My software experiences

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

drac

I'm not sure how much of this will be redundancy, but I'm hoping that this can help both some of the newbies like myself and some of the more experienced folks who may have forgotten what it is like to be new and groping.

Apps rated out of a possible five stars. Ratings are personal and idiosyncratic.

iTunes
iTunes remains the foundation of my iPod use at present. It allows for a simple, smooth syncing experience, and although the "smartlists" are a bit limited, it is still better than the other suites I have tried.
***? (penalties for limited smartlists and the absence of Contacts/Calendar/Notes synching)

Palm2iPod
This is a plugin for the Palm Desktop that provides for seamless, one-click syncing between the Palm Addressbook and the iPod's Contacts, and between the Palm's Datebook and the iPod's Calendar. Palm ToDo and Memo support are apparently planned!
***?

EphPod
I can see how this app would be a godsend to others, in that it combines several functions in one small package- synching, contacts, news, etc- however, it gave me various errors, and concentrated on Outlook synchronisation to the exclusion of Palm Desktop compatibility. The main thing that I would have been interested in would have been the news synching, and I didn't get that to work at all.
** (Subjective rating- who knows? It might work for you!)

iPod Agent
Beautiful app. Great for synching, mp3 export, the works! The problem- and this is a large problem for me- is the massive 20+ MB system file that it needs installed on the PC for operation. Ouch! This requirement would seem to mean that running iPod Agent off the iPod for use at other computers in the house is not possible...

SharePod/ ArPod
These apps look to be exactly what the doctor ordered for copying mp3 files to the various computers I use often. They run off the iPod, and are simple and functional. I can't imagine why they aren't mentioned more often!

iArt
This nascent app works with iTunes to automate the collection of album art from the internet. It's not a mature app yet, but it works well!
***?

iPodLibrary
Another small tool, this one for importing e-books into the iPod.
***?

Weather for Me
I had a run-time error with v.16, but 1.7 is working like a charm!
***?

iTunes Library validator
The appearance may be simple, but it Just Works- at removing those annoying orphans from your iTunes library.

PodUtil
Promising app, but is beastly slow to start up. The startup time is literally ten times that of the other apps!

MyPod Player
I was already biased against this app because of the 20+ MB required download- but it refused to start on my system, giving a run-time error.
[unrated]

Well, again, I hope that my ramblings have been useful to someone other than myself.

What do you guys think of my experiences?

Last edited:

MOCKBA

Website
mediachest.sourceforge.net
Your post is very helpful, however, you may want to:
1. add links to home page and download of every product
2. create a poll with all products you consider useful and then use results of the poll to put stars. Keep your nice work.

W9FIF

AnaPod! The SW for those of us using W98se and anyone else who doesn't want/need iTunes/MMJB. EphPod is a close second, IMHO!

As usual, my 2 cents worth! ;-)

zeve

Hey,
Iam Zeve Salman and I created Weather for Me,
This week I will be releasing Weather for Me version 1.7 that will fix this runtime error.

Expect it tommorow

XBarbarian

Liberty > Security
Thank you Drac, well done m8!

I do appreciate this sort of thing, understanding its a personal experience, and my milage may vary, but its a good heads up!

drac

Downloaded, installed, and thoroughly appreciated.