Need help - iPod will not sync

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

d200

I am having trouble with my latest iPod that I have had for a few months. I wanted to change the music on my iPod (160gb) so made a new list and attempted the sync the songs. All went well for a while then it encountered a problem (I think the reference was -50 but not sure). So I thought I would try again. This time it would not sync because it did not have enough room. When I looked it now said I have over 60gb recognized as other. I could not locate what this was so decided to do a full format on my iPod. Took ages but said all was OK. I then tried again (a number of times) and iTunes now says that the iPod is corrupt. It asks me to restore to factory settings. However when I click on that option it comes up withe message "the iPod could not be restored because the firmware file could not be found"

I use my iPod all the time but don't know what to do next. Any suggestions would be most appreciated

cjmnews

Staff member
Lots of things here.

1. Restoring the iPod with the "firmware file could not be found"
This is caused by a corrupt firmware file on your system and it can't be used to restore.
You should be able to get around this with the steps:
a. Close iTunes
b. Open Windows Explorer, in the URL bar at the top you can enter %appdata%\Apple Computer\iTunes or navigate to C:\Users\<your_id>\AppData\Apple Computer\iTunes. (Accessing this hidden folder tips) https://www.pcworld.com/article/2690709/whats-in-the-hidden-windows-appdata-folder-and-how-to-find-it-if-you-need-it.html
c. Rename or delete the folder iPod Software Updates
d. Open iTunes, and restore again.

2. Not enough room
This is probably due to the need to restore. The previous sync did not happen to work in a way that the files are manageable through the sync process. The restore should resolve.

3. -50 error
This seems to be a generic file error in the sync process.
We have seen several issues around this from song files being missing, corrupted and blocked due to permission, latency or 3rd party application.
Let's see if the restore resolves your problems before we start going down this path.

d200

Thank you so much for taking the time out to reply in such a thorough manner.

I tried your suggestion in point one and it worked. After deleting the software updates iTunes recognized the iPod. Then the iPod synced and all of my songs transferred with no error messages.

I am so grateful for your help.