Nested Playlists Not Working Correcting

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Germansuplex

Nested Playlists Not Working Correctly

Ok, lots of playlists threads, but none that quite address my problem.

As of iTunes 9, I haven't fiddled around with the nested playlists too much, but after the last update, I wanted to create a playlist of Prince material. It's not working like I thought and no combination of efforts seems to be working.

I have lots of "b*stard" mixes (unofficial, amateur mixes and DJ mixes) and partial album tracks of Prince stuff, and I wanted a list that doesn't include those. Those mixes are sorted out by my grouping fields. I use "Full Albums" and "Singles" for materials I own or have purchased. I also wanted to get rid of duplicate tracks, which I have a playlist called "Duplicates" I throw all extra tracks into.

My playlist looks like this:

Match All:

Playlist is not Duplicates
---------------
Match any:

Grouping is Full Albums
Grouping is Singles
---------------
Match Any:

Artist is Prince
Artist is Prince & The Revolution
Artist is Prince & The New Power Generation

Whenever I do this list, I get a list of all the artists in my library. I've tried resorting the order and such, it doesn't work. If I take the number of artists down to one (i.e. only have Artist Is Prince), the playlist works. When I add other artists, the playlist goes to crap.

Am I doing something wrong or are the playlists simply not working? I'm running the latest version on XP Media Center Edition Service Pack 3, if it matters.

Last edited:

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
Rather than spelling out various incarnations of Prince, just use the "Contains" criteria along with Prince. This will simplify it, and since it is common to everything you want you can move it up to the top section of the definition:

Match All:

Artist Contains Prince
Playlist is not Duplicates
---------------
Match any:

Grouping is Full Albums
Grouping is Singles

ps If you have other artists that contain "Prince" that you don't want in the playlist, then follow "Artist Contains Prince" with "Artist Is Not ..."

Last edited:

Germansuplex

Thanks. That will work for Prince.

Although that is just one example, but there are other artists I would like to do this with where the fix would not be so easy, such as Michael Jackson/The Jacksons/Jackson 5 (a solo artist and two different band names) and Raphael Saadiq/Tony! Toni! Toné!, among others.

I guess I'm trying to find out if this is a bug or if I'm merely doing something wrong, which I don't think I am.