My Opinion

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

itouchguy360

Well, I must say that I was pretty dissapointed with the Ipad at first. I thought, "Just an oversized Ipod Touch." I still kind of think of it that way, but can see it's capabilities. The hd screen will be cool. I am planning to go to an apple store and try it out when I can. Like others have said, you really need to try it out first. Also, I don't think that the sales will be tremendous in the first year, many because of the price and the fact that the second generation always has lots of improvements. The Ipod Touch and Iphone did not become popular until the second generation, even if it was mainly because of the app store. The Ipad really does need something like the app store to make it special, in my opinion. I think overtime the idea of it will become more popular. Apple should not have mighty expectations for this device though. They need to wait and see what happens. This product must be one that apple listens to the consumer about especially because their will be competition and the market has not fully matured yet.

wyneken

This sounds like a good attitude to take -- don't draw too many premature conclusions until you've held one in your hands.

I expect the iPad to do well, though. In an unintended way, it might turn out that all the competition coming down the road might be a good thing. Everyone seems to be conceding an early lead in the marketplace to Apple -- HP was surprisingly explicit about this, telling tech reporters that they'd been waiting for Apple to reveal its product details and pricing before finalizing the design and feature set of the Slate. This may or may not be a smart move. But one thing it does is create a situation where, for at least a few months, the iPad is THE tablet device on the market, giving it time to create a set of expectations against which newcomers will automatically be measured.

This might be compared to the early days when the iPod was slugging it out in the market with a brigade of competitors, some of them pretty worthy. Most of these other contenders I can't even remember the names of anymore. Which is maybe because there were so many of them, and no single competing mp3 device emerged as the big potential iPod killer. My son was the first among his circle of friends (in our small Maine community) to get an iPod. His friends got various other products that were on the shelf at the local Wal-Mart or Radio Shack or someplace. But none of these other things enjoyed the same kind of "ecosystem" that Apple created with iTunes and the Music Store, and reinforced relentlessly with an impeccably hip ad campaign. Today the only question among this crowd is WHICH iPod to get.

I can see this playing out again. There is a whole host of new tablets out there getting positioned for launch, and expectations are running kind of high for some of them, like the HP thing and the more vaporish Microsoft Courier. But it seems like the sheer number of these Real-Soon-Now devices will make it harder for any given one of them to command a lot of attention. The Slate will hit the shelves at more or less the same time as a dozen other tablets, most of them running a touch-modified version of Windows 7.

At this point, the choice facing consumers will be: Do I want an iPad, or do I want Something Else? And really, when Something Else has Windows at the core of it, how exciting is it going to be? And how well is it even going to work?

Here's an early harbinger, maybe: A review by David Pogue in the New York Times of multitouch computers now on the market from HP and Toshiba. These are computers, not tablets (which means they probably have a lot more power at their disposal), but according to Pogue the actual experience of using them is "slow, slow, slow." Of the HP TouchSmart, he says, "it feels overwhelmed by the simplest tasks."

What kind of name is TouchSmart, anyway? What kind of name is "Dell Mini 5"? This may seem trivial, but if you're fighting to break out of the pack of late starters, it would help to be called something that doesn't feel dated and forgettable from the get-go. I mean, can you imagine: "Yeah, I know everybody's using an iPad, but I've heard really good things about the, um, what was it, Sony Vaio T Series. They've even got an app store. I think."

itouchguy360

You are right. Besides, how many people are really looking for a full fledged computer when thinking about a tablet? When the price goes down, I might just want to go and get one. Like every first gen product though, I usually wait for the second gen to come around and to evaluate competition.

neomonkey

you know what gets me is that everyone is #####ing about the you cant muti-task with the ipad but you can with this netbook or this tablet (im not counting laptops because they are different) and every netbook or tablet i have seen SUCKS at doing one thing let alone muti-tasking but i will give them that yes they can muti-task lol. now im not saying i am going to go and get a ipad right away because that will be silly but i might go and buy one from someone because i think most people that get it will like it but some wont and others will be like i will go and get the 2nd gen ipad so you will be able to buy it off someone for like $200-$300 or i will just have to wait till the 2nd gen comes out (with a cam on it) and get that

JSRinUK

you know what gets me is that everyone is #####ing about the you cant muti-task with the ipad but you can with this netbook or this tablet (im not counting laptops because they are different) and every netbook or tablet i have seen SUCKS at doing one thing let alone muti-tasking but i will give them that yes they can muti-task lol. now im not saying i am going to go and get a ipad right away because that will be silly but i might go and buy one from someone because i think most people that get it will like it but some wont and others will be like i will go and get the 2nd gen ipad so you will be able to buy it off someone for like $200-$300 or i will just have to wait till the 2nd gen comes out (with a cam on it) and get that
I wouldn't necessarily agree with your assessment of netbooks given that mine does for me just fine (without "sucking" most of the time :D), but the one thing that annoys me about those who compare is when they say "The iPad isn't even Widescreen like netbooks are!"

Of course they completely ignore the fact that the iPad's "non-widescreen" is 1024x768 while the netbook's "widescreen" is 1024x600. So the iPad gives you just the same widescreen ability as the netbook but also gives you *extra pixels* for when using it full-screen. Give me 1024x768 over 1024x600 any day.

There are so many people out there who can't just say "it's not for me" or "it's out of my price budget" without trying to justify their lack of interest with these fallacies.

I think your plan to wait is a good one. Personally, I'm keen to get one as soon as I can - budget-willing - but I think you're right that a number of people will be early upgraders when Gen2 comes out (I'm not one of them) and so there will be a great second-hand market for Gen1 models that you could tap into.

It is all in the marketing aspect of the device. Apple has the brand name that is associated with the "coolness" factor. There are very few people who can capture an audience like Steve Jobs. The iPad will be a huge success. Do you remember Captain Picard's tablet from Star Trek The Next Generation in the 90's? Everyone wanted one of those and now they are here. The iPhone was a huge hit 3 year ago.
Don't expect too much from the device as it is first gen. but it is definitely a better investment than a netbook that runs an operating system that was released in October of 2001!

kornchild2002

The iPad will be a huge success.
So I guess you traveled into the future to see that the iPad is a success. How are those lotto numbers working out for you?

The iPhone was a huge hit 3 year ago.
Not initially. The iPhone wasn't selling a whole lot until Apple decreased the price.

but it is definitely a better investment than a netbook that runs an operating system that was released in October of 2001!
Yep, Windows 7 Ultimate was released in October of 2001. Damn, my netbook must be in the dark ages with running Windows 7 Ultimate without hiccups.