTunes library is safe then worse case you just have a few hours of waiting for everything to re-load.

MoonlitShadow

Update: I disconnected the iPod and I tried resetting it (on/off switch + home button) which I was able to do, but nothing changed...Screen goes right back to indicating iPod needs to be connected to iTunes. So I restarted the computer, reconnected it to the computer, and manually opened iTunes. iTunes still doesn't recognize the iPod. If I had known this would've happened I never would've attempted to update to iOS 8...everything worked well together before. :mad:

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

MoonlitShadow

^ Just saw your response after posting this. Tried reset with iTunes open. Reset worked fine (Apple logo appeared) but nothing changed in iTunes. I'm not worried about losing data since everything is backed up. It seems iPod will NOT go into recovery mode though. What indicates (either in iTunes or on screen of iPod) that it's in recovery mode? I can't get away from the screen indicating iPod needs to connect to iTunes.

EDIT: Computer keeps attempting "re connection" every 10-15 mins switching iPod from Apple logo and then back to all too familiar screen indicating iPod > iTunes. :(

Last edited:

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
Usually iTunes will tell you something like "An iPod has been detected in recovery mode ..." or something to that effect. The iPod should show the sync cable on the screen telling you to connect to your computer, though that in and of itself may not mean recovery mode.

Let's try some basics, some of which may seem obvious or unrelated, but ...

Are you connecting directly to a USB port on your computer? Don't connect through a hub or any other intermediate USB port -- go directly to the computer.

Have you tried a different sync cable? They do go bad, and now that I recall my issues with my iPads I did change my Lightning cable to a different one right before things started working right (not sure though if that was the silver bullet).

Is your iTunes up to date? It could be that you need at least iTunes 11 or 12 to work with iOS 8.

If your iTunes is up to date, maybe uninstall it (you won't lose any data). If you're on a PC, also uninstall "Apple Mobile Device Support" ... which I believe is a USB driver for your device. When you re-install iTunes that installs AMDS.

Finally, if you have anti-virus SW try turning it off temporarily ... this probably wouldn't cause your immediate problem, but once you get the iOS update process going again you don't want AV software from getting in the way.

Good luck!

MoonlitShadow

Usually iTunes will tell you something like "An iPod has been detected in recovery mode ..." or something to that effect.
I have to open iTunes myself after iPod connects while simultaneously resetting iPod. iPod will reset, iTunes Library opens fine (everything is in there), but iTunes never tells me anything like "An iPod has been detected in recovery mode ..." If I didn't hear the computer's USB port noise, I'd wonder if my iPod was really connected lol.
Are you connecting directly to a USB port on your computer? Don't connect through a hub or any other intermediate USB port -- go directly to the computer.
I only ever directly connect to the computer.
Have you tried a different sync cable? They do go bad, and now that I recall my issues with my iPads I did change my Lightning cable to a different one right before things started working right (not sure though if that was the silver bullet).
I don't have a second Lightning Cable yet. I just got this 5th gen yesterday, and as I'm sure you know, the 3rd gen touch used the old dock connector cable. However, I pretty much know this is not a cable issue. The cable worked fine yesterday (only day I got to use it so far!) before this issue of attempting to update to iOS 8. The failed update is/was without a doubt the source of this issue.
Is your iTunes up to date? It could be that you need at least iTunes 11 or 12 to work with iOS 8.
I'm not updated to 12 yet. I usually wait a while before updating to the latest version, and ironically issues like the one we're discussing is exactly why I usually wait. I do have 11.1.5.5 installed, which I thought would be recent enough, isn't it?
If your iTunes is up to date, maybe uninstall it (you won't lose any data). If you're on a PC, also uninstall "Apple Mobile Device Support" ... which I believe is a USB driver for your device. When you re-install iTunes that installs AMDS.
Should I update it to 12 now before uninstalling it to prevent losing any data? When I reinstall it will be 12, b/c that's the latest version available. Are you sure I won't lose data? I'm asking b/c I have tons of Playlists created going back to 2008, and I could never recreate them all by memory. I'll uninstall Apple Mobile Device Support driver too. I just need to know the correct order to do everything that will prevent altering anything in my iTunes Library. I'm a little confused/frustrated about why and whether I should reinstall iTunes when it does work fine though. It's the iPod which won't go into Recovery Mode.
Finally, if you have anti-virus SW try turning it off temporarily ... this probably wouldn't cause your immediate problem, but once you get the iOS update process going again you don't want AV software from getting in the way.
I have anti-virus turned off. I'm not sure what you mean by SW though. Thanks for all your help! I'll wait for a response...

EDIT: Updated to iTunes 12 before uninstalling anything. Reconnected iPod and reset it w/iTunes open. This is getting a bit ridiculous. The iPod resets but still can't get to Recovery Mode. Library is in tact and iTunes runs fine. Should I still try uninstalling iTunes? Might the iPod itself have become corrupted?

Last edited:

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
I have to open iTunes myself after iPod connects while simultaneously resetting iPod. iPod will reset, iTunes Library opens fine (everything is in there), but iTunes never tells me anything like "An iPod has been detected in recovery mode ..." If I didn't hear the computer's USB port noise, I'd wonder if my iPod was really connected lol.
Sorry, I'm a little rusty on this topic ... to get into "recovery mode" read this Apple article and follow it to the letter:

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

I have anti-virus turned off. I'm not sure what you mean by SW though.
Sorry, SW is short for software.

EDIT: Updated to iTunes 12 before uninstalling anything. Reconnected iPod and reset it w/iTunes open. This is getting a bit ridiculous. The iPod resets but still can't get to Recovery Mode. Library is in tact and iTunes runs fine. Should I still try uninstalling iTunes? Might the iPod itself have become corrupted?
Uninstalling iTunes and "Apple Mobile Device Support" can't hurt, and would be my next suggestion. Then re-install iTunes 12 and then try Apple's procedure for recovery mode above. I doubt that the iPod could be corrupted so badly to cause this, but I suppose anything's possible.

Was this a new iPod or a used one? If it is new then if you don't succeed then are you able to get to the Apple store (or retailer where purchased) to attempt an exchange?

MoonlitShadow

Was this a new iPod or a used one? If it is new then if you don't succeed then are you able to get to the Apple store (or retailer where purchased) to attempt an exchange?
Sorry it took me so long, but I wanted to update this with the resolution. It's a new iPod that I only had for less than 5 days when this happened. I did take it back to the Apple store for an exchange. I originally thought they were going to exchange it, but they were determined to get it running instead.

After 3 attempts to get iOS 8 on it at the Genius Bar, they were going to give me a new one despite not really wanting to (which I didn't understand considering it was clearly brand new) 8 finally installed at the fourth attempt. They told me the installation kept getting "interrupted" and it's still not clear to me why that was happening. I was able to sync to iTunes and reload everything back onto the iPod when I got home. The iPod is thankfully functioning well right now, but unfortunately I'm left weary of whether or not I should install whenever the next update comes around. This iPod doesn't seem to take updates well or or get into recovery easily.:confused: