Nano Scratching? WAX IT!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

JRoDDz

I've read several threads where people have used car wax on thier Nano's and it takes out the swirl marks.

This makes sense to me. I have a brand new Black nano it doesn't have any scratches yet, but I think I'm going to put some Meguiars Gold Class Clear Coat Car Wax on it later tonight.

A good quality carnuba car wax would protect the surface of the ipod, as it's shiny just like the clear coat of a new black car.

What do you think? :D

d2mini

You need a plastic polish. Wax is meant to protect PAINT. There is no paint on the ipod, it's clear plastic. There is plastic polish available and your local auto parts store that is normally used to polish headlights and such. That might be better. But wax won't do much but maybe fill in your scratches and make them very temporarily less noticeable. If anything, a car polish would work better than wax but again, that's meant for paint.

JRoDDz

d2mini said:
You need a plastic polish. Wax is meant to protect PAINT. There is no paint on the ipod, it's clear plastic. There is plastic polish available and your local auto parts store that is normally used to polish headlights and such. That might be better. But wax won't do much but maybe fill in your scratches and make them very temporarily less noticeable. If anything, a car polish would work better than wax but again, that's meant for paint.
Come to think of it, Meguiars has a product to polish plastics. I might try that.

aron

I used turtle shell wax to wax my white nano, scratches wont' come out. Some were barely noticeable in plain view, some were only visible in bright light. I waxed it twice, and the ones that were noticeable were gone, but hairline scratches were still visible under harsh light. It noticeably looks better under normal conditions, but IMO, if you really look for it, all the scratches are still there. Perhaps my waxing skills just suck :)

JRoDDz

aron said:
I used turtle shell wax to wax my white nano, scratches wont' come out. Some were barely noticeable in plain view, some were only visible in bright light. I waxed it twice, and the ones that were noticeable were gone, but hairline scratches were still visible under harsh light. It noticeably looks better under normal conditions, but IMO, if you really look for it, all the scratches are still there. Perhaps my waxing skills just suck :)
Did you use an orbital sander or did you do it by hand?

You first have to buff out the scratches with some rubbing compound, then you apply the wax, then you hit it up with some polish. :eek: :rolleyes:

LOL. At least your iPod has that freshly waxed new car smell!

ou8thisSN

any of you try wrapping the nano in saran wrap?

there's nothign really wrong with the factory plastic protector except the airbubbles but if you could take those out, then your nano should be protected forever.