New Appe TV 4th Gen Home Sharing Issue

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

XRayLexx

Website
www.xraylexx.blogspot.com
Just got the new 4th gen Apple TV today and it's kinda cool but having issues with Home Sharing and Play Counts. With previous Apple TVs I've home shared my PCs iTunes with my Apple TV with little or no issues but I'm having issues with 4th Gen. I am playing my music shared via Home sharing but the Play Count in iTunes is not being updated. help!

cjmnews

Staff member
Have you checked your preferences?

Edit->Preferences, Sharing tab
At the bottom of the window check the box: Home sharing computers and devices update play counts
Click OK

You may need to close and re-launch iTunes (on both systems) to get it to use the new setting.

There are lots of rumors, that if you have cross-fade enabled (on either system), then play counts may not get updated. No actual proof of that though.

If this works, maybe you can reply to your own apple support discussion and share with the other person with the same issue.

cjmnews

Staff member
I think your next best option is to use Air Play from iTunes to your Apple TV.

You can download the Remote App to control iTunes from your smart phone. That will definitely update the play counts.

You can also air play from devices, and when they sync they update play counts too.

XRayLexx

Website
I can Airplay from a PC to my Apple TV?

I have downloaded the Remote app but these days it only seems to show iTunes bought tracks and not all my ripped music?

cjmnews

Staff member
Sure you can. I just spent the last hour reinitializing my nearly dead Boxee to prove that it can be done and that play counts update.

Apple has an article on Air Play and iTunes: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202809

With the Remote App, you need to connect to your shared iTunes library with your Apple ID. Then you have access to all of your music and playlists that are there.

Last edited:

XRayLexx

Website
Thanks. I've got this working this morning. Seems a good workaround for now.
Does Home Sharing need to be turned on on my iTunes and the device I'm using Remote on?

cjmnews

Staff member
Home sharing in iTunes needs to be on for the Remote app to work.

The device doesn't need to share.

XRayLexx

Website
Thanks. All working now but using the Remote app is a bit fiddly but it does the job for now.
Hopefully Apple will patch the 4th Gen Apple TV to update Play Counts on the host iTunes.

XRayLexx

Website
Ive been using the Air Play workaround for a week or two but it's so lossy I've gone back to my 3rd gen Apple TV for home sharing iTunes music. Hope Apple fix this soon.

cjmnews

Staff member
Be sure to log the bug so they know there is a problem.

cjmnews

Staff member
Did you log the bug? If not, they may not know about the problem.

XRayLexx

Website
I may try using AirPlay on my iTunes again to Apple TV 4.

When I tried it before it didnt' sound to my ear as good as Home Sharing but
maybe I am wrong.

Is there much difference in quality from sharing your iTunes via AirPlay to Apple TV and sharing from Home Sharing to Apple TV? I get mixed reports when looking on the internet.

cjmnews

Staff member
I would doubt it. But it could be possible.

I suppose if you had your old Apple TV hooked to your sound system it could tell you if there was a difference. Play the Shared Library, see what the audio equipment says the input is (2 CH, 5.1 PCM) then try with AirPlay and see if the input quality changes.