nano 2G - won't turn on, won't charge, won't reset, isn't recognized by computer

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

nancyburns

just this morning...it seems so long ago now...I was listening to my ipod nano. I was forwarding past a couple songs and it froze on the "apple" screen you get when turning the nano on.

I headed home and plugged my little friend into the computer and opened itunes. not only does itunes fail to recognize the ipod, so does the computer...AND my screen is completely blank - nothing - not "do not disconnect", not an indication of charging - nada.

so I took another ipod charger that goes directly into the outlet. nothing. no indication that the ipod is connected to a power source.

after doing research it became clear I should "reset" the ipod and go through the "5Rs" - I've done this a zillion times to no avail...and yes I did push the center and menu button simultaneously and I did hold them down for 15 seconds.

since then I have updated itunes, I downloaded windows updates and tried to restore. nothing. I mean NOTHING. the ipod doesn't do anything at all - like its dead even though I know it's fully charged.

whiskthecat

Same Here

I have the same problem as you. Have you tried flipping hold on and then off before you try the menu+select reset? I am thinking about opening up mine to disconnect the battery to see if that will help.

nancyburns

nothing good to report

yeah - I did the "hold" toggle thing - no help - I just tried disconecting my ipod service in "computer management" in my computer and restarting it which didn't do anything.

don't know anything about this battery thing though - please let me know if it proves at all helpful and how you did it.

whiskthecat

Fixed

Okay mine is now working again. What I did was leave it off the charger for about a day or two. I guess the battery completely drained in this time. Then I plugged it into the computer and now it works.

nancyburns

but mine isn't fixed! any help for me? - I can't drain my battery because it won't turn on to drain - I've had it off a power source for a day and tried to make it work again today - no help -

do I just need to accept defeat and throw this thing out? - I tried plugging it into another friend's computer yesterday and his computer didn't recognize it either. - this is a realy bummer.

nkb

jasgstock

I have the same problem

I have what is apparently the same problem (Nano 2G). The iPod will only turn on briefly and show the "frowning iPod" icon with the words "www dot apple dot com slash support" (replace dots and slashes with real thing - stupid iLoung), then shut off. This happens even when I do a reset. It doesn't charge either on USB connection or on the wall plug.

iTunes apparently recognizes that *some* iPOD nano is plugged in - because when I do so it shows an "iTunes cannot recognize this iPod at this time" error, and when I click on "more information" it brings up the web page "iPod nano (2nd generation) shows iPod USB cable icon on display" page:

support dot apple dot com slash kb slash TS1376?viewlocale=en_US

Though that page isn't quite right - that's not the icon I see, instead I see the "frowning iPod" icon. Also none of the suggestions from that page work - for one thing it says to make sure the iPod is fully charge, but I can't because it won't charge due to this problem.

If anyone can provide any help for us - it is appreciated.

Otherwise - can anyone suggest a competitor's MP3 player that's better quality? FWIW - I'm a bit disenchanted with the iPods - they're nifty looking but that's about it - the software is very poor quality - I've had a lot of reliability problems with my old 3G as well. I've never owned a different brand though so don't really know much about reliability comparisons.

Last edited:

jasgstock

(null post.................................)

Last edited:

Homeriuskte

Hey everyone please help

i bought 1st gen white iPod nano 2gb. I used it like for a week and then it showed me this message "use iTunes to restore". I pluged it to my computer (computer showed "itunes detected... must restore..."). So i restored it (i deleted all the songs from the library like one guy at forum said). It restored then restarted and the same message showed!! My iPod doesn't turn on if it's unplugged, and when i plugg it that message apears. Pleaseeeeee help me!!!! I love my ipod!!! pleaseee!!! :( :( :( :) :) :)

Last edited:

jasgstock

Last try - anyone?????

Last try - can anyone help? Please!?

My wife's nano 2G is still a brick. I got her this as a birth day gift last year. I haven't been able to find anything online. It is now completely dead - won't even come up with the "frowning iPod" icon. Apparently the battery is dead, and it won't charge. This is a nearly-new iPod - just over a year old with not a lot of use. It's disappointing to have it break after such a short time.

I've seen some things about how to manually replace the battery - but to be honest I'm not willing to invest that much time on something that may not work and won't save much money anyhow.

chondrocranium

don't worry. i'm having the same problem with my ipod nano 4th gen since i woke up this morning. Black screen, reset button not working, can't empty the battery, can't connect to pc/itunes, etc. A great way to start the day, now i can't think of anything beside my stupid ipod.

suetay

Same problem. Have done eveything itunes suggest. Really depended on it for podcasts as reception is really bad where I live

McJam89

Was able to fix mine :)

Hey guys,

I know this thread is really old and perhaps ya'll have thrown out or replaced your ipods by now. But I had the same problem and perhaps someone in the future may find what I'm about to say helpful.

Problem:
I was working out, listening to music with a full battery, up to date software all that jazz. Anyway when I finished working out I turned off the player and went home. At home I wanted to sync the ipod to get my podcasts. Unfortunately plugging the player into the computer didn't work. I mean the ipod was blank, itunes didn't recognize the player and the player didn't have a charge indicator or error screen or anything. I followed the standard "5rs."

Long story short nothing worked so I figured I had a really expensive paperweight.

Solution:
I left the player unplugged with the hold switch off on my desk overnight because I got tired of dealing with it and figured the next day would be better. I woke up and tried to turn the player on...Nothing. I plugged it into the computer...Nothing. So I toggled the hold switch a couple times and tried the manual reset again (hold MENU + CENTER BUTTON for 15 or so secs). To my amazement the little apple logo appeared and it's back to normal.

yibanbana

I am totally agree with your oppinion.this post is very encouraging to people who want to know these topics.

Katcam94

I tried toggling the hold switch a couple of times, then trying to manually reset it. It did not work. As I got mine used, could it be that the battery is just worn out completely?

kindleportal

Re install your software who operate your e book i sure your i pad color will be change.

HillyHiker

Don't throw it away

My iPod Nano 2nd gen also experienced this "dead freeze" and I gave up trying to fix it. I shoved it in a drawer and forgot about it for a couple of years. Found it again, plugged it in and it magically worked! It worked for about a year... and just today "died" again out of the blue. So frustrating to have it work and then suddenly just... nothing.:shake: One thing that both "freezes" had in common was that the iPod was in my bag when it quit. It was working with full battery shortly before it was completely not working at all. Hoping that if I wait some more it will resolve on it's own again. So, don't throw them away... just might get lucky.

HillyHiker

And boom, life changes! I had tried holding the "menu" and center down together for 15 seconds multiple times all day long but to no avail. Now, held them for about a minute and now it's working again! Wahoo! I think that maybe when it's shoved in a bag or a pocket or something maybe the dial gets pushed down and it resets something. I don't know why it didn't work for the 15 hours that I tried already, or why the reset didn't work until now, but happy that it once again is working. Don't give up!

nicko33

It worked!

Turning the switch on the bottom to the non-locked position (not red), then simultaneously pressing the Menu and center button for more than 15 seconds, while the ipod was directly attached to a wall outlet worked!!!! Thought it was dead forever! Thank you!

dbergreen

I tried toggling the hold switch a couple of times, then trying to manually reset it. It did not work. As I got mine used, could it be that the battery is just worn out completely?
Go to amozon and just order a freakin new one im still working mine