New iPhone - unbelievable missing features

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

markmcrobie

No 32GB?

No copy/paste?

No forwarding texts?

No better camera?

No video recording?

No more Bluetooth profiles? (DUN, A2DP, object push)

Those were the 6 features I was hoping for, I don't care about GPS or 3G. If they'd even got 3 of the 6, I'd have upgraded from my old iPhone, but not now

Jesse Hollington

Administrator
Website
www.ilounge.com
32GB would have been a nice upgrade, and it's probably coming, but I'm guessing Apple is waiting until they can bump the iPod touch to 64GB. They seem to want to keep the iPod touch capacity at least one notch ahead of the iPhone.

Copy and paste is definitely a missing feature, although Apple is probably still obsessing about figuring out how to do it properly on the current interface.

Forwarding texts? We don't know that isn't there, but probably not. If it is, it will be in the 2.0 firmware for your existing iPhone anyway, however, so it wouldn't require a new phone anyway.

Better camera and video recording are both features that are coin-flips. For every person you can find who cares about these features, you can find somebody who couldn't care less and would prefer to see something else. Video recording is a software feature that will probably be delivered through an SDK app anyway, which may be why Apple didn't bother including it in the default configuration.

As for the camera resolution, I'm always amazed at the demands people place on cell phone cameras, particularly when they do so based on an arbitrary number rather than actual experience. Take an average cell phone with a 3.2MP or 5MP camera, and then compare shots taken, under the same conditions with the iPhone's 2MP camera. You're going to find the difference is very subtle. The reason is that with the optics and imaging sensors on most cell phone cameras, there's a diminishing return affect above a certain resolution.... If the lens and imaging sensors can't actually produce a high-resolution image properly, it doesn't matter how many megapixels are being stored.

The few good higher-resolution cell phone cameras generally have bigger lenses, better optics, and are more focused on the camera aspect (no pun intended).

Some additional Bluietooth support would be nice in general terms, particularly for things related to wireless syncing (although WiFi could be better leveraged for that anyway). A2DP, however, is another one of these features that looks good on a spec sheet, but is far too disappointing in practical application to be worth the effort of including. Somebody in another thread said they got "Good cassette quality" on an A2DP adapter, and that about describes it, under optimal conditions. Since Apple is marketing this to the average end user and not the technophile, they're going to avoid putting in features that would work below people's expectations.

markmcrobie

jhollington said:
32GB would have been a nice upgrade, and it's probably coming, but I'm guessing Apple is waiting until they can bump the iPod touch to 64GB. They seem to want to keep the iPod touch capacity at least one notch ahead of the iPhone.
First of all, very good post, good constructive comments in there. As for your point above, I've actually read the problem is they can't physically, at the moment, fit 2 x 16GB chips in there. Dunno how true that is, but it kinda makes sense, since we know the 32GB Touch has 2 x 16GB chips, and the iPhone does have other hardware crammed in that the Touch doesn't, so maybe it's true. So we may have to wait till they can source single 32GB chips cheaper before they implement a 32GB iPhone.

jhollington said:
Copy and paste is definitely a missing feature, although Apple is probably still obsessing about figuring out how to do it properly on the current interface.
It's such an obvious feature that's now been omitted at launch, 3-4 firmware updates and a whole new 2nd generation device that it makes you think it CAN'T just be an oversight, they MUST be deliberately leaving it out for some reason, perhaps the one you mention.

jhollington said:
Forwarding texts? We don't know that isn't there, but probably not. If it is, it will be in the 2.0 firmware for your existing iPhone anyway, however, so it wouldn't require a new phone anyway.
Good point. In the case of forwarding texts, again, as above, it's such an obvious feature, except this time I really can't think of a valid excuse for them not implementing it.

jhollington said:
Better camera and video recording are both features that are coin-flips. For every person you can find who cares about these features, you can find somebody who couldn't care less and would prefer to see something else. Video recording is a software feature that will probably be delivered through an SDK app anyway, which may be why Apple didn't bother including it in the default configuration.

As for the camera resolution, I'm always amazed at the demands people place on cell phone cameras, particularly when they do so based on an arbitrary number rather than actual experience. Take an average cell phone with a 3.2MP or 5MP camera, and then compare shots taken, under the same conditions with the iPhone's 2MP camera. You're going to find the difference is very subtle. The reason is that with the optics and imaging sensors on most cell phone cameras, there's a diminishing return affect above a certain resolution.... If the lens and imaging sensors can't actually produce a high-resolution image properly, it doesn't matter how many megapixels are being stored.

The few good higher-resolution cell phone cameras generally have bigger lenses, better optics, and are more focused on the camera aspect (no pun intended).
Kinda disagree here - photos taken indoors with my iPhone are, when viewed on a full-size screen (they look fine on the iPhone screen), considerably worse quality than ALL mid and high end phones I've seen over the couple of years. My g/f's Samsung U600 takes much better pics, and it's neither new nor exactly "high end". Outdoor photos in good light seem fine though.

jhollington said:
Some additional Bluietooth support would be nice in general terms, particularly for things related to wireless syncing (although WiFi could be better leveraged for that anyway). A2DP, however, is another one of these features that looks good on a spec sheet, but is far too disappointing in practical application to be worth the effort of including. Somebody in another thread said they got "Good cassette quality" on an A2DP adapter, and that about describes it, under optimal conditions. Since Apple is marketing this to the average end user and not the technophile, they're going to avoid putting in features that would work below people's expectations.
True. I'd really like DUN for pairing with my TomTom for traffic updates, etc, but I do realise that because the iPhone contracts come with unlimited data, they're unlikely to allow Bluetooth DUN in case people use the iPhone as a laptop modem and download stuff all day, every day.

It IS kinda disappointing not to have object push, etc, for forwarding photos and stuff to my mates' phones, but I guess Apple are really pusing the idea that e-mail should be used for this kind of thing. Problem is most other phones are so poor at handling email that none of my mates would ever check email on them (personally I love the iPhone for email and I hardly ever use a computer for email at all now, except to view attachments the iPhone can't handle).

I actually love my iPhone and doubt I could ever go back to any other phone. Like I said e-mail is superb on it, and the browser is to die for, as is the look and usability of the touch screen. The iPod functionality for music, videos, etc is superb, as is the photo application, and I'm really looking forward to see what comes out of the App Store, but I'd still love to see the things I mentioned implemented.

If they brough out an iPhone with those 6 things added/fixed, I'd be happy to pay top dollar for it.

Ashrack

I agree there was some disappointments in the release. I would add that voice-dialing still not there? But again, it is software, so SDK and third party will add this for those that care. I have the old 4GB iPhone and the memory size just isn't such a big deal... Talk to me when we are looking at 60GB options.

And come on, you can get Monkey Ball!! How could you possibly complain?

Harley05

markmcrobie said:
No 32GB?

No copy/paste?

No forwarding texts?

No better camera?

No video recording?

No more Bluetooth profiles? (DUN, A2DP, object push)

Those were the 6 features I was hoping for, I don't care about GPS or 3G. If they'd even got 3 of the 6, I'd have upgraded from my old iPhone, but not now

I too had hoped for 32gig version.. but I'm sure that's coming out for the hoidays so were all trying to decide if we replace our new 16gig 3G phones... lol

Copy/paste and text forwarding.. I personally don't text all that much, I still enjoy talking to people. The copy/past would be nice and with the touch interface you would think be a natural fit. I guess we will just have to wait for version 3.0.

The camera and video recording... I have no use for. I don't expect a phone nor bother using it for real photo's. no zoom, no flash etc.. I personally would much rather have more speed (3G) and more functionality (2.0) then anything related to video. Video recording would eat up to much memory to be useful and the quality just isn't there. I think it would take way to many features to make it even remotely useful as a video recording device. Also battery life would be effected, which they are not willing to sacrifice.

Bluetooth would be nice, I had really hoped for A2DP as well, stereo headphone seem to be the real missing link to really make this a wireless device. My only guess they are not happy with the quality of sound or the effect it would have on the battery life. Bluetooth eats battery life and they can't boast 24 hours of music with this type of headset.

Harley05

Ashrack said:
I agree there was some disappointments in the release. I would add that voice-dialing still not there? But again, it is software, so SDK and third party will add this for those that care. I have the old 4GB iPhone and the memory size just isn't such a big deal... Talk to me when we are looking at 60GB options.

And come on, you can get Monkey Ball!! How could you possibly complain?

Seriously... we have Super Monkey Ball !! We can't ask to anything else can we? It's like the stars have all aligned.. 110 levels of Super Monkey Ball... can we really ask for anyting more...

TheMBC

Website
www.phonesocial.net
Yeah, I think the biggest disappointments are copy and paste and forwarding.

I was thinking the other day of how they could add copy and paste and pondered: maybe you can touch where you want to begin copying for a while and then touch the end of that text, but since it's a touchscreen, it wouldn't always be accurate.

So, then I though maybe if you tap it twice but the second time keep your hand there for like one second and then drag your finger, it could bring up the magnifier and show what you are selecting, and then you'd tab the selected text to "copy" it, then hold your finger somewhere else so it can bring an option for you to "paste."

IDK, just how I think of it.

Forwarding would be a GREAT feature, though.

deftdrummer1

The power that be.
copy and pasting URL'S is the only real reason I would need copy and paste functions. Surely this could be incorporated into the + function of the browser, like where the "mail this link" and bookmark functions reside.

I really think that the majority of people would copy and paste URL'S, not whole blocks of text.

Now video recording on the other hand... is a feature on even the most basic phones. A smartphone with the largest capacities in the world certainly ought to have video recording.

wmerrifield

Yeah, a video recorder app that is really simple (pretty much like the Flip range of mini-video-recorders) with integrated uploading to YouTube or a .Mac/MobileMe Web Gallery (or email as an attachment) would be welcome.

And whilst I don't care for MMS personally, enough members of my family use it that it's something I would like to see in a software update.

A nicer camera would be good, but I'd rather have bigger sensor pixels, rather than simply more of them. But I think if Apple were to update the camera they would want to really update it and have a proper focus/zoom system with a bigger sensor, flash and image stablisation (and not a sticky-out lens as well, probably integrated into the body like the Sony DSC-T300). But all that optical stuff would need space and to make the iPhone bigger to fit all that in.

Cut & Paste I don't miss that much, strangely.

Jesse Hollington

Administrator
Website
www.ilounge.com
wmerrifield said:
Yeah, a video recorder app that is really simple (pretty much like the Flip range of mini-video-recorders) with integrated uploading to YouTube or a .Mac/MobileMe Web Gallery (or email as an attachment) would be welcome.
Since even the first-generation iPhone has had a video recorder app created for it that you can add through a hack, I expect that we'll see something similar for the iPhone 2.0, provided the SDK doesn't prevent access to the camera.

It's entirely possible that this is one of those areas that Apple expects the SDK to address, and therefore doesn't feel the need to complicate things by trying to build it in.

A nicer camera would be good, but I'd rather have bigger sensor pixels, rather than simply more of them. But I think if Apple were to update the camera they would want to really update it and have a proper focus/zoom system with a bigger sensor, flash and image stablisation (and not a sticky-out lens as well, probably integrated into the body like the Sony DSC-T300). But all that optical stuff would need space and to make the iPhone bigger to fit all that in.
You've hit the nail on the head here, and this is what I've been saying for a while as well.... People who don't understand how optics, sensors, and image processing on digital cameras work make the erroneous assumption that Apple should just increase the resolution of the camera to "make a better camera" on the iPhone.

The reality, however, is that this is the exact reason that most cell phone cameras are next to useless. The imaging sensors and other imaging processing hardware is just not up to the task. If Apple wanted to play the megapixel game, they could push the camera resolution to 5MP, but with the current hardware and size of the iPhone, you still wouldn't get any better quality. In this one particular case, at least Apple is being honest by advertising it as a 2MP camera and not trying to artificially push the resolution to unrealistic levels.

Although some cell phones like the Nokia N95 have cameras that aren't too bad, they still don't compare to a decent standalone digital camera of even lower resolution. The only cell phones with really good cameras on them are the Sony Ericsson phones, and that's largely because Sony is in the camera business as well, and if you look at some of their higher-end camera phones, they're really a hybrid of a slim Sony Cybershot camera (like the DSC-T series) with a phone integrated into them.

Cut & Paste I don't miss that much, strangely.
The iPhone does a good job of allow you to do most things without needing cut and paste compared to most other smart phone devices on the market. People who haven't used an iPhone make a lot of noise about the lack of it, but you're essentially correct that you wouldn't miss it most of the time. Mind you, there are still times when the lack of it has been a huge inconvenience, because it's one of those things you make the assumption that you should be able to do.

In fact, although it hasn't happened often, it's the only thing on the iPhone that I've ever "bumped up against" when using the device. Everything else works so brilliantly it's completely transparent to use, but the lack of copy and paste can be a bit frustrating when you're expecting to be able to do it. Mind you, this is a problem that is more likely to annoy people with previous smart phone experience. It probably wouldn't even phase somebody coming from a traditional cell phone.

markmcrobie

Without a doubt not being able to forward a text message is a huge omission? Surely we all agree on that - my mate's send me a lot of jokes by text, some very funny but long winded - I have no way of forwarding that on to more mates without re-typing the whole lot. And up until 1.1.3 (or 4, can't remember), I would have had to re-type it for EVERY person I wanted to send it to. Which proves Apple can, and will, fix these omissions by FW update. Why they haven't added the ability to forward a text yet is beyond me.

And whilst I agree mostly that video recording isn't a much used or needed feature, I had a classic example today at lunch time of where it's invaluable. I was waiting outside the doctor's in the car park for my g/f, and my 2 year old in the back started singing along to "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" that was playing on his CD in the car stereo. He's never done it before, and it was very funny & cute, and is the type of thing my g/f would love to put on her Bebo, Facebook, email to relatives, etc. I grabbed her Samsung U600 and videoed him at the next verse. The clip is hilarious. I couldn't have captured the moment with an iPhone. In situations like this the fact that the quality of the sound and picture in the video is fairly poor is neither here nor there.

chiros13

My biggest complaint is not being able to sync notes/memos. I'm still not able to do that without some sort of gymnastic solution, right?

tnutzinc

Owner TopIndieArtists.com
Website
TopIndieArtists.com
I would like the copy paste function as well. I would think its a simple program issue to add to the ctrl or alt function on the keyboard!? no? I would love a 32gb as well! bluetooth isnt a demand....so I dont care about that...

Jesse Hollington

Administrator
Website
www.ilounge.com
chiros13 said:
My biggest complaint is not being able to sync notes/memos. I'm still not able to do that without some sort of gymnastic solution, right?
Agreed, although it's difficult to say whether that will be included or not with the v2.0 update. In the very least hopefully they will sync OTA to Exchange and MobileMe, although I agree that wouldn't be a complete solution, it would at least be something. Sadly, I'm not holding my breath....

tnutzinc said:
I would like the copy paste function as well. I would think its a simple program issue to add to the ctrl or alt function on the keyboard!? no?
Well, I think it would be a bit more complicated than that. How would you go about selecting text? How do you differentiate between a "Select" operation and an operation that merely positions the cursor. How do you do this without adding unnecessary complexity and confusion to the existing user interface (bearing in mind that Apple wants to produce a device that doesn't require an owner's manual to operate, and that the average user isn't going to want to get into complicated finger exercises to accomplish basic tasks).

Apple may be deliberately ignoring this requirement, or they may be busily obsessing with trying to figure out how to do this right. I'm really not sure which, but based on the current iPhone UI, it strikes me as a far more complicated question than you might think.

Michael319

if anything for forwarding texts we should be able to hold our finger on the message bubble and it should come up with an option that says forward. Doesnt seem to hard anyone get what I'm saying

Andyb7777

With regard to the camera resolution issue, I've taken some great shots on the iPhone and they come out perfectly fine on A4 paper more than adequate for my needs. Personally I wish they'd included a flash but I'm not that bothered by it at all...

I agree with the SMS forwarding issue though.