New computer, syncing certain podcasts without deleting all others

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

kenny5277

My computer died and took my iTunes library file with it. (Incidentally, as an aside, how can I ensure that the library file is maintained on my external drive? I moved it there in the past but apparently at some point iTunes created a new one on the C drive, I guess when the external drive wasn't connected or something.).

So after a fresh install I had iTunes rebuild the library and it detected all my podcasts as well (I didn't know it could do that actually). So here's the question: some of the podcasts I have on my iPod have episodes that I haven't listened to yet and may not be able to get again. I don't want them deleted. If I choose to sync podcasts in iTunes and then check the 1 or 2 that I want, will it still delete all the others? It seems to, because the data meter on the bottom seems to clearly be showing that if I hit "apply" I'll lose a lot of data, even when I only have one podcast checked.

cjmnews

Staff member
You could check the Podcast to see if they are available I think it is hold CTRL then click the Triangle to open the podcast episodes. It could be SHIFT instead of CTRL, I don't have iTunes in front of me. Then download the episodes you want. This is the easiest solution.

If the iPod is not an IOS based, then you can copy the data off of it: Copying Content from your iPod to your Computer - The Definitive Guide | iLounge Article

I would create a new library (Hold SHIFT when starting iTunes) for the content copied from the iPod, which will allow your files to be renamed when iTunes adds them. Then you can find the Podcast files (right click, show in Windows Explorer) that were on your iPod, and import them into your regular iTunes Library (close new library, Hold SHIFT and start iTunes, choose regular library, drag from Windows Explorer and drop onto iTunes), then include these files in the sync.

kenny5277

Thanks for the reply. I see how your solution would be a work-around, but does that mean that it is indeed not possible to sync just one podcast without deleting all other episodes of all other podcasts currently on the iPod?

cjmnews

Staff member
Syncing happens in 1 direction from the PC to the iPod.

Since you rebuilt your library, the first sync will erase all content from your iPod and put new content from your library back on.

Unless you have all the podcasts that are currently on the iPod in your iTunes library, you will lose the ones that are currently on the iPod.

Now, if you had your original library, yes you could just add 1 podcast and retain the rest. With a new library, I don't see it as a possibility.