• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

My mum just got a new MacBook

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

mrdantownsend

mrdantownsend
Website
www.freewebs.com
and I was wondering what is some good software for the macs. I already downloaded Office 2004 and was wondering if there was any other stuff that's good, because I saw it already comes with alot of apps

I like it a lot, but I don't think I would like it for myself though.

Thanks for any input

JMG

asdf
^ haha maybe.. anyway my must have apps are Xsee which is a more versatile image viewer than Preview, Stickies is a cool way to make notes for yourself, Parallels if she still wants some Windows only apps, VLC for viewing more formats of movies than quicktime, Adium for your IM needs, Transmit for FTP transfers, Overflow for better applications management in your dock, and of course Firefox for net browsing.

SuperNYK992

Website
ns-92.blogspot.com
JMG said:
^ haha maybe.. anyway my must have apps are Xsee which is a more versatile image viewer than Preview, Stickies is a cool way to make notes for yourself, Parallels if she still wants some Windows only apps, VLC for viewing more formats of movies than quicktime, Adium for your IM needs, Transmit for FTP transfers, Overflow for better applications management in your dock, and of course Firefox for net browsing.

I agree with most of these, except there is no need for firefox; Safari is already a superior web browser for the mac. Stickies comes preloaded also. Also, Adium is better than iChat, but unless you are going to use video/voice conferencing, which is only available in iChat..

you have made a wise decision my friend

mrdantownsend

mrdantownsend
Website
www.freewebs.com
SuperNYK992 said:
I agree with most of these, except there is no need for firefox; Safari is already a superior web browser for the mac. Stickies comes preloaded also. Also, Adium is better than iChat, but unless you are going to use video/voice conferencing, which is only available in iChat..

you have made a wise decision my friend
like I said, it's my mom's, not mine, and my mom doesn't chat, but thanks for the input

JMG said:
you downloaded it? Did you pay for it? heheheh
not exactly

but thanks papaya for that lifehacker article and to anyone else who refered useful apps

and again, if you want to refer any other programs, price is not an issue ;)

Last edited:

kyussmondo

Adium X - A great IM program which supports all IM IDs such as MSN, AIM and YIM.

VLC Player - Plays pretty much an video that you can chuck at it and in fullscreen, something which is lacking in Quicktime unless you purchase the Pro version.

Acquisition - The best P2P program for Mac to replace LimeWire, they have LimeWire for Mac but this is better, but you do have to pay a small price for it.

Colloquy - The best IRC program for Mac I have come across.

ClamXav - Great free virus scanner if you get paranoid about viruses, it is not really required though.

Flip4Mac - The only way of streaming WMV files online, this is an add-on for Quicktime which you can get from the Microsoft website.

OnyX - Great maintainence program for clearing up your cache etc to keep your Mac running smoothly.

Pac the Man X - Simple but fun PacMan game if you are bored.

Real Player - For obvious reasons.

StuffIt Expander - The archiver to have on the Mac, uncompresses RAR, ZIP, you name it.

Transmission - Great BitTorrent client, ligtweight and quick.

Uno - Not all of the apps on the Mac are consistent, like Safari still uses brushed metal, use Uno to make all apps apply the same theme.

SizzlingKeys - Lets you use keystrokes from within any application to skip tracks, pause/play etc in iTunes, much better than having to open iTunes all of the time.

I personally prefer using Opera as my main web browser but Safari is more than sufficient, I don't know what so many people see in FireFox personally.

Last edited: