New iPod/iTunes won't eject after sync Help!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

MoonlitShadow

I'm not new to iPods (have a 4G), but I did get a new 5.5G 80 GB for Christmas. Just loaded all my songs and podcasts onto it, without a problem until the last second. iTunes claims the update is complete, but for some reason will not switch to the next screen where it normally should say, "OK to Disconnect." Since iTunes remains on the "Update is complete" screen the iPod itself still says "Do not disconnect." I've tried ejecting the iPod in iTunes with the eject button. Each time I press that button, I get the message that tells me I can't eject the iPod because it's suposedly "in use by another application", which can't be possible as it's only being used by iTunes itself. So, how can I get iTunes to move from "udate is complete" (which it seems to be stuck on) to "OK to Disconnect" in order to eject it safely? Any help would be greatly appreciated as soon as possible, especially since I don't want to have to leave my iPod connected to the computer for the rest of the night. Thanks in advance. ;)

Edited to add: I think I should probably add that after I loaded everything onto the iPod I let iTunes also upate the firmware. Apparently, it didn't come with 1.2.1 and I figured I might as well have it on there. Now, I almost wish I hadn't done that, because immeadiately after the firmware update installed this problem began. Once the firmware fully installed Windows was opening the iPod in Disk mode, which is probably why I can't eject properly in iTunes now, correct? Should I eject it within Windows via the My Computer window now?

Last edited:

n2xe

Audio Evangelist
Website
www.n2xe.com
Sounds like youu figured it out. Windows probably has it open in disk mode. Have you enabled disk mode? I run a Mac and switched because Windows got to be too frustrating.

rob7897

I too have this problem on 1.2.1 on my new 80gb ipod. i do not have disk mode on.
When it has updated, itunes says ipod update is complete, but it shows the red circle on the ipod. if i try to use eject in itunes, it resyncs and ends up in the same state.
If i disconnect it once it says update is complete, it takes several seconds for the ipod to return to a usable state. I have tried rebooting my PC etc but cant get this to go away. My 5g replaces my 30gb 3g, and i had no issues with that. its definitely not the ipod in disk mode.

projectdarkside

I get that same message, so i just pull out the usb, I know its bad, but the little loading thing in the left corner of the ipod was done

What does disk mode do, should i turn it off

n2xe

Audio Evangelist
Website
www.n2xe.com
Disk mode allows you to use the iPod as an external hard drive. You can stuff any file you want on it. I have a 60GB iPod Photo which has a complete image of my iBook drive (40GB).

rob7897

ok try this.
dont click the eject icon, but right click (im using windows) on the ipod name on the left of itunes and select eject. seems to work for me, so i reckon its an itunes bug.

rob7897

rob7897 said:
ok try this.
dont click the eject icon, but right click (im using windows) on the ipod name on the left of itunes and select eject. seems to work for me, so i reckon its an itunes bug.
Maybe this doesnt work all the time, but it seems to work better. Try it anyway, I need to test it more myself.

Last edited:

BeckyBelt

Try this - it worked for me

I got a new PC a month ago, and haven't easily been able to eject my iPod from it since. I finally got it to work today by doing the following:
Double-click the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in the system tray. Scroll through the list of devices until you see your iPod, and highlight it (Make sure you highlight the entry for the iPod itself, and on the USB mass storage device entry containing it in the tree). Click the Properties button, and when the Properties window opens, go to the Policies tab. Change the selection from "Optimize for quick removal" to "Optimize for performance" (a little counterintuitive, granted), and click OK to close all windwos. You'll get a message stating that you need to restart for the changes to take effect, but mine worked immediately. I'm now able to use the eject button in iTunes just like it was intended. Good luck!

rob7897

Its better, but still not right. Maybe the next itunes or ipod update wll fix this. I had no problem with my 3g.

rob7897

I just tried a 5g 60gb at version 1.0 firmware, and it ejected no problem. I am convinced this is a problem with 1.2.1 software. Hopefully the next update will sort it out.

rob7897

Weird. My ipod is now ejecting fine. Both after auto-synching and if i hit eject in itunes.
I have no idea why!

lockjawdavis

Locked Up

I'm having the same problem ejecting my 80gb iPod from my Mac. Now it's locked on 'Do Not Disconnect.' Anyway I can shut it down or 'unlock' it from this mode???

drowninginmyway

I think I've found a temp. solver to this problem

I was having the same problem with my ipod nano5g. What I did was when the "Update is complete" screen came up and the iPod and iTunes still said "Do not disconnect." I click the little "x" in the top right window of iTunes that says "Do not Disconnect" and then eject it and it works. I've only done this once, but u guys can try it and see if it works for you too.