Never Impulse Buy

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

decafjava

Buyer's regret for an impulse purchase of an ATV 3 before Xmas. The main reason I bought it was to stream my iTunes library (music mainly) through my TV as I just got some multimedia speakers to replace my old and obsolete stereo.

So I set it up, easy as pie, and now can stream all my music and videos - and the smartplaylists update as I hoped they would. Have to get used to the menu and remote.

Biggest disappointment and my fault having been an iPhone user since 2011. Apple music does not work - on my ATV, neither does iTunes radio as I am located in Europe and need my AM subscription to access it.

Now I am regretting buying this, does the new ATV 4 allow Apple Music to play? I don't want or need to play games on my TV. I should perhaps not gotten the ATV or subscribed to Apple music. If there is another way to stream to my TV and use it's speakers rather than my computer I am all ears.

cjmnews

Staff member
Another user that picked up the Apple TV 4 has more problems: http://forums.ilounge.com/apple-tv/281455-new-appe-tv-4th-gen-home-sharing-issue.html

Apparently Home Sharing doesn't work with ATV4. You have to use Airplay from the PC, use the Remote App to control your PC from your phone to get it to work. Yes they filed a bug. Follow the link to get the link for the Remote App.

According to the Apple page comparing the two, yes Apple TV does support Apple Music. It does NOT support iTunes Radio though. Apple TV - Compare - Apple

If you want to access iTunes Radio or as iTunes 12 calls it, Internet Radio, I was going to suggest using a VPN that exits in the US to get access, but I see they are starting to charge for it now. http://www.buzzfeed.com/brendanklinkenberg/itunes-radio-is-no-longer-free#.bayDBRMmL so I don't know what your interest in it will be.

decafjava

Thanks for responding cjmnews. Reading your answer not sure if you understood that I go the 3rd generation ATV model. So no Apple Music nor Radio as I need a subscription in Switzerland to even get the free stuff. Although I am planning to get a Mac this year, I have a win 7 PC at the moment, I'm wondering if I should not have looked at another way to link my iTunes library to the more powerful speakers on my TV setup.

cjmnews

Staff member
I fully understood that you currently have an Apple TV 3. It does not support Apple Music at all.

I also posted a link showing that the free stuff is dead at the end of the week. So there is no point to trying to access it.

I also pointed out that the Apple TV 4 you asked about does support Apple Music. But has other issues with Home Sharing not working.

I have an iPod directly connected to my stereo. Using the USB connector for decent quality sound. I also have a laptop connected via HDMI to the stereo to watch videos and online content with. This seems to be the easiest way to do it. I suppose if you had digital audio out on your computer you could use that for the sound.

decafjava

Thanks again, sorry if I misunderstood - I guess I am annoyed I thought I was being clever use the better speakers on my TV to listen to music. I was looking for a wireless solution as my PC is in my bedroom and although I have nice speakers on my computer I wanted to stream it elsewhere in my flat - back to the drawing board I guess.