• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Need Immediate Help

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

kylo4

I have a Belkin Wireless router hooked up via ethernet cable to the PC downstairs and transferring wireless to Airport on the Mac. Well it came to my attention today after I installed XP on the Macbook and it connected to the router that another router was there and secured, a Linksys, probably my neighbours who we do not like. Ours is somehow unsecured even though when I installed it I had put a network password in place.

So I have two questions: How can I immediately make it secure and with a password because I can find nothing in network settings, and two, since banking has been done, what risk has already been put in place?

melsmusic

kylo4 said:
So I have two questions: How can I immediately make it secure and with a password because I can find nothing in network settings, and two, since banking has been done, what risk has already been put in place?
Network settings in XP, or via the routers settings? You should have an IP to go to your routers configuration, and somewhere there will be a place for the WEP/WPA password. I don't know Belkin, never used one, but google your model for a pdf instruction manual if you still can't find it. I regularly log into mine to see who's connected, just an extra once in a while security measure, so you should have this type of thing on yours too.

Unless your neighbours are pretty good at hacking encrypted passwords, I'd say your banking details are safe. Although, I'd stay off internet banking until you get a password in place.

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
I don't have Belkin, but while yer waiting, the manual is your friend.

Banking, what's done is done. Monitor balance the next coupla of weeks for a sudden large withdrawal...

KIDDING!

bdb

On the B side of life
Websites for major banks usually have pretty good security in place, and the pages will very likely have more encryption than you'd have on your wireless. I wouldn't worry.

Check your manual; some routers require a reboot after major setting changes (like passwords).

JMG

asdf
You put a network password or a password to access settings on the router? I have a feeling it's the former and that's 2 separate things. There should be a setting to set up a WPA/WPA2 security or at least filter by MAC addresses. If you have no idea what I'm talking about bust out the manual.

kylo4

I added a password through the Macbook and its not working. Something more troublesome has become apparent. Right now I detect 6 other routers. I went to the shared folder and saw that I could see someone else's printer, I then clicked on my name and EVERY text document, iTunes song, application was available. This is very horrific ad scary since we are in fight with the neighbors and this is not good. I want to throw this router out the window. This needs to be fixed right away.

JMG

asdf
kylo4 said:
I added a password through the Macbook and its not working. Something more troublesome has become apparent. Right now I detect 6 other routers. I went to the shared folder and saw that I could see someone else's printer, I then clicked on my name and EVERY text document, iTunes song, application was available. This is very horrific ad scary since we are in fight with the neighbors and this is not good. I want to throw this router out the window. This needs to be fixed right away.

again.. did you add a password to the router or the network? That's two different things. When you access the router it will ask for a username and pass. This is for the router only. Setting this will NOT secure your network. What do you mean "it's not working"? Be more specific... also you can just remove items from your shared folder, or remove what your shared folder points to. I think you have a deep misunderstanding of what is going on here. Read your belkin manual. Look up networking and shared folders. Look up WEP/WPA. Also look up MAC address filtering. This allows you to specify the MAC addresses of the computers who can exclusively access your network.

kylo4

JMG said:
again.. did you add a password to the router or the network? That's two different things. When you access the router it will ask for a username and pass. This is for the router only. Setting this will NOT secure your network. What do you mean "it's not working"? Be more specific... also you can just remove items from your shared folder, or remove what your shared folder points to. I think you have a deep misunderstanding of what is going on here. Read your belkin manual. Look up networking and shared folders. Look up WEP/WPA. Also look up MAC address filtering. This allows you to specify the MAC addresses of the computers who can exclusively access your network.
This is kind of sad because I'm a huge computer guy, and yet, well routers are beyond me. So are you saying that even if it is in the sharedfolder, with them being on a different network/computer they can't access my files? I accessed family pictures from the other computer in the basement, but that's because we're on the same network. Are you able to assure me my private stuff wasn't read?

What I did was I went to Networking preferences, I clicked advanced, I clicked the pencil beside the minus sign, and then made a password for the network or something. I'm not sure. On the original computer it was installed on I couldn't find the option to put the password on there.

iknowyourider

Let me offer the dumbest temp solution. Unplug the router and plug your computer directly into the modem until you get a geek to fix / secure it.

melsmusic

Turn off sharing on all your PCs until you have it sorted out.

You need to read your user manual for your router to secure it. Do as iknowyourider says, and either turn it off, or at the very least turn it off when not in use.

You need to get to your router settings, like a html page, it's not settings in your OS (Mac or XP) .. it's direct to your router that you need to set the password up.

And no-one can guarantee what someone else has seen if your router settings are compromised and you have sharing on. Is there anyone else in the house that can help you get this sorted?

JMG

asdf
kylo4 said:
This is kind of sad because I'm a huge computer guy, and yet, well routers are beyond me. So are you saying that even if it is in the sharedfolder, with them being on a different network/computer they can't access my files? I accessed family pictures from the other computer in the basement, but that's because we're on the same network.
correct. You need access to the network to look at your shared folder.

kylo4 said:
Are you able to assure me my private stuff wasn't read?
no. Did they get into your network?

kylo4 said:
What I did was I went to Networking preferences, I clicked advanced, I clicked the pencil beside the minus sign, and then made a password for the network or something. I'm not sure. On the original computer it was installed on I couldn't find the option to put the password on there.
How did you access the network preferences? Through an html browser or your system prefs on the computer? Routers are accessed through the browser (firefox, safaci, ie). What type of security encryption did you choose?

kylo4

Would they be on the same network if they clicked my router name (belking) and then used my router to surf the net? To read my shared documents they'd have to have a Mac right since they are in pages, and two know my user account password or no?

I did it in system preferences.

I actually am a huge computer geek who can even open them up and fix certain parts, but for some reason out of all computing, routers are beyond me.

JMG

asdf
kylo4 said:
Would they be on the same network if they clicked my router name (belking) and then used my router to surf the net? To read my shared documents they'd have to have a Mac right since they are in pages, and two know my user account password or no?
I don't know much about pages.. but if they clicked your router and are able to connect to the internet, then they can surely connect to your workgroup and connect to your computer.

kylo4 said:
I did it in system preferences.
again... YOU CAN'T SET UP WIRELESS NETWORK SECURITY IN SYSTEM PREFERENCES!!!! It has to be done on your router. Did you access your router through the browser and set up a WEP/WPA password???!?!?!?

If not then you are going in circles...
Consult your manual and access your router through safari or firefox and set up your security encryption.

Last edited:

iknowyourider

I have a linksys and it scared the heck out of me at first. After I understood a little better, I got my simple little manual out. I used my browser to access the specified ip address or whatever kind of address that is. The browser opens the user interface for the router. there I was able to setup a password and it was simple. Scary yea but simple.

kylo4

In system preferences under sharing, not one single thing is checked off there, yet on the workgroup I could see folders and such. Bizarre.

How would I be able to detect others using my router btw?

I'm going to bust out the manual right now.

melsmusic

kylo4 said:
In system preferences under sharing, not one single thing is checked off there, yet on the workgroup I could see folders and such. Bizarre.

How would I be able to detect others using my router btw?

I'm going to bust out the manual right now.
Are you talking about sharing on a Mac or PC?

Once you get the ip address and open up your routers interface on a html (browser) page, you should have the ability to see everyone who's on. All routers have different features, and I don't know yours. You really need to find the ip address for this router, access it via a user name & password (hopefully default which you can find out from the manufacturer) then start to get to work on this.

The manual should have all this information to get you this far, then you will probably see how easy it all is from there.

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
To put it into simple terms, somewhere in your manual they should give you an IP address.

It's going to be something like http://129.12.123.12 or whatever the IP address may be.

You input this IP address in your web browser that then gives you access to all configuration of the router. Make your changes, including setting up your wireless security. Click all the done stuff, and then reboot your router. Then you should finally have a secured wireless router.