Network Connection Failure when downloading iTunes Plus

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

AngryCherub

I upgraded 72 songs (all from one album actually). The first one downloaded fine, and every subsequent one stops between 40k-500k with a "There was a problem downloading [song]. Network connection timed out."

Sure glad I paid to upgrade.

I'm having the same problem with one song I purchased at the new bit rate. The other songs were available at 99 cents so they downloaded just fine. I'll wait until tomorrow to see if it downloads since I have some shows that haven't finished yet. If that song doesn't download then I'll send an email to customer service.

kornchild2002

AngryCherub said:
I upgraded 72 songs (all from one album actually). The first one downloaded fine, and every subsequent one stops between 40k-500k with a "There was a problem downloading [song]. Network connection timed out."

Sure glad I paid to upgrade.
Please be aware that today is the first day Apple is putting these downloads out. The servers are probably getting too bombarded with people trying to download these 256kbps rips. Wait until later tonight or tomorrow to start your downloads again. I purchased a 256kbps album and it isn't downloading either, only two tracks started downloading but failed and the rest wouldn't even start to download.

This always happens to the iTunes Store. The same thing happened whenever Apple added videos to the store, it happened again whenever they added high resolution/high bitrate videos, and now it is happening when they added higher bitrate songs. Give it 24 hours and the majority of the traffic should clear up.

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
AngryCherub said:
It shouldn't matter what day it is if they are charging my credit card.
I'd bet they won't charge u until the "download completed normally" flag is set.

First day premier... it's to be expected.

kornchild2002

AngryCherub said:
It shouldn't matter what day it is if they are charging my credit card.
That is the same as going to Pirates 3 opening night, you pay for a ticket but you have to wait 1-2 hours to get a good seat then complaining about how long you have to wait. Don't read too much into this though.

This is nothing new, Apple has done this before with the iTunes Store. As I previously stated, the iTunes Store went through the same high traffic when it first opened up, when it first added videos, when it added high resolution/bitrate videos, and when it added movies. Apple doesn't charge your credit card until the downloads go completely through. You don't pay for a product that you don't have.

toothpaste

Offensive? Profanity? I believe that word is in the dictionary. number 4 slang.

Care to explain why? According to the english/american language that is used in everyday speech.

Edit: Post edited to remove offensive comments and profanity.

Last edited:

ambipod

Frankly, those arguing bandwidth limitations as a justification for a download not going through, it is a crock of [edit]. The iTunes plus launch has been a disaster. Half of my upgradeable songs have not downloaded. iTunes songs purchased in 2004 that should be eligible for the upgrade are not being flagged properly. For ex., I bought the Rolling Stones "Black and Blue" in 2004. It was not flagged for upgrade so I went to download it again, thinking iTunes would see it as being purchased (it is definitely in my purchase history file) and instead of being charged $3.00 I was charged $9.99. To make matters worst, it is still not downloading. I have sent a number of emails to Apple with no response (OK they say to wait 24 hrs). No telephone customer support which means I will be playing email tag forever. If I am lucky this one will be resolved without me having to get my credit card company involved. :shake: :mad:

If Apple was so ill-prepared for this launch, they should have waited until they had additional bandwidth available. This is a very shoddy launch for iTunes plus, it goes against everything that Apple and iTunes are supposed to stand for - a friendly, easy end user experience. This must be what it feels like to buy a Creative Zen and try to sync songs from Rhapsody, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

AngryCherub

I agree with ambipod. To everyone saying inoperable downloads should be expected on the first day, I don't agree. In fact, I say quite the opposite: YOU should expect more. It is kind of a sad comment on Apple when you expect that it will not work on the first day.

I am not so concerned or impatient about getting my music. I am generally a fan of Apple products and am hugely supportive of their push to get DRM-free music. But this launch is a total and indefensible catastrophe. It is the second day now and I too have no response from customer service and 3 of my 72 songs. That is not acceptable.

And yes, my card has already been charged.

AngryCherub

Huh? Why is it my responsibility to consider bandwidth and load-balancing?

As far as patience is concerned, I would have been more than happy to wait another two weeks for the store to launch in working order. While it remains broken, the least they could do is post a notice to that effect and stop taking people's money until it is sorted out. That is what a company with good customer service does--something you apparently do not take into consideration.

toothpaste said:
Bandwidth and load balancing for the amount of people that connect to the itunes servers is something apparently you didn't take into consideration.

You will get your music, patience.[/b]

toothpaste

AngryCherub said:
Huh? Why is it my responsibility to consider bandwidth and load-balancing?

As far as patience is concerned, I would have been more than happy to wait another two weeks for the store to launch in working order. While it remains broken, the least they could do is post a notice to that effect and stop taking people's money until it is sorted out. That is what a company with good customer service does--something you apparently do not take into consideration.
Read my post again. I didn't say anything about responsibility. Considering that you are not the only person that needs :rolleyes: their download now, your complaint is juvenile. Coming here crying about it juvenile.

Second, Apple has good customer service? Since when? Hahahaha. I took everything into consideration. Now, if you need for me to explain to you about bandwidth and load balancing when you have x amount of users hammering the itunes store trying to download massive amount of music, I will gladly explain to you.

ambipod

toothpaste said:
Read my post again. I didn't say anything about responsibility. Considering that you are not the only person that needs :rolleyes: their download now, your complaint is juvenile. Coming here crying about it juvenile.

Second, Apple has good customer service? Since when? Hahahaha. I took everything into consideration. Now, if you need for me to explain to you about bandwidth and load balancing when you have x amount of users hammering the itunes store trying to download massive amount of music, I will gladly explain to you.
Toothpaste - your explanation makes sense. But there's is no need to justify apple. They are joining the S&P 100 at the close of trading today. Their entire business model is based on providing a value-added end user experience - that's why the iPod has 70% of the market share - it is easy to use, integrates flawlessly with iTunes, it sync's, it WORKS. iTunes Plus doesn't work!

Based on my first, BS response from Apple Customer service this is going to be a long and painful process. They only suggested the obvious and essentially denied any responsibility. At least I have a person to email to...

AngryCherub - I'm there with you bro, thx for the support!

AngryCherub

Toothpaste, it is not juvenile to expect a company to deliver what they promise when you pay for it. I am not freaking out. I am just expressing my disappointment in Apple specifically because they stake their whole reputation on a good user experience and generally to see if anyone was having the same problem as I. I am also well aware of how failure to plan for high traffic and failure to properly load balance effect a web application like the iTunes store can bring it down; but knowing what the problem is does not make it any less frustrating. And considering that many people are probably trying out iTunes for the first time to support this DRM-free effort, it is not a good first impression.

On a technical note, I have observed what others seem to corroborate: the problem only happens on certain albums. I just bought another album, LCD Soundsystem's Introns, and it downloaded instantaneously. The jazz album I have been trying to get since yesterday though is still stuck. It would seem that part of their catalog is simply not available for whatever reason.

ambipod

Interesting AngryCherub - maybe it's the Stones catalogue which has the problems, not the overall iTunes Plus service. We'll see.

kornchild2002

I see your guys' points, I really do. A company launches a new service and you expect to be able to use that new service when they launch. I still have about 10 songs that just won't download. I was able to download about 800kb of each file before I get a connection timeout. However, looking at how the iTunes Store has operated in the past, one shouldn't expect anything more.

Every time Apple adds something to the iTunes Store, it gets pummeled by millions of people. Apple may have quick servers but their iTunes Plus servers just can't handle the load of all these people. Apple has shipped over 100 million iPod and their statistics show that the average person downloads about 27 songs for their iPod. That means that there is at least 20 million people out there who use the iTunes Store. That is a lot of people who keep hounding the store to get their content.

Apple has done this in the past and they will continue to do it in the future. I certainly don't expect Apple to spend millions to upgrade their servers just to accommodate a flood of people for a couple of days when they add something new to the iTunes Store. Granted, people want (not need) their new content now, right when the store opens.

chippe01

Well, I had to upgrade 140 songs, and started it last night. After about an hour all but 32 songs downloaded. Some started, others would not download a single byte. Between last night and this morning, I was geting bits and pieces, and managed to finish a few more files. Just a few minutes ago I tried again, and managed to bring the list down to 10 songs remaining.

However, those 10 will not budge! All but 1 are Jazz tracks. So I just keep starting and stopping and hoping.

This really is NOT a good experience. Yes, servers are busy, but the whole point of the iTunes store is to get the tracks I want WHEN I want them. I could have gone into the city to my favorite CD store and gotten all of these tracks a heck of a lot quicker. I'm sure Apple knew they would not be able to handle the load, o they should have staggered the offers over several days.

I mean, the upgrade price was fine, 34.00 for 140 upgrades, but how long must I wait?

kornchild2002

It has been about 24 hours and my 11 tracks still will not download. It is starting to get annoying but I am willing to wait especially since the album I purchased costs much less on the iTunes Store than at Best Buy.

I am going to give the iTunes Store another full 24 hours. If the downloads don't go through, then I will e-mail Apple as 48 hours should be more than enough time for Apple to upgrade their servers and get the iTunes Plus tracks out the door.

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
Anybody frequent the Apple site? I wonder what their official response is when confronted with this on-going prob.

I really don't understand. Massive data service is a known technology/process, they dunn even have to BUY extra hardware/bandwidth, they could just rent it. Really puzzled.

ambipod

bobb-mini said:
Anybody frequent the Apple site? I wonder what their official response is when confronted with this on-going prob.

I really don't understand. Massive data service is a known technology/process, they dunn even have to BUY extra hardware/bandwidth, they could just rent it. Really puzzled.
I frequent Apple's discussion boards. More of the same complaints. Many, many more. 504 network connection error messages, -3253, -3259. I've emailed Apple 4x's and gotten back 2 "form letter" responses. They are so overwhelmed with this issue they aren't even bothering to read the customer support emails. The customer support for iTunes Plus is abysmal, abhorrent, non-existent.

Engadget has picked up on this issue. Others will follow soon.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/31/itunes-plus-drm-free-not-free-of-annoying-glitches/

Uncle Stevie can only pull the wool over the public's eyes for so long. He owes us an apology, plus free credits. For me, I am owed at least $8.00 for an eligible upgrade that I was charged for at full album price of $9.99. This won't go on much longer, when CNET, Gizmodo, AP and then Reuters pick up on the story.

I have to imagine that there is a significant infrastructure problem with either Apple's servers, EMI's servers and/or iTunes 7.2. Engadget suggests that iTunes 7.2.1 will be on it's way shortly. It's extremely disappointing to see Apple treat it's beloved customers this way. Gee, I feel like PC guy Uncle Stevie. :mad:

Also, where is the coverage from ilounge.com????? Not surprisingly, nowhere to be found.:confused: