• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

New here.. Thought I could get help with classifying genres/sub-genres

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

bgr001

Hello I am bgr001 and I need individuals who can help me classify genres/sub genres of music tracks that I and many others have found difficult to classify due to the extremely technical differences in characteristics that distinguish them from other sub-genres... I need people who can analyze tunes, become familiar with the distinguishing characteristics, and then based on what you have learned, you can help classify tunes based on the genre/sub genre's special characteristics (now if you already know the distinguishing characteristics, good for you that's a plus as it would be good to have someone who specializes in this stuff like I do).

Example 1: Let's say I choose the song called Simple Man by Lynyrd Skynyrd... If you listen to it, automatically you can tell it's under the genre of rock music, but this track isn't just simply a rock tune, it has distinguishing features that sub categorize it from other forms of rock music... So when I ask you what category you think this song belongs to, don't just say rock music (also provide the sub-genre of the song if possible). It's clear that when you listen to this tune, you can hear other elements that distinguish it from other forms of the rock music genre; in the case of this song, you can hear some Blues elements. It is specifically under the genre of rock music, but its distinguishable Bluesy characteristics make it obvious that it is not just rock music, but a sub-genre of rock music called Blues-rock!

Example 2: We all are familiar with the very famous Super Mario Bros. Theme. Since the song is related to video games, many people often distinguish this tune not as a genre or sub-genre, but as video game music aka VGM. These people are not wrong when they say this tune is video game music, but technically it is classified under a sub-genre called Chiptune which is categorized under Electronic music. Again I don’t want you to just state the obvious by telling me it’s an electronic song, but I want you to go deeper and tell me its sub-genre(s). The Beeps and Boops of Chiptune often distinguish this difference from other electronic music sub-genres.

The concept of the examples provided above applies to other categories as well such as jazz, reggae, new age music, etc...

It's important to note that when genres of music have sub-genres, the sub-genres of those genres can also have sub-genres... In other words, sub-genres of genres can also have sub-genres, so please be aware of this when taking part in the process of classifying the provided tune...

It's also important to understand that many songs out there may have more than one genre in it (I will distinguish these tunes as HYBRIDS)... Although some songs may have more than one genre in it, there is always one genre that stands out more than the other and in this case, we will distinguish these multiple genres separately and then determine which one stands out more than the other

In the case that we can NOT distinguish one specific category for a song, we will classify it as UNDETERMINED!

As you have noticed so far on what I have explained, I am very technical and I want nothing more than your best effort when you participate because when I categorize my songs, I want to make sure that not only do I benefit from its organizational value, but you do as well so that you may be able to find these songs when you search for new material (for whatever reason that may be, that is none of my business)

I find this activity of categorizing music a very enjoyable passion of my life and I would like others to experience that joy as well; whether you may enjoy my taste in music or not, please have respect for my taste in music. Make sure to respond objectively, intellectually, and especially respectfully!

VERY IMPORTANT: my username is bgr001 and when I post on forums, I will always title a new song to classify in this format bgr classifications --- then “new tune to classify” ----after that then “Title and artist of song” (if possible)

Also important this is not an advertisement nor a promotion.. This activity is a means of collaborating together to achieve a common goal and as a result, we all can benefit from the significance of categorizing music so that it can not only be easier to find, but you can search for new forms of music once you get the hang of genre/sub-genre classifications.

Thank you all and I look forward to all of your input and feedback!

Cold Irons

Interesting idea & might be interesting to see what responses you get. Don't see that you will generate any definitive genre/sub-genre classifications, since I don't think such definitive classifications exist. Everyone sees this through their own perspective & from my experience, even discussing this among friends, no one can agree. Even the top-level genre is sometimes hard to get agreement on; let alone the sub-genres. Any given song will reside in multiple, overlapping sub-genres.

In your example #1, my first sub-genre below rock would have to be "southern rock" as Lynyrd Skynyrd's music flowed from the same source as the Allman Brothers. Of course, this is also correctly described as Blues Rock (or Arena Rock, or Hard Rock, etc. etc.).

Alt-Country bands such as Uncle Tupelo or the Old 97s seem even harder; I have difficulty even picking Rock or Country as the top level genre. In my own digital music library I've chosen to keep all of my genres at a high level with less genres as opposed to more (Rock, Country, Jazz...the big picture), although I always enjoy arguing these definitions with friends.

The All-Music Guide provides interesting reading as far as the definition of genres and the inter-relationship of various sub-genres.

bgr001

Thank you very much for responding to my post Cold Irons. The All-Music Guide sounds like a very good place to start and I thank you for telling me about it. Cheers to you, my friend.