New Firmware?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Tekki

So I was just wondering, the iPod 5G is on firmware 1.0 right now. Soon enough, Apple will update the firmware but what can they do?

For example, one slight problem with the 5G is the lag issue. Can this be fixed through a firmware update?

Can the iPod support more codecs through a firmware update?

What about gapless playback?

Just wondering what it can do, give possibilities of extreme cases if you wish.

I just need to know how much a firmware update can do.

Quillz

Enlightened
Website
www.quillz.net
It seems likely to me that new firmware could introduce new types of iPod-friendly formats. Of course, would Apple really want to do that? If anything, little things, like minor audio glitches, would be fixed and improved.

tru5t

have you looked up revision history on them?

i want to tell you a story:

Once upon a time, there was a Prince named tru5t.
the young prince owned a 4G ipod photo, he always wanted to browse his music by genre...but the only way to do it was by creating smart playlists with different genre's.

but one fine afternoon, he did a firmware update, and the browse by genre feature was suddenly added...
he was ecstatic!!!

and Prince Tru5t lived happy ever after.....

Last edited:

filburt1

Scratchless 30 GB 5G
Website
www.webdesignforums.net
Tekki said:
So I was just wondering, the iPod 5G is on firmware 1.0 right now. Soon enough, Apple will update the firmware but what can they do?

1. For example, one slight problem with the 5G is the lag issue. Can this be fixed through a firmware update?

Can the iPod support more codecs through a firmware update?

What about gapless playback?

Just wondering what it can do, give possibilities of extreme cases if you wish.

I just need to know how much a firmware update can do.
1. If the problem is caused by poorly-designed code, then yes.
2. Supposedly yes, Apple has said that the hardware decoder can be upgraded for new video formats. What formats those are could be anything, though.
3. Unless it is a limitation of the hardware that streams the audio, then yes.

It will certainly fix the Play-power-button-not-working bug.

daveg

i like my iPod
This is my first iPod so I don't know how Apple goes about advertising firmware updates... will I be notified in my iTunes (like they notify me when a new iTunes version is available?) or will I just have to keep an eye on the forums and their website for new firmware? Thanks!

filburt1

Scratchless 30 GB 5G
Website
www.webdesignforums.net
They're usually but not always accompanied by an iTunes update which you do get notified about in iTunes. Also everybody will be talking about it here for sure.

JMG

asdf
I wish there was a way to easily turn off song shuffle instead of going to the settings menu.

I also would like the option to get rid of the extra animation that could be the cause of the menu lag... ie when a new song comes on all the text is PUSHED to the left while the new song info comes in from the right. Is that really necessary? I would also like the option in itues to select a bunch of songs and change the "skip when shuffling" setting instead of one song at a time.

Customizable video types would be nice too.. like TV, CONCERTS, etc... Also a thumbnail preview (same as itunes) for the videos would be nice.

jhpope

Website
jhpope.blogspot.com
when do we all think the next firmware update will come out...i'm anxious

if they can add other video formats they should add .avi!!!

though i doubt they will...its too widely shared and would undercut their itunes market

filburt1

Scratchless 30 GB 5G
Website
www.webdesignforums.net
I would say as early as a couple of weeks, as long as a couple of months. Only Apple knows.

.avi is not a video format, it is a file extension. A .avi file can contain any combination of audio/video codec including Xvid, DivX, MPEG-4, MP3, AAC, Indeo, WAV, etc.

Daveoc64

filburt1 said:
I would say as early as a couple of weeks, as long as a couple of months. Only Apple knows.

.avi is not a video format, it is a file extension. A .avi file can contain any combination of audio/video codec including Xvid, DivX, MPEG-4, MP3, AAC, Indeo, WAV, etc.
Bearing in mind the iPod photo was released in October and did not see an update until the end of march this year, I don't hold out much hope.

chippe01

JMG said:
... Also a thumbnail preview (same as itunes) for the videos would be nice.
You can set your thumbnail picture to whatever you like. You need to have the video play in a seperate window. When you see the frame you want as the thumbnail, pause the video (not really necessary, but more accurate). Right click inside the video window and choose "Set Poster Frame" That will make that image your thumbnail.

DUUHH - never mind - I misread that sentence.

Last edited:

SimonStern

Here's a weird bug they can fix:

When listening to music, you can select the lyrics to display. When the next song come up, it leaves you on the Lyrics screen. The problem is that you cannot scroll the lyrics anymore (nor change the volume for that matter.) You have to go through the WHOLE sequence hitting the center button until the lyrics come up again.

Also, if you go to the album art screen and look at it for a while when you hit the center button it will take you to the lyrics if there are any. If there aren't you go back to the default "now playing" screen. It will skip the rating. If you hang out on the lyrics screen then hit the center button it will go to the rating screen. Either way is fine, but consistance would be preferred.

How about displaying the rating on the "Now Playing" screen. Perhaps an indicator to see if there are lyrics available.

How about the ability to simply and easily play all podcasts from one source in sequential order from oldest to newest. (Going through Genre-->Podcast will get all of the podcasts in that folder, but it will random across them if you have shuffle set.) Of course, this doesn't work with Video Podcasts at all.

Video specific tag information would be nice. Director, main stars, studio, etc. This could coincide with better management of the files within iTunes. I would love to rip all of my DVDs and use iTunes to manage them as I have it managing my CDs. The interface for video is in it's infancy. Hopefully it will improve.

Fast forward and rewind in videos. Instead of jumping, would be a MUCH better solution.

I would like to see the thumbnails of my videos on my iPod also.

How about the ability to mark any file for deletion at next sync?

I have only had this iPod for about 3, mabey 4 weeks. My last iPod I bought before iTunes came out for Windows so this has been my first experience with iTunes also. So in another 3-4 weeks I am sure I will have more ideas for improvement. :)

Bonus iTunes update request: iTunes will convert .WMA files automatically when you try to add them to the library on a Windows machine. How about some conversions/transcodes for videos too?

Bonus 2 -- The ability to mix audio and video in the same playlist, and when the video comes up, have it play the video, not just the audio portion of the video.