• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

Nero 7 Updated TODAY!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

chippe01

There's an update to Nero 7, and according to the release notes, Nero Recode now has iPod profiles! :D

I'm downloading now, but will report upon testing.

chippe01

OK, so I did a little test...

I used a ripped VOB of a home video that I made on DVD from video tape. File was 720 x 480 progressive 6Mbps Dolby Digital 2CH, @ 6 minutes 35 seconds.

As for the end results, there was not much difference in quality when viewing the files on the iPod video, in fact, it was hard to see any difference at all.

The new iPod Profiles in Nero Recode are:
iPod (Mpeg4)
iPod AVC (H.264)
The good thing is they set the video size to 320 x 240, instead of having to change it for every video you are recoding.

I encoded the same file five times to see the encoding times, end quality, and file size. I used the highest quality for the h.264 (AVC) encoder and the EXTRA quality setting for the Mpeg4 encoder.

iPod AVC (Max is 768Kbps) @ 768K - 2 PASS:
Time to encode: 15 min 6 sec
File Size: 38.5MB (for 6min 35sec video)

iPod AVC @ 768K 1 PASS:
Time to encode: 8 min 34 sec
File Size: 38.5MB

iPod @ 880.3K - 2 PASS:
Time to encode: 3 min 8 sec
File Size: 44.4 MB

iPod @ 880.3K - 1 PASS:
Time to encode: 2 min 1 sec
File Size: 45MB

iPod @ 2.5Mbps - 1 PASS:
Time to encode: 2 min 12 sec
File Size 78MB

Again.. not much difference in picture qulity on the iPod screen, but quite a difference in encoding times, and some difference in file size (except @ 2.5Mbps).

I was using the portable profile, MPEG4 at about 850Kbps, EXTRA Quality 320 x 240 when porting all my TV shows from DVD to iPod, and that quality is pretty good, so for me, the extra encoding time isn't worth it.

I'll just use the regular iPod profile at 850Kbps or so and EXTRA quality, and save lots of encoding time. All of the files I've encoded with Nero Recode have played without any problems on the iPod, including all 5 test files..

kornchild2002

Thanks for the info, it is nice to see that Nero has finally added a iPod profile. I love Nero except that the only previous profile that would work would be regular mpeg-4 portable. Additionally, the audio would be encoded at a maximum of 112 kbps VBR at 33 KHz which just killed my ears. The NEro AVC (h264) encoder would not work with the iPod.

Now Nero needs to update their download server as the download isn't going through. Man, I need this new version of Nero stat so I can start encoding some of my home made VOB files to my iPod. I tried using Videoria but that requires the internet to install and I don't have the internet at home.

Come on Nero, don't fail me now.

chippe01

kornchild2002 said:
Additionally, the audio would be encoded at a maximum of 112 kbps VBR at 33 KHz which just killed my ears.
They upped the audio to 160k and 48Hz, I forgot to mention that.

rajeshmk

anybody know if the recode for Nero 6 has been updated? Nero 7 is bloatware.

kornchild2002

The recode to older versions of Nero has not been updated, they haven't even put the newer Nero AAC encoder in older Nero 6's yet. It might take them some time to update Nero 6 with Nero 7's newer mpeg-4 AAC audio and mepg-4/mpeg-4 AVC video encoders.

I did do a lot of encoding last night. I found that these settings were best for my use:
Music Videos - iPod AVC - 768kbps 2-pass with 128kbps 44.1Hz audio
Concerts - iPod - 1Mbps 1-pass with 128kbps 44.1Hz audio
Movies - ???

I will be testing the best movie solution tonight. I was a little dissapointed with the iPod AVC setting when it came to encoding concert DVD's. There was a lot of pixelation when it came to the crowds and lighting differentials. The crowds would be jumping up and down and it just looked like a see of peach pixels.

I found the iPod AVC 768kbps 2 pass setting to be just fine for music videos though. The videos looked slightly sharper than regular mpeg-4 video at the 750 kbps bitrate.

I did run into a problem though. I don't know if others will have the same problem or not. I had to pause Nero Recode a couple of times. This pause would cause a pause in the video itself when playing back on the iPod. The iPod would freeze for 20 seconds right where I paused Nero recode then the video would kick back up. I re-encoded the video and it ran perfectly fine after that.

I have to hand it to Nero. It actually didn't take me that long to encode a 4 minute music video at the iPod AVC setting 768kbps 2 pass setting. It took about 5 minutes total on my system. I encoded a 1 hour concert at the iPod 1Mbps 1 pass setting and my computer finished with that in 1 minutes.

Tonight, I see what the AVC encoder can do with movies vs the regular mpeg-4 video encoder. Good job Nero in recognizing a incompatibility problem with their previous version of Nero 7 and fixing it with an update.

Scarpad

chippe01 said:
OK, so I did a little test...

I used a ripped VOB of a home video that I made on DVD from video tape. File was 720 x 480 progressive 6Mbps Dolby Digital 2CH, @ 6 minutes 35 seconds.

As for the end results, there was not much difference in quality when viewing the files on the iPod video, in fact, it was hard to see any difference at all.

The new iPod Profiles in Nero Recode are:
iPod (Mpeg4)
iPod AVC (H.264)
The good thing is they set the video size to 320 x 240, instead of having to change it for every video you are recoding.

I encoded the same file five times to see the encoding times, end quality, and file size. I used the highest quality for the h.264 (AVC) encoder and the EXTRA quality setting for the Mpeg4 encoder.

iPod AVC (Max is 768Kbps) @ 768K - 2 PASS:
Time to encode: 15 min 6 sec
File Size: 38.5MB (for 6min 35sec video)

iPod AVC @ 768K 1 PASS:
Time to encode: 8 min 34 sec
File Size: 38.5MB

iPod @ 880.3K - 2 PASS:
Time to encode: 3 min 8 sec
File Size: 44.4 MB

iPod @ 880.3K - 1 PASS:
Time to encode: 2 min 1 sec
File Size: 45MB

iPod @ 2.5Mbps - 1 PASS:
Time to encode: 2 min 12 sec
File Size 78MB

Again.. not much difference in picture qulity on the iPod screen, but quite a difference in encoding times, and some difference in file size (except @ 2.5Mbps).

I was using the portable profile, MPEG4 at about 850Kbps, EXTRA Quality 320 x 240 when porting all my TV shows from DVD to iPod, and that quality is pretty good, so for me, the extra encoding time isn't worth it.

I'll just use the regular iPod profile at 850Kbps or so and EXTRA quality, and save lots of encoding time. All of the files I've encoded with Nero Recode have played without any problems on the iPod, including all 5 test files..

I've been using Nero 6 all along to do regular MPeg 4 files in QT Compatibility mode and it does a good job. I'm able to use the files on the Axim and Ipod. The only reason to upgrade would be the New ability to do AVC Ipod files. I'm torn on this, while the file sizes are smaller you can do higher resolutions than 320x240 with Mpeg 4 and the files still look great on the Ipod and look good on a tv.

Will Nero 7 allow you to edit the resolution on AVC mode. You can do up to 400x192 and 368x208 on Widescreen vids and the ipod will run them.

kornchild2002

Yes, you can edit the resolution. However, Nero still needs to have some work done on their iPod profiles. You can edit the resolution all you want but Nero will still encode the video in square pixel mode so that you will ALWAYS see black bars on the top and bottom if it is a widescreen video. So, if you decrease the height of the video, it will just become more squished.

AVC is really nice for music videos but I find that standard mpeg-4 at higher bitrates is better for concerts.

rajeshmk

I tired the IPOD AVC profile and I cant hear any sound. Does anybody else have this problem?

Manchester

Website
manchesterr.co.uk
Downloaded the latest version last night but have yet to try it out and convert some videos for my iPod. Just wondered if you still have to changet the setting and tick the box for "QT Compatibility mode"?

kornchild2002

rajeshmk, did you change the audio settings? By default Nero picks the 64kbps VBR bitrate for the audio. You can try increasing the bitrate. Also make sure that you have selected a audio track. A VOB (ripped DVD) file can contain two or more different audio tracks (Dolby 2.0, Dolby 5.1, Dolby 5.1 spanish, etc.). Just make sure that you pick a audio track that is compatible with Nero. I dont' think that Nero can handle DTS, this is OK as a lot of the other DVD ripping programs can't handle it either.

Manchester, no. You don't have to chang ethe QuickTime compatibility settings as it automatically does it. I still think that Nero needs to work on this as the iPod can handle larger resolutions than 320x240 for mpeg-4 video and the iPod can handle widescreen mpeg-4 AVC video. Nero just locked it into the program that you will always see black bars above and below your video. This is just really annoying

I find that the regular Nero mepg-4 video encoder (with the standard profile) works fine on the iPod and looks great on the TV. I encoded a 16 minute animated video last night at a higher resolution (it had a width in the 600's) and the file was only 130MB in size. I am still using the iPod AVC setting for music videos though. For some reason, music videos are benefited by the Nero AVC encoder. I hooked my iPod up to a 32" LCD TV and couldn't see a difference between a AVC video and a regular mpeg-4 video (which was encoded at a higher resolution and higher bitrate).