Need some advice on a project iPod

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Bluerobin

I recently purchased a broken iPod off ebay as a project for my daughters boyfriend. It was supposedly a 30 gig 5th generation iPod. Well, upon receipt, I plugged it into the wall charger to see the condition, the battery is shot, which I completely expected. It needs a new screen and a new case/clickwheel (to make it look new) but what I didn't expect was that after taking it into diagnostic to see what was up with it and the condition of the hard drive. I found that the hard drive in it is a 96 gig and the supposed 30 gig iPod is actually a 60 gig model crammed into a 30 gig case.

So my question is, if after the battery and screen replacement, should I put a 60 gig case and hard drive on it or IF the 96 gig works after the repair, should I leave that in it. During the diagnostics it was having problems with model number and the smart drive didn't work at all.

I only paid 25 bucks for it total so it isn't a complete loss, just trying to figure out which direction to go with it.

ScoobZ

Seems you have a Frankenstein on your hands. I think the 30 and 60 cases are the same. The battery cost isn't too bad. I'm not sure of the screen costs. You may have HD and/or logic board issues. Here's one place you can check for parts prices and how-to info.

http://www.ifixit.com/iPod-Parts/iPod-Video

You should carefully consider the cost of this project, both financially and time, and weigh it against the cost of a factory refurbished iPod from Apple. A huge benefit to the refurbished route is you get an essentially brand new iPod with a full 1 year warranty at a reduced cost.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipod/ipod_classic

Bluerobin

I have already looked into the cost of the project. I can get all the parts pretty reasonably. Its just time, and I will get it done, but not real fast. The 60 gig has the fat case like the 80 gig.

I think the logic board is ok but not positive till I get a battery for it. Until I can get it to power without being plugged into the wall, it's kinda hard to tell for sure.

This is no longer a project for my daughters boyfriend but more of a challenge for me now to make it work dependable. It would be an extra and would just be for fun at this point.

ScoobZ

This is no longer a project for my daughters boyfriend but more of a challenge for me now to make it work dependable. It would be an extra and would just be for fun at this point.
I understand that completely. I have an iPod Mini project at home that I refuse to let beat me. lol The next thing I need for it is a logic board and then I think I've got it licked.