• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

my speculation on the next gen ipod....

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

ragingSPAM

yes i know there are many threads like this but i have never made one and i have yet to see this....anyways here is my idea/concept

apple will bring out a 30gb and 60gb FLASH memory based ipod (considering samgsung has developed 32gb nand flash which can be doubled to make 64gb) so that seems plausible...as for the interface i would say like in the previous patent idea make a full screen but have touch buttons like the 3g only smaller along the side of the device...like a slide bar for volume and maybe even possibly a virtual wheel for navigation if so that would be the sole control for the system...

although this is just my speculation im basically basing what i can think of off of current and upcoming technology trends...i don't wanna get too much into how it looks because that will always be a mystery of apple computers and i don't think they will change the basic shape or look of the ipod...maybe a larger 3 inch screen like the zune with a smaller nano sized click wheels but who the hell knows (other than job's development team)....so yea thats my take...any comments?

edit:

as for the release date my guess is that it will follow previous release cycles with a release around oct. 07 and maybe a nano change up before that...seeing as how a new ipod generation was introduced every 2 years or so (starting from the 2nd gen) with a mid model change a year in between......so yea

i keep up with current trends and technology so my ipod is also up to date...i had a 60gb video first release date and now i have a 80gb...and a 8gb nano...so im just sittin tight for the next generation so i can get one as soon as its release hehe

Last edited:

Pikemann_Urge

I think your ideas are realistic, more or less. However, flash memory is quite expensive. Can you imagine the cost of a 30GB flash based iPod? More than the current 80GB model, that's for sure! Apart from cost it makes sense though.

I wish I could afford to buy a new iPod every few months. They are really enjoyable to unpack and behold.

ragingSPAM

but think about how much the price of technology drops within a year...
a year ago 80gb micro hdds like what they use in the current flagship ipod were really expensive and almost unheard of even tho there were 60gb ones...now look a year later its 80gbs...
now flash memory when the nano came out lil over a year ago 4gbs was ridiculously expensive hence the $250 price back then and now look doubled the memory and its cheaper...
albeit flash development is slower than hdd but samsung a lil over a year ago only had 16gb flash chips and they've been able to double that in less than a year...
hell they weren't expected to come out with 16gb until early 2007 and now in the 4th quarter of 2006 they have 32gb chips

IMO the rate at which technology develops isnt multiplying its exponential

but eric you do have a point...
they will probably bring something out as a flash based ipod and also have a large capacity standard ipod

cxc273

Nittany Lion lounger
I agree that the price of flash memory, though declining, would be prohibitive if used in such large capacity. Eventually Apple might completely ditch the hard drive in iPods in favor of flash memory, though the price of the memory and available capacities would drive the decision as to when.

Though I dearly love my 30GB 5G iPod, I would love to purchase a 2G Nano with the metal body containing 60GB of capacity in the future! Who knows, at the exponential rate capacity is going in flash, it might become reality sooner than we all think!

Shadowpod

Questions

ragingSPAM said:
but think about how much the price of technology drops within a year...
a year ago 80gb micro hdds like what they use in the current flagship ipod were really expensive and almost unheard of even tho there were 60gb ones...now look a year later its 80gbs...
now flash memory when the nano came out lil over a year ago 4gbs was ridiculously expensive hence the $250 price back then and now look doubled the memory and its cheaper...
albeit flash development is slower than hdd but samsung a lil over a year ago only had 16gb flash chips and they've been able to double that in less than a year...
hell they weren't expected to come out with 16gb until early 2007 and now in the 4th quarter of 2006 they have 32gb chips

IMO the rate at which technology develops isnt multiplying its exponential
standard ipod
What would be the break point for a decline in price for flash memory? Can Apple provide manufacturers with a large enough projected purchase to get the price down soon? Would there historical sales be enough of a factor to lead to a drop?

ben7337

Well technology in general just gets cheaper over time right? if people are ahead of what is expected and can have 32 GB of flash memory that would work not for things it will probably be cheap anough in a year or two maybe less even to be used in the iPod. I am somewhat new but I heard it is a 2 yr cycle for the iPod with a new upgrade from the model in the middle of the year like the 5.5G is an upgrade. so the 7G could feesably have flash memory.