New Decemberists

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

antiditz

So apparently parts of the new album, scheduled for release in early October, has leaked (big surpise there). I managed to snag a couple of tracks off various blogs before they were yanked off. I love the Decemberists, and so far, I like what I hear. The sound is slightly different, a bit heavier on the drums and electric guitar, but with Colin Meloy's vocals, it's still very much the Decemberists we know and love. Definitely looking forward to getting the full release come October.

Anyone else get a taste? Thoughts?

bdb

On the B side of life
Well of course I gotta give my local boys a listen. :)

Its hard to know what to make of a band changing its style. Its certainly not something that you can fault them for, having already released three albums and four EPs with similar styles. But it does present a quandry. Basically I think one has to re-evaluate the music for what it is now. They'll get a little extra credit for being a past favorite, but some will deduct a point for signing with a major label.

My first reaction is that it sounds like Colin Meloy's voice & lyrics set to music I've heard before. A couple of them felt like Ben Gibbard would take over at any moment (though DCFC isn't a huge stretch from traditional Decemberists, and I seem to recall hearing that Chris Walla produced). "When The War Came" sounds a lot like Evanscence, the "Perfect Crime" sounds like "Butts Wigglin" by The Tragically Hip.

Edit: I actually found a bit more of the album. "Yankee Bayonet" is a great duet (apparently with Laura Viers). For me, this'll probably be like "Plans" - an album that didn't grab me with the teasers, but gets better with every listen. And of course it gets them back on stage, albeit at about twice what they used to charge (the big-label effect). I'll probably pick up the CD at the concert on October 17.

Last edited:

antiditz

Obviously, bdb, you dug a little deeper than I - once the tracks were yanked off the blogs due to copyright violation, I stopped looking, don't want to be caught stealing from boys I actually support... I'll be buying the disc anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter that much. Rambling aside, my point is I only heard four or five tracks, so I don't have as much of the full picture as you seem to.

The first track I heard was 'The Perfect Crime #2.' My first thought upon hearing that was - Soul Meets Body. Not that the song sounds the same at all, but it does have a more produced electronic feel quite unlike their other stuff. Hello Capitol - maybe this is to be the radio-friendly single. The song is a bit meh for my taste. As for 'When the War Came' the opening guitar riffs kind of brought to mind Alice in Chains (!?!) (think Man in the Box), but I'm with you on the Evanescence reference. 'Sons and Daughters' sounded more classic Decemberists to me, I kind of like that one. I really would have like to hear 'Yankee Bayonet' - heard good things about it - but alas it's no longer to be found.

On the whole, I think this could be an okay record. I'm not exactly chomping at the bit based on what I've heard so far; I can wait for Oct. 3 no problem, but major labol bigwigs notwithstanding, I'm confident Colin Meloy and co. will not disappoint. I wasn't thrilled with what I first heard off DCFC's Plans at first either, but it turned out to be one of the 'gooder' 2005 releases for me when I gave it a chance.

antiditz

Thanks for posting the link; I had checked there as well, but unfortunately the mp3s those links point to have also been removed. The BBL (read: Big Bad Label) seems to be monitoring the blogs pretty closely on this one.